Respectful moderation

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by cluelusshusbund, Mar 1, 2014.

?

All moderation... an mods discussin moderation issues... shoud be done respectfully

1. yes

52.9%
  2. no

41.2%
  3. maybe

5.9%
  1. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

As far as my pont goes... it woud have been beter if i had said use good manners when preformin Mod duties insted of usin the word "respect".!!!

I agree.!!!
    I say... when sombody breaks a rule they shoud be moderated... so i thank we agree on that... but on the issue of mods usin good manners when they are doin ther mod duties... do you thank its to the betterment of Sciforums for mods to use snide remarks.???

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

I agree! I have popped in on a few other forums and found this to be a notch above the rest in regards to moderation and some of the debates.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Then by your own very behaviour, you could not be a moderator (in reference to your question about whether you should put your name up).

In other words, do as I say, not as I do.

Why not?

Because I questioned your motives and asked you actual questions about what you would do as a moderator in certain situations, since you know, you keep reminding us of what you would not do if you were a moderator? Because I queried your role on this site by your very weird and rude PM's you sometimes send out to us? You demand policy discussions with us and then you are rude and snide when we give you what you want in the very polite terms you demand. How should we respond to you?

By being snide, rude and disrespectful?

Not really working out so far.

You are rude and snide when the moderators you invite to participate in the discussion actually participate in the discussion. You wished for and requested a policy discussion. This is it. Just because someone disagrees with your demands for politeness and respect as you see it, you respond by being snide. As I said, respect works both ways. I respected you by being honest with you. You respond to that by being rude and snide. Why should I be polite to you in return?

Martha Stewart also went to prison for fraud.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Amen, out to Pasture with it...

I think you thank wrong... Nice try though.

8. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Mayb so... but i have a good feelin about it :xctd:... an thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I think that sarcasm and snide remarks are okay if they are truthful even if they hurt. I'm somewhat of a sarcastic person myself, so I guess I don't think less of people who are the same. Also, I have no way (or time/will) to read all the forum posts on sciforums since I have a life and job. So when I see a moderator, who does spend a lot of time with the posters and their actions/attitudes and they are snide and a bit caustic with certain posters, then I know that the person in question is either a problem child or someone who is equally snide and honest. I kinda like both those kinds of people, because they are entertaining in their own ways so it helps me pay more attention to them and less attention to the mediocre average joe's who really don't say much. *shrug*

Boiling it down, I think the moderators are snide because of experiences with posters that we may not see and may not be aware of. You can't ask them to be doormats, I like personality so snide/rude/honest comments are a-ok with me.

(It takes all my willpower not to edit your comments

I actually twitch visibly while reading your posts... btw. Just saying.)

10. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

So you're still alive then, Liebling?

Shadow runner.

11. Liebling Doesn't Need to be Spoonfed. Valued Senior Member

I am alive today, but only because I've had my coffee this morning. Good to see you Marquis, it's been awhile. Hope all is well in your world.

12. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

My world is the same as it always was.
    It isn't really logical to replace the framework that allows one to be what one is with something else, if that something else would not allow the one to be who he is.

13. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

That suites me fine.!!!
    We agree agan

Thers plenty of opportunity for mods to be snide/rude/honest wit whoever they want in regular posts... an i say go for it... but to the queston at hand... do you thank its to the betterment of Sciforums for mods to use snide remarks while wearin ther mod hat/performin ther mod duties.???
    Eventualy you will come to love cluelusshusbund... everbody does

14. Nightshift Banned Banned

I saw some posts by Rpenner, not sure if it was this thread, but whatever you do don't make them a mod. They will censor it to fuck, they will ban members who don't deserve bans and they will intentionally drive away free thinking. This site should be valued for it's brilliant and wonderful collection of vivid minds.

15. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

It wasn't this thread. Not sure who "them" is supposed to stand for.
    Corrected. The use of vivid in conjunction with brilliant too easily brings up images of tie-dye.

16. Nightshift Banned Banned

If you think I'd believe for a second you wouldn't run the physics forum with an Iron fist which objects to free and open discussions about topics. Already you have objected and projected your feelings about the question whether there is any fine tuning in the universe. I don't understand why in the same thread, you stuck up for origin, one of the worst trolls here who can't even perform a square root sign. So tell me why you are sticking up for him and then... quite nastily vote a ban on me?

You're not moderator material.

17. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

This topic is not about what you believe if you can't communicate rational reasons for that belief. This thread is not about an "Iron fist" but about respectful use of the "Iron fist." This thread is not about "free and open discussions about topics" but about the correct role of moderation in a particular forum with a particular owner who has established a particular intent for the forum. The very concept of moderation guarantees that not all discussion (indeed, perhaps not all topics) can be free, for if all were free then there would be no moderation at all.
    Why do you seek to deny my human right to object to what I consider to be bad ideas? Why do you seek to deny the validity of my feelings as a human being? I have not yet seen "the question whether there is any fine tuning in the universe," as problematic as that construction is, expressed as a scientific question (which would seem to be relevant considering the particular forum in which the question was raised). What conceivably observationally accessible physical evidence would render the answer "yes" inconsistent with reality? What conceivably observationally accessible physical evidence would render the answer "no" inconsistent with reality? Kindly write a paragraph answer to each and reply in an appropriate thread, not this one.
    I don't understand why you think opposition to your posts is to be interpreted as membership in a clique or "st[icking] up for origin." Could you elucidate this later claim by citing a specific example? Cliques are defined by inclusive properties, such as common socialization practices. Here you have at best argued that origin and I are both part of your outgroup, not a clique. I don't know origin, can't tell you origin's gender, location or favorite topic.
    I think that the claim that origin is "one of the worst trolls here" is baseless. I'm not sure how one objectively awards relative "troll" rankings, especially given the question of identity of poster on an Internet forum is problematic. I don't know what you mean when you say origin "can't even perform a square root sign" but whether it is his own math or merely cribbed from better sources, he adequately summarizes the analytic geometry of cosmological expansion in [post=3170560]a recent thread.[/post]
    I didn't so much vote a ban on you, as [POST=3171086]I called for a ban on you[/POST] which I for support for:
    • Your early and repeated personal attacks which look like the signal of an immature person with emotional baggage related to this forum, whether because you are a sockpuppet of a previously banned user or merely a frequenter of similar science discussion forums hosted elsewhere,
    • Your advocacy of useless ideas as if they were scientific,
    • The paucity and sterility of your arguments, including
      • avoiding carrying the burden of proof and
      • substituting outrage for substantive argument or even comprehensive denial
      , and
    • a high post rate filled with opinions which are not reliably grounded in relevant expertise.
    In short, I feel you are all too typical of what happens when people confuse freedom of speech and expression (which I support in public forums, which this privately owned website is not) and equality of opinions (which is the antithesis of expertise and science [and useful reporting on matters of fact and science]).
    Again, you assert this proposition, but leave important concepts undefined and do not seek to argue for this proposition. In contrast, I have argued that your posts and your behavior have fallen below the level I naively expect to see on a forum established for the discussion of scientific topics. Quoting this line verbatim is to be taken as evidence that you did not read the post you are replying to.

18. Nightshift Banned Banned

Your ''list'' sounds more intelligent than it really is. You're making some assumptions in there based on a poor understanding of what kind of person I am. You've based an opinion of me from no interaction whatsoever, the first interaction involved you coming into a thread and specifically targeting me alongside the resident trolls, which contrary to your unsound belief, Origin is a troll. Certainly not baseless, given the recent interaction of Kitamaru who had to tell him to back off.

So no, you would never make a good mod. Though you act quite trollish yourself, you complain of my threads having no idea's, but you've hardly even integrated any discussion in them yourself. You've just waited until an opportune time to attack me, this much is quite clear.

19. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Okay you two... there is obviously some bad blood/history here... how about the two of you just agree to disagree and move on, hmm? Let the evidence prevail in the end.

20. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I unilaterally agree to Kittamaru's suggestions. Posts #91-#95 are dead to me. I oppose the revisiting of them and leave Nightshift with both the opening and closing salvos both here and in whatever other present thread(s) he has mentioned or responded to me.

21. Nightshift Banned Banned

Fine.

22. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Stoniphi:

For me, "respect" means more than merely being polite and open to interaction with the other person. Respecting somebody means that you have come, over time, to value the opinions of the other person, or the way they conduct themselves, or their achievements, or a combination of these. This is why I say that respect must be earned.

23. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

"Sockpuppet of Reiku, trapped and all his other sockpuppets.. Get some help mate."

That is on the ban list as why the person was baned.!!!

What is the purpose of the snide remark "Get some help mate".???

Other than "Bells"... what other mod suports such mod behavior.???