Retribution - rephrased without using a certain name

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Barney_TRubble, Oct 16, 2001.

1. kmguru Staff Member

Our Sun may not go supernova but can become a Red Giant. Throw in a tinkering of human activities, we could artificially induce supernova activity by chance or by design. Then there are blackholes that are the vaccum claener of the universe. One such Blackhole heading our way....it is the end, my friends...unless we run to another part of our Milky Way galaxy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reign_of_Error Registered Senior Member

kmguru

I'd really like to know how you think we would artificially induce a supernova of our sun...

other than that.. be excellent to eachother

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. blonde_cupid Registered Senior Member

For better or worse

When face-to-face with someone who professes to believe that it is never O.K. to strike back because it makes you no better than your attacker, that violence begets violence, yada, yada, yada - follow these simple steps:

Step 1. Punch the person in the face as hard as you can.

Step 2. When they get up off the floor to punch you back, remind them of their principles - that it is never O.K. to strike back - because it would make them no better than you, that violence begets violence, yada, yada, yada - and when they stop and realize what they were about to do and they start saying, "That's right, I'm not going to hit you back because..." stop them in mid-sentence by punching them in the face again, harder than the last time.

Step 3. Repeat step 2 until they understand that sometimes it is necessary to punch back.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. kmguru Staff Member

Sounds good to me blonde_cupid. An excellent suggestion. Then they will get smart and learn to punch back. Soon we will be punching each other until cows come home. It will not stop until one side is destroyed. Then whatever is left, many years will pass - the winning group will divide into two. The same game will be played again and again...new religions will pop up...

This never ending struggle of who is right will continue until there are no more humans left....to fight on ideology...

So...so is life....

8. blonde_cupid Registered Senior Member

For better or worse

Glad you liked my suggestion, kmguru.

How about this: Encourage them to hold onto extreme pacifism especially when the one who is hitting them is a relentless fanatic who does not listen to reason and believes that they are not worthy of life. Encourage them to allow themselves to be punched again and again until they die. All their wordly problems might be solved in death but the terrorist lives on to complete the ethnic cleansing of the world.

Even cleansed as such, the world might still be faced with the same situation you describe: Many years will pass and the remaining group will divide in two, etc...

Moderation is the key, I believe. If one values life, even if they are passive by nature, there are certain extreme situations where it is necessary to strike back at an aggressor. This is one of them.

Peace.

9. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Who is the agressor in this case? And why are you all so doom thinking about the starving of the Planet.
    A good, big Tsunami is enough.
    I wish I may see it happen, I love it.
    The Earth is nearly at its end. Earth is tired of all the violence at her back. We have to give Earth the rest she needs to recover. If we do not so, Nature will stand up, as happened before, in Ancient Times.
    What will happen is the question.
    Nothing more. Oh, and when will it happen.
    Well, that is a great surprise for us all.
    May people live, after that, I guess then it will be people who can make Earth well again. The people who know and live like that already. People who are one with Nature and Earth.
    They will live, to take care of the New Clean Earth...

10. kmguru Staff Member

It is the age old story. King...Tyrant...Oppression...fight or flight.

King...good king...live in harmony. There are/were very few good kings. A story needs to be looked at in its entirety not just a snippet in the middle.

Doing so does not solve anything. US Admin has the right idea, let us hope it is followed through....

11. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Kmguru, what do you mean by; US Admin. has the right idea?
    I do not understand.
    Can you explain please?
    Thank you.

12. kmguru Staff Member

The bottom line in this terrorist saga is this:

The Bush adminstration inherited the problems of the world, the grievances of everyone. Those terrorists and their symphathizers do not understand our government system, so they blame past activities to the present group. Now, had they have legitmate complains, they could have lobbied using thier millions of dollars and got some actions out of our new President. Instead those idiots wasted their money on exporting violence to US soil. All they could have done is hire a good Washington lobby group, and walla...they would have been heros...

The result is a campaign to weed them out. If Bin Laden, would have used the money to lobby congress for his cause to improve Afghanistan or whatever, he would have been a real hero. Now a lot of people are going to die, he will go down as the most evil person next to Hitler. Even idiots can change the world....

We will do what needs to be done....

13. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Bravo, kmguru ...

Spoken ... errr ... written like a true American!
    Have you already had the American flag tattooed on your forehead?

Oh, and by the way ...
    And immediately tried to distance themselves from the world ... Only it didn't work.

Oh well, that that's life ... or rather ... death.

14. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

There are a kind of people on this world, who are just not good, they are bad, 'evil' if you want.
    Some people have that pretty young. Most of the times it has to do with parenthood, but not always. There are some people who just ARE 'evil'. I do not know why, it seems to be that way. I think this is once in the so many years that such person stands up and lets hear something from him/herself.
    Just like some people have the order to make big trouble for the world. Like it is our duty to catch these people in time, before they catch us. I can not explain exactly what I mean, but I can feel it. Maybe some more of you do feel it.
    Bin Laden has been waiting for the right time, the right time to get America good, with thousands of dead people. Innocent people. It is terrible, but these things happen, every time a new.
    Look at history, why should this be this way? I really don't have a clue.
    Kmguru? You have an idea?

15. kmguru Staff Member

Not quite, but close. Let us see...

The flag is on my carry-on luggage to ward off evil pilots who think every brown skinned first class passenger is a potential threat.

There is a flag on our tree close to the driveway and the street. A small flag such that no one steals it in the true American spirit. Someone stole 3 flags from this rednecks flagpole (3 of them)close to the state highway.

There is a small lapel flag made in China, I have not dared to use it yet.

I do need an American Flag tattooed on my forehead so that I do not get flack from the airline employees and the airport authority. The morons can not differentiate people from Saudi and Lebanon verses people from India (we lost 250 at WTC).

16. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

How has the Bush adminstration tried to distance itself from the world? It seems to me that Junior got dropped into the thick of things. It just so happens that he's got bigger balls than everybody thought. He just doesn't flash them around like the last pres did.

The only thing I've seen that the Bush administration has done to be seen as distancing itself from the world is to try to tend to America's problems first, such as the recession. If looking to his own house before propping up someone else's is a crime against the world, then to hell with the world.

17. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oh well ...

kmguru ...
    I well realize that these will be trying times for people of color ... hang in there, the hysteria will hopefully pass.

Oxygen ...
    If you want to refer to 'balls' you had better look to the Mayor of New York City rather than Dubya who let his 'handlers' bounce him around half the country before letting him return to D.C. where he should have been as soon as possible instead of hiding out from those 'evil terrorists'.

18. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

To defend Junior, as the Commander in Chief and the President, he's a pretty important dude. They couldn't just wisk him back to DC until they made sure it was safe. They had originally wanted to wisk him away to Camp David where he'd really be safe. It was his choice to go to DC, and his advisors still thought he went back too soon. Why was he bounced around the country? The situation was still unclear, and a moving target is harder to hit. It was just good tactics. (Ever play paintball? It's the first lesson you learn, ouch!

)

I'm not knocking NYC's mayor by a long shot. I doubt very many mayors from any city would have shown the guts he has. If any one has the right to the title "Your Honor", it's him.

19. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oxygen ...

He is a 'pretty important dude' ... but that's why we have a Vice-President waiting in the wings. Remember, the country didn't fall apart when Kennedy was assasinated or Regan was shot.

The only reason I could figure regarding the madness was that Cheney is in such rough shape that they (the corporate interests) couldn't take a chance on anything happening to Dubya.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2001
  20. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I don't know about the logic in your first paragraph. Just because we have a back-up president means we shouldn't look to the safety of the first one?

21. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Oxygen ...

What I attempted, apparently unsuccessfully, to convey was that although the Presidency is important in our Democracy, the individual is not. It isn't as though he were the 'Son of God' to be protected at all costs (although, come to think of it, HE wasn't protected at all).

Would you care to inform me why Dubya is so important? In your world view, that is.

22. Counterbalance Registered Senior Member

~~~~~~

Coming in late on this thread but thought I'd toss this into the ring.

My impression of "why" Dubya was bounced around was because they (the administration and the military) were scrambling to check out other possible terrorist's targets--including the choice spots in D.C. Probably didn't want Dubya sitting down to lunch in the White House before checking the underside of the table for plastic explosives. These strikes were major, they happened relatively fast, came from different directions, and I can see the sense of "protecting" both the President and the Vice President until everyone was more confident about what was a secure area and what wasn't.

I didn't feel let down in any way to know that Bush wasn't behind his earthbound desk at the time. We have the technology allowing him to remain "in touch" and "in control" without putting him at risk.

If something had happened to him, imagine the outcry from America about how stupid it was to allow him to be so easily targeted. Imagine what a victory it would have been for the terrorists. I also remember him spending many hours on site where the attacks occured, and soon after they occurred. Perhaps spending more time among the ruins than some of our past presidents would have.

If someone else has already expressed these views, I apologize for the redundancy. Didn't sound like it however.

Just more food for thought....

Counterbalance

23. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

Thank you, Counterbalance. You took the words right off of my keyboard.

Chagur- I place importance on the post of the Presidency in general because of the awesome responsibility that comes with it. I assume that the leader of any nation has the same or similar responsibilities. The President is not a mere puppet for darker, shadowy powers. I know he's not the absolute final say in all things American, but he's not the marionette that his detractors would make him out to be. He is a man with a job to do. He's the head of a very large corporation, so to speak, and whether or not the malcontents are right about how Junior got into office (I believe it was legitimate, but that could be another thread altogether), he is the right man for the job. When you've got a tool that's working well, you take care of it.

That's why I see Junior as so important. He's actually working. Why do you not consider him so important?