"Rip Tide" kills three swimmers in Cornwall

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Captain Kremmen, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately, one of these people died as a result of trying to rescue other people in difficulties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-29782487

Good video here about riptides if you do any sea swimming.
    (Oh, and it's not a tide it's a current)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Always remember to swim away from shore with the riptide until you can swim out of it by swimming to either side of it.

just don't panic and try to fight the current, that's what kills swimmers for they can never outswim the current going against it.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bells Staff Member

Swim across it until you are out of it (so going parallel to the beach), instead of trying to swim against it, which is going to tire you and this is where the risk of drowning is greatest. The rip itself cannot kill you. Trying to swim against it or not being a confident swimmer and/or panicking is where people end up drowning. If you aren't a confident swimmer, then just lie on your back and let it take you out, and then swim back in (if you need to swim around it, then do so) at your own pace and let the waves push you back into shore. Or stick your arm up out of the water and into the air to signal for help.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. billvon Valued Senior Member

I've been caught in a few of these. They are remarkably fast; you're really moving when you're in them. Almost like being in a rapids in a river.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Faster than most people can swim.
    And they can spring up unpredictably.
    If you swim in the sea, you need to be familiar with them.
    When you see flags at a beach, they have a meaning.
    I bet that a lot of regular swimmers don't know 100% what the flags mean.
    These are the common flags.
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeguard

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Red generally means danger, and green means safe.
    Like traffic lights.
    If anyone knows of exceptions, please post.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  9. Bells Staff Member

I taught my sons these lessons a few years ago and it is something we keep reminding them of each time we go to the beach. The eldest especially is a keen boarder and surf swimmer. He can spot them quite well now. They are a very quick way to make it past the breaks if you are a surfer or boarder. But it's not something I would encourage people to do unless they are confident swimmers. It is very disconcerting the first few times, and yes, you do move very fast. The main thing is to not panic.

10. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

regarding the "dont panic" motto that is being pushed around by the government as a guidelines for its citizens to pursue during times of hazard...it is wrong. Panicking, saves lives. 9/11 for example, those who did not panicked and formed single line on top of the 100th floor...died.

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Oh, awesome color coding. And people wonder why there aren't so many red-green colorblind people.

12. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Only 8% of men are colour blind.

13. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

And how many of that eight percent swim?

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The rest drowned!

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

16. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I don't know.
    8% maybe?

17. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I thought the ways to escape a rip tide was common knowledge? I was taught that... goodness, I couldn't have been more than 8 or 9 years old at the time... best way to survive it, lay on your back and slowly swim parallel to the shore - when yous top being pulled away from the shore, you are out of it and can start swimming back. So long as you aren't a muscle-bound full-cord freak, you SHOULD be buoyant enough that it will take you little to no energy to remain afloat. If there is a life guard on duty or other people around, calling for help might work, but you have to use sharp, loud sentences to be heard over the tide crashing on the shore.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Suggestion for sentences:
    "Help! Help!"

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Fastest one I was in was due to a very shallow tidal plain that was exposed at low tide. The tide would start coming in, waves would start washing onto the plain - and for a while it was great fun, because you had a few acres of shallow water that was quite warm. Then the water would build up high enough, you'd get a break in the sandbar enclosing the plain, and all that water would leave very abruptly. It really was like being on rapids in a river. Fortunately it was also easy to see the extent of it and swim back in once it petered out.

20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Actually, they have found that people often ignore "help"... I don't really know why people do, but it seems to hold some merit. Something a bit more unusual / louder (ending on a closed syllable makes your voice peter out) such as "Ahoy" or... well... nothing is springing to mind right now... damn I'm tired (2 hours of sleep + 12 hour work day = brain fart)

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I can't see "Ahoy" working on it's own.
    You could try alternating "ahoy" with "help".

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Drowning non-swimmers, as opposed to swimmers in distress, will often die very quietly.
    A lifeguard will be trained to look for signs of drowning, but to the average bystander they may look fine.

http://thatscurious.tumblr.com/post/2628816400/instinctive-drowning-response-why-you-cant-shout-or

23. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The usual recommendation in my region is to yell "Fire!" We don't have rip tides around here, though.