running multiple operating systems old windows versions

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by RainbowSingularity, Dec 21, 2019.

1. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

i was given an old expensive camera as a present

i want to run an old windows version so i can hook up and load some old camera software
    a new camera will cost around 2500 which i cant afford
    the old one is equally worth this but the windows updates have disabled the software
    now im trying to install software which is being blocked by windows updates

windows ddl is looking for a file that is missing
    it appears to be a deliberate fake dll destination folder used to wipe out the old versions in a windows update
    i feckin hate this bullshit

so i need to run an old version of windows that i can load the software to so i can operate the camera software.

or risk editing the registry to remove the dll and risk loosing my operating system
    (i prefer not to do this as it appears from reading peoples comments that the camera software has been blocked by windows deliberately)
    this should negate the need to install new firmware which looked like it was a trick to try and block hardware and create new sales.

any tips or suggestions most welcome

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Seattle Valued Senior Member

What kind of error messages are you getting. Is Windows not recognizing a driver. Is it a USB problem (USB 2.0 vs 3.0)?

Can you take pictures and read the memory card with a card reader?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

done the card reader thing, doesn't work dll in windows 64 is still looking for the same file
    even though i have uninstalled everything(which suggests it has written to the registry as a file that cant be un-installed which is a bit nasty of Microsoft.

windows dinotify missing
    (dll)
    it almost looks like a custom patch to shut out unknown devices from the usb ports.
    i run both usb 2 & 3
    32 bit system dll running on a 64bit system

i don't see why the dll should see it as missing
    i don't want to wind it back to 32 bit
    i am guessing the hkey where the dll is sitting which is a windows update was written specifically to shut out unknown devices to force people to buy new products and software or done so to shut out competition who would not pay Microsoft a fee to load keys in to ID devices not in their pay per view list view thing.

i guess i could try a dual install running on 32 bit(i think i will try this 1st)
    1 on 64 as is
    new one on 32 bit
    but i expect the os will kill its self if it ids the other drive with the same windows os id on

thanks

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

your question has reminded me that maybe doing a fresh install on a partition on 32 bit may allow it to read, unless it locks it out by forcing online registration and locks it out with compulsory updates.

so much for open competition(angry rant)

so i am pondering
    fresh install at 32 bit on separate partition
    or
    deleting the dll
    or
    deleting the hkey string
    or
    deleting the windows update which contains the dll in the hkey string

i would prefer not to mess around with my boot sector stuff

hhmmm...
    lack of open source peer to peer is creating mind boggling E-waste

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

found the answer(only 1 answer)
    only took me a week lol
    need to do a fresh install at 32 bit
    which will format/wipe all data on what ever i install to.

Seattle likes this.
  8. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Glad you found the answer. Let us know when you have the camera running properly.

You know more about this stuff than I do but I have had enough "specialty products" that were quirky to know a few things to consider. The solution is rarely as complicated as it initially appears but Googling is still usually required to get you on the right path.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

RainbowSingularity likes this.