Rush Limbaugh, he's alright, or he's a nazi (split thread)

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gravity, Sep 13, 2004.

1. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Hey, if your a regular listner to limbaugh, you'd understand that thats his humor. far from an attack, lighten up. yuk it up a little!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I listened to that jackass for years. Familiarity only bred further contempt. Being forced to listen to his endless stream of logical fallacies was one of the reasons I quit my last job.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lostmind Registered Senior Member

I'm curious, what is one of his logical fallacies?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

His number one weapon of choice:

Ad hominem: a direct attack against the person, the persons circumstances, or the belief that the person doesn't practice what she/he preaches, rather than dealing with the opposing argument.

http://www.aros.net/~wenglund/Logic101a.htm

He's also big on:
    False dichotomy (bifurcation), "either/or", or the "all-or-nothing" mistake: presenting only two options (typically where both are are undesirable) where multiple options exist.

Straw man: attempting to refute one's opponent's proposition by attacking the misrepresentation of the opponent's position.

These are the ones he typically uses several times an hour.

8. Roman Banned Banned

Wouldn't calling Rush a hypocrite for doing oxy be an ad hominem?

9. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Repo, I just dont hear it the way you hear it. Not saying that your wrong but He points out the things the media chooses to leave out and I'm A DEM and I can admit that.

10. lostmind Registered Senior Member

bingo

11. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

In this case, it is pointing out his hypocrisy. That is dealing with the issue at hand.

That was also the irony laden subtext for Al Franken's Rush Limbaugh is a Big, Fat Idiot, an ad hominem attack on someone who is constantly comitting ad hominem attacks.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2004
  12. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

Tells it like it is?

Some people can't handle the truth?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I always was of the persuasion that "truth" has to stand up to some sort of logic test.

If I had a nickle for every fallcy that man used...

I see why Rush might resonate with some people. He strikes a cord with many people, because quite simply, many people see things the same way. However, this does not provide an objective 'truth' as you would like us to think. Those of us who don't agree with Mr. Limbaugh see that he just uses rhetoric to spew out what he wants people to believe. No need for logic, no need for compassion.

People like Rush Limbaugh for the same reason people like someone like Bertrand Russell. They read or listen to his rhetoric, see that it can apply to them and run with it. It just so happens that the latter was a student of logic...

13. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Even if he is full of these so-called "logical fallacies," he is still entertaining to listen to. He does tell it like it is, usually.

I like Michael Savage better. He is more caustic in his commentary.

14. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Your right, He speaks the truth as i see it and the reason I know it's the truth for me because I lived it. But you know that there is only one truth. It really depends on your outlook on life how you see the truth.
    give me an example of a fallcy.

15. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

16. lostmind Registered Senior Member

Well, I dont want to argue about it but I've been listing to rush for a while and with his words of encoragement, I've grown as a person, im much more open minded, not to mention more financially stable. His main message overall is to be self sufficient and to let us blacks know that it's ok to come off of the plantation.

17. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

"One obvious way to try to weaken a cause is to discredit the person who champions it. So-the masters of invective and insinuation have been busy: I am a 'bird lover-a cat lover-a fish lover,' a priestess of nature, a devotee of a mystical cult having to do with laws of the universe which my critics consider themselves immune to." - Rush Limbaugh

This is a ad hominem, and Rush openly believes in it! Discrediting a person does not discredit their claims; you have to attack the claims not the person. If for example a retard says “Don’t jump over a cliff” then you could say “Well you’re a retard so you must be wrong!” and off the cliff you go.
    In more detail: http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

"Didn't Tom Cruise make a stock-car movie in which he destroyed thirty-five cars, burned thousands of gallons of gasoline, and wasted dozens of tires? If I were given the opportunity, I'd say to Tom Cruise, 'Tom, most people don't own thirty-five cars in their life, and you just trashed thirty-five cars for a movie. Now you're telling other people not to pollute the planet? Shut up, sir.'" - Rush Limbaugh

This is Ad Hominem Tu Quoque, a fallacy were you discredit a persons claims by calling them a hypercritic. If a person makes inconstant claims that does not prove the claim of his that you choose incorrect (though at least one of the two conflicting claims must be false) If for example a retard says “Don’t jump over a cliff” then you could say “Well you jump off cliffs all the time!” and off the cliff you go.
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem-tu-quoque.html

for more examples please read the below:
    http://info-pollution.com/adhom.htm
    http://www.drury.edu/ess/Limbaugh.html

18. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Heh! Limbaugh, a bunch of times, got busted for making racist comments. You think he respects you? Then he has played you like a fiddle! He resigned from ESPN specifically because he knew he was going to get fired for a racist comment. Luckily, for him, its tough to get fired from your OWN show - because he has made racist comments about African Americans several times - like when he told a black guy with a strong southern accent to "take that bone out of your nose". And other such stuff. If you write off all the crap he has said, making excuses for it . . . then he owns you.

19. lostmind Registered Senior Member

I dont need limbaughs respect or anyone elses for me to succeed in life. Respect is over rated anyway. its just a stupid human idea, that doesn't determine anything. I dont believe rush is racist, He just says what those who feel the same way are afraid to say. Us blacks have been making excuses for too long. That espn thing wasn't racist. What he said was true. The nfl wants to see a black quarter back succeed because it feels guilty for not having a bunch of them in the past. Thats a fact! you see it in everyday society. we blacks get special treatment for the wrongs that have been done to us in the past. And the bone in the nose comment, Yes some of us act that way, uncivilized,ignorant,stupid and lazy. I can say it because I've lived it and I saw it growing up!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2004
  20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

lostmind,

Your last post can be summed up as a called a generalization fallacy were a statement is used to cover over to large of a category to definitively. One exception can invalidate the argument. Also parts of it can be classified as a Bias Sample fallacy were personal observations are erroneously assumed to be statically true.

21. lostmind Registered Senior Member

tell me why it wont work in plan english. wheres the flaw? If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2004
  22. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Generalization fallacy: ALL you blacks have been making excuses for too long? Not a single one is not a helpless pussy?

Bias sample fallacy, personal experience does not mean statically fact. You cannot prove a claim by saying you have seen it with your own eyes.

Prove it. This is a Composition fallacy were several diffrent things are linked up without evidence.

23. lostmind Registered Senior Member

(1)Some of us think we are helpless but thats a flaw in our thinking because some of us have a slave mentality, like we cant do anything without some sort of assistance.

(2) I dont beleive stats, the can be scewed in any way. Yes you can prove a claim by seeing it with your own eyes. If you are a witness to something, you witnessed it. if I saw someone hit a child with a car,. That car indeed hit that child. If I know blacks who made excuses and then later in life admit they were excuses., thats a proven claim.

(3) Why do you think we get praised so much for doing simple things that white people have been doing for years. it's because it was once believed that we were sub human, not able to think or perform as well as a white person and now they see they were wrong. some feel guilt and give us extras to try to right the wrongs. affirmative action, welfare, awards and praise for accomplishing the accomplishable.