Russiagate

Discussion in 'Politics' started by billvon, Mar 23, 2017.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

Again, Nixon all over again. Nixon didn't go down for the "actual crime" he went down for the coverup - and the biggest part of the coverup was firing the person leading the investigation. And obstructing justice IS illegal.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

Well, he is a Trump supporter, and they traditionally celebrate ignorance. After all, the #1 indicator of whether someone is a Trump supporter is their level of education; undereducated people are almost universally Trump supporters.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

By race. Education doesn't indicate without race.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Randwolf Ignorance killed the cat Valued Senior Member

Why, pray tell, must you drag me from character? Only to admit - you are right, we must follow law, this is not GOT. IRL there will be no hanging, no drawing, no quartering - not even a decent circular firing squad. However, I really, really, really do care that the Trumpster is removed ASAP - he is a clear and present danger. When I discuss politics face to face these days I can't even get to "issues" - the man himself is abhorrent beyond all comprehension, regardless of politics. I have never seen this before so I have no precedent to call upon. I was only 12 when Nixon said goodbye - I guess that's as close as it gets.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Forgive me if you quoted Frontpagemag and I forgot to mention it's contributors are white supremacists and paid Trump liars.

9. douwd20 Registered Senior Member

Putin must have ordered Trump to return the compounds. Trump happy to oblige given the Russians role in installing him at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

The Trump administration is moving toward handing back to Russia two diplomatic compounds, near New York City and on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, from which its officials were ejected in late December as punishment for Moscow’s interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Trump administration moves to return Russian compounds in Maryland and New York

joepistole likes this.
  10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Returning the compounds would be politically suicidal for Trump. He wouldn't lose his base. He wouldn't lose Republican entertainment, but he would lose any marginally attached folks, and he would alienate some Republicans in Congress. Trump's congressional margins are thin, even in the house, because Republicans aren't united.

11. timojin Valued Senior Member

I like that. If you don't agree with my way then you are ignorant !
    Generally republican watch the spending Democrats want to spend the money.
    My sons are democrats they are big spenders > is good for the economy ,

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, yes, but in whose eyes? His numbers went back up during the 22-28 May period. Eighty-seven percent, among Republicans.

13. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

He needs more than Republicans to get elected.

14. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

He only needs Republicans in the House in order to prevent his impeachment.

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

GW Bush increased spending far more than his predecessor Clinton did.
    Obama increased spending far less than GWB did.
    Trump's original budget ended up spending more than Clinton's did. (The latest GOP budget is not yet realistic, and won't pass either legislative body.)

Both parties want to increase spending. The democrats want to raise taxes to pay for the spending; the republicans want to cut taxes while spending more.
    I didn't claim that. What I claimed is that Trump supporters celebrate ignorance. They are, as a group, undereducated, and they disdain "clueless ivory tower" types while preferring Joe the plumber figures. They enjoy fake news, and regularly deny scientific studies about the effectiveness of vaccines and the science behind climate change.

16. birch Valued Senior Member

No, they have their own ivory tower types like trump. he's ostentatious glamour and power but underneath it all, he is one of them. there is a lack of originality and a keep up with the joneses's mentality among conservatives. the real originality comes from liberals or independents. have you seen his overly gold-leafed penthouse? he and his wife think that is the epitomy of good taste. because, you know, it's gold being the known symbol of wealth. lol

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  17. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Comey is set to testify before Congress next week. Will Trump attempt to prevent Comey's testimony by exerting executive privilege? If he does, I think at best all he can do is stall Comey's testimony, and the attempt will make him look desperate. But it is consistent with what Trump has done in the past. Trump has done everything within his power to delay the investigation. So why should he stop now?

There is a cover-up underway. What is Trump trying to cover-up?

Trump and the Russians cannot even get their story straight. Russia says the Kushner-Russia secret meeting was about private business between Russia and Kushner's business, and Trump's White House says the meeting was about US government business. And why would Flynn, who was also in attendance, need to meet with Russian intelligence officials about private business with the Kushner family? So which is it? Is Russia telling the truth or is the White House telling the truth? Perhaps neither is telling the truth.

They cannot get their story straight.

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/03/why-cant-the-white-house-get-its-russia-story-straight

douwd20 likes this.
  18. timojin Valued Senior Member

What would like to happen to Trump ?

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think it's highly likely Trump will be impeached and removed from office or forced to resign from office. I expect "The Donald" will be "yugely" disgraced and Trump will be branded a looser. Yeah, I don't think Trump is long for the office he holds.

Once removed from office, Vice President Pence will become POTUS. As POTUS, Pence may give Trump a pardon, but if he does, it will come at great personal political cost to Pence and it will certainly doom Pence's political aspirations a la Gerald Ford. So the question is; will Pence sacrifice his political aspirations for The Donald? I don't think so. But we will have to wait and see.

If Comey testifies as expected, his testimony will become a basis for impeachment. I think Trump's murky financial ties will eventually be revealed by these investigations, and when that happens Trump is looking at jail time and financial ruin at which point his wife will likely divorce him given he will be in a jail cell and no longer able to support her life style. I expect a number of his closest campaign advisers will also wind up in a jail cell, e.g. Flynn, Manafort, et al.

At this point, given what is known of Kushner, Kushner may be looking at jail time too. He could follow his father and his father-in law into a federal prison.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  20. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Hopefully Ryan, McConnell, and all the other GOP rats that helped this shitshow go on this long go down the tubes with him... good riddance!

joepistole likes this.
  21. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree, but I don't think it will happen. Ryan and McConnell have something Trump doesn't: competence. Ryan and McConnell are too slimy to ever get caught. They are like eels. Have you ever tied to catch an eel?

22. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I caught one once - the bait was similar to what was used for a bottom feeder (an amusing irony actually) - though in this case, I would think copious amounts of high explosive would work better for these slimy critters, but I digress.

joepistole likes this.
  23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

#incompetence | #WhatTheyVotedFor

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It's worth pointing out that particular morbid assessment from Vanity Fair was three months ago.

Incompetence makes for a less satisfying explanation than conspiracy. Yet it is hard not to see simple naivety and political inexperience at work. The merry band of outsiders who rode into Washington with plans to smash the status quo may not have realized that so many meetings with the Russian ambassador, while potentially well-intentioned, would appear nefarious in such a highly-charged environment. The neophytes who intended to drain the swamp were quickly swallowed up into it. The status quo has reasserted itself.

There may yet be a real fire amid all the smoke. Perhaps more important is what has been revealed by the Russia debacle, which the Trump administration has continually made worse with its missteps. The same people who have tasked themselves with the “deconstruction of the administrative state,” among other grandiose endeavors, can't seem to get a handle on who, among a small group of people who all work within the same office, met with one man, and when. A cover-up would indeed be disturbing. Nearly as disturbing is the idea that the people running the country are not competent enough to get their story straight.

(Fox↱)

Those paragraphs were funny enough, then.

Notes:

Fox, Emily Jane. "Why Can't the White House Get Its Russia Story Straight?" Vanity Fair. 3 March 2017. VanityFair.com. 2 June 2017. http://bit.ly/2rA9rf5