Samsara cycle

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by eincloud, Sep 10, 2004.

?

Samara-yes or no

1. You want to break from the cycle

12 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. You do not want to break from the cycle

9 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. ReploidKnight Registered Member

I guess I misunderstood the "cycle". The cycle I want to escape from is that of the ego. When I stop behaving to satisfy the wants of myself and those around me, I will be satisfied.
    Here's a cool guy. Take a look.
    http://www.alltm.org/Maharishi.html
    I firmly believe that our cyclical existance will end once the world understands that our fates are one fate, and that we are simply threads of the same fabric of existance. No matter how we come to that realization, it must happen on a global scale.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ReploidKnight Registered Member

by the way, I have only superficial knowledge of eastern philosophies, but it's really not necessary. Look at the world around you, consider the history of the world as you know it, and open yourself up to perceiving things that arent "possible".

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Here is something to think about. In the reality of realities, there is no cycle. We are all already there. Just some of us are sleeping and don't realize we are there. Once we wake up, we realize we are.

philosophy in a nut shell. Before people start beating up this idea--Each of us are having our own dream. No matter what it may be, Budhism, Hinduism, Christianity, Atheism, Existentialism, Work-a-holic, Lazy Bum, President of the US or whatever, once we finally wake up from this dream, we will realize we and everything else are already there. In my dream that realization will be that we are one with God, and therefore God himself.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. duendy Registered Senior Member

i believe the whole dies of samsara has come from certian men. and men who have not liked the environment they find themselfves in duee to probable wars, famine, desolation etc. and from there they also are not at ease with feelings, of desire, emotional stuff....'messiness'

so they dream up the idea of eventual escape from the 'cycle'...and they form cults which offer this promise to other disgruntled ...monks. and so the story goes

to the poster here who hates his 'selfishness' ...well that too is part of their myth. that self=bad, and/or 'illusion'. when in reaity we are continuum...sometimes we are less selfish, sometimes very selfish, depending, there is nothing wrong with being selfish as LONg as it doesn't culminate in the awful selfishness of our menahsitic systems thats eating up planet Earth

8. duendy Registered Senior Member

haha..thought you should know this. a synchronistic thing happened when i typed last post
    i access open internet though my TV and i can see in the corner of the creeen the channel....well just as i ttyped about the godawful selfihsness doing our planet in whose face do you think i saw in the corner...?
    WBush...t was part of an excertp of the Micheal Moore film Farenhiegght (forgot the rest) soon to be shown on our TV....

ahahahah

9. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

And after that realisation, the arhat shall never be fooled by Maya again, the pratyekabuddha will realise a great thing for himself (and maybe for others), and the bodhisattva will realise a great thing for others (and maybe for himself).

10. duendy Registered Senior Member

"MAya" when you see the root "MA" we know it is ancient and related to woman, 'Mother" Goddess
    as is 'Matter/ MAter.....all meaning the Feminine. and patriarchy ahas been very very busy demonizing MA, and seeking escape, cause it is pissed for gettin 'fooled' etc, but it is all in his divided mind

11. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

Avidya (no knowledge) would have been a better word, indeed, but is less known. It is the same thing. Any multiplicity or division is caused by it, and to seek 'explanation' of the 'true' substance of 'the goddess' Maya is falling for the lure already.

12. duendy Registered Senior Member

also avidya means 'ignorance'.....and your interpretation of it is the perception and feeling of multiplicity or division which you believe is the 'cause' of ignorance?

So they assume a 'oneness' don't they? so we then have a division and duality between a 'one' and a 'many'....they apparently were ignorant of that...

bit concused about yu saying explanation of Goddess is already 'falling for the lure already'. i would like you to explian more what yo mean by this. what i THINK you mean is that understanding immanence in diversity is somehow 'Maya'.....is that what you mean?

13. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

Avidya is the blessed or cursed state we're all born in, as Awake describes.

'Waking up' apparently is for the few, but once truly awake, you need not fear falling back. You may even come to temporarily regret the loss, but gone is gone. It truly is a threshold.

After that, the realisation other people cannot/will not see through their avidya. It resembles trying to wake up a drugged person that's falling asleep again as soon as you look away. Hopeless. That's why old texts write about arhats that behave as if their 'hair is on fire'.

Better to proceed, and check the old texts describing the gifts of the pratyekabuddha's. There seem to be many kinds, since there are many paths people can be born to.

Duendy, oneness is very, very hard to describe in 'logical' terms. All your senses, and you logic tells you different. Your intelligence is measured initially in your ability to tell differences, seeing big patterns is deemed 'more advanced'. So all our training, and a large deal of our practice, is in treating the world in 'details', while all the while it was one large process, and that the subdivisions were arbitrary, or even wrong.

Avidya is forgetting this, all the time. Like you had Teflon on the brain. It won't stick. Ah, details. And there you go again. Questions that cannot even wait around for an answer because already new ones are screaming for attention.

The waking up begins with what Awake describes, and once awake, the reverse becomes true. You cannot forget the oneness at any given time, anymore. More importantly, the certaintly it always adds up to one in the end gives a real sense of calm.

Avidya is not the asking questions. It's the not being able to stop asking questions, not even to think about an answer, ever. The 'waking up' analogy or 'dropping the blindfold' are slightly misleading metaphors.

A more correct one would be that you realise in amazement you already know what you were about to ask next, and that the act of asking would purely be a strange kind of reflex. And then again, next time. Worse, others seem to be doing it, too.

That's a start. You just discovered a tap on a spouting fountain of questions that threatened to drown out all important stuff *uniting* all the differences.

14. duendy Registered Senior Member

Mercurio, have you got the 'oneness' you seem to know so much about?

15. Awake Just BE! Registered Senior Member

Duendy,
    I can't speak for Mercurio, but I believe we ALL have the oneness, just not the self-realization of that oneness. I think people can intellectually know something and not have the actual experience of realization. It is as if an epiphany happens. You may work toward a goal but then all of a sudden you understand and realize the solution or answer. Analogy-a mathematical problem, you are working and working to find the solution and then all of a sudden you figure out the right way to work the problem and get the solution. What seemed unsolvable becomes brief work to the solution.

16. LightOfErindir Registered Member

I'm sorry for diverting ...but in Hindu philosophy...God in the most abstract form is Vrutti....i.e. a tendency towards something...just a disturbance...which leads to the formation of the world.
    So the world goes on ...irrespective of whether u want to break away from it or not. By the end of the universe ... never will all the humans be FREE.

Even if u reach a completely balanced state (unification with Brahma) it will still not remain that way... beacause every system has a tendency to go towards more and more disorder...and somtimes the too much of randomness leads to order that is what u call pralay.

Existence of enlightened beings in the universe does not change the way whole system follows...it just changes the time span...That is what gives rise to the varying time of the Yugas...More enlightened beings...more time to disorder...less enlightened beings...less time to disorder...But there IS in the end a disorder ....which leads to order!!....So in the end it's all just about random disturbances.

freaky eh?!!

17. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

What Awake describes is pretty much correct, I think.

To answer your question without being evasive: yes.

To be more precise, and human: I'm aware of the fact most of the time, and whenever I seem to forget I get 'shocked' back into it pretty quick. Everyone has their human traits of impatience and temper. At least, I do.

With almost everyone else it's the other way around, and their moments of a sense of oneness is brief, and leaves a lasting impression on them which they sadly cannot seem to recreate.

What I described can be found in other places, too, but I happen to speak from experience. Not an experience I'd wish upon anyone else, but it seemed to have had a nice bonus effect, sort of. 'Formative disaster' would fit the bill nicely. Don't really want to get into all sorts of details here tho.

But to put it into perspective: it's like you can suddenly turn off the noise in your head that was there as long as you can remember, but which only gets really conspicuous when it's suddenly absent.

It all probably has a very good neurological explanation, like balancing out your limbic and neocortical system better than before, after a really drastic change of course in your lifestyle. Most people never get to that point because they change things back real quick when the going gets rough.

Once science has had a good look, nothing's really special anymore, right?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. mercurio 9th dan seppuku sensei Registered Senior Member

[1] normal, expected codes of conduct or ordinance ('sAstrA', 'vrutti')

eye think u mixed up a few t'ings, bro.

[2] now that is something one can ultimately only decide for oneself, according to the Buddha at least, by freeing oneself from desire. I'll stick with him, if you don't mind.