Sarajevo [18 November 2015]

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Sarajevo [Retracted]

Let us, please, start with a photo:

[Removed]

The man in the picture is named Enes Omeragić; eleven days ago his Twitter account↱ went silent.

His name matches that of a man who just murdered two Bosnian soldiers and then took his own life as police closed in.

Reuters↱ and other news agencies identify Mr. Omeragić as a recent Salafist.

The basic transliteration of the sign he holds, according to Google Translate, is, "because it is labeled ravish and walk freely Prijedor". This variation of ravish can be translated as violate or rape as well. "Because it is called rape and walks freely in Prijedor", seems a reasonable rendering in English.

Mr. Omeragić's Twitter feed went silent on 7 November; this picture was posted to Twitter↱ on 31 May, and was preceded at Instagram↱ five days earlier. The Twitter post is tagged "#DanBijelihTraka", which translates to "Day of white tape" or "Day of white strap", which would explain the armband; 31 May is "White Ribbons Day", a commemoration of wartime atrocities and a demonstration against genocide denial.

It would seem that, sometime around 2012―

Previously, the mayor of the town of Prijedor, Marko Pavic, had banned the gathering of the families of the victims, who wanted to commemorate the deaths of Bosniaks and Croats killed in the town during the war, saying that such event would “undermine the town's reputation”.

Pavic objected to Bosniak organisations describing the killings as genocide. In his statement he said that he cannot endorse such terminology and that the genocide in Prijedor has not been proven, accusing the organisations of politicising the commemoration.

(Dzidic and Ristic↱)

―the mayor of Prijedor really, really screwed up.

In the days to come, we will learn more about why someone decided to walk into a betting shop, gun down two soldiers, potshoot a bus because there was another soldier on it, and injure at least two other people in the process. Presently, according to Reuters, Mr. Omeragić's motive is unknown.

It is tempting to speculate, as Bosnian Muslims took a beating during the war. Still, though, we can only wait while Bosnian officials try to figure it out.

Then again, if I've the wrong Enes Omeragić, well, that would just be embarrassing.

Hold fast, Sarajevo. This red will wash away, but the memories will endure even longer than the roses. Be well. Get through this.

Notes:

Dzidic, Denis and Marija Ristic. "White Ribbons Against Genocide Denial". Balkan Transitional Justice. 31 May 2012. BalkanInsight.com. 18 November 2015. http://bit.ly/1l79mZg

Sito-Sucic, Daria and Maja Zuvela. "Sarajevo gunman commits suicide after killing two soldiers". 18 November 2015. Reuters.com. 18 November 2015. http://reut.rs/1lvXcd6

Retraction note: Social media links removed.​

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

You are blaming the attack on the failure of the mayor of Sarajevo to observe this White Ribbon day?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You are incapable of reading? Or comprehending?

In the days to come, we will learn more about why someone decided to walk into a betting shop, gun down two soldiers, potshoot a bus because there was another soldier on it, and injure at least two other people in the process. Presently, according to Reuters, Mr. Omeragić's motive is unknown.

It is tempting to speculate, as Bosnian Muslims took a beating during the war. Still, though, we can only wait while Bosnian officials try to figure it out.​

And, yes, the question of what happened in Prijedor might well have something to do with it.

In the end Mayor Pavic's stupidity might have nothing to do with it. Just like, in the end, I might well have the wrong Enes Omeragić.

But it is also clear that the Enes Omeragić I am considering, as of 31 May 2015, was still making statements about Prijedor. It wouldn't be enough to get a warrant, by American standards, before someone commits a murder like this. But if that is the right Enes Omeragić, the Prijedor denial would seem to beg attention, especially in consideration of a recent Salafi convert.

I don't think we've quite reached the point where the simplicity of your inquiry is secure. We're talking about a period of years between potential offense and response; if this is the right Enes Omeragić, then we cannot ignore the Prijedor denial, but the question of whether we can blame the attack on that one episode seems pretty much counterintuitive unto itself. For the radicalized European Muslim, there is plenty to complain about over the last three and a half years at least. We can't pin everything on the Prijedor denial, but neither can we presently ignore or dismiss it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

What else do you know about Enes Omeragić, his family, and how the war affected them?

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Retraction

Exactly nothing.

Indeed, not enough to identify the correct Enes Omeragić.

Like I said, if I've the wrong Enes Omeragić, well, that would just be embarrassing.

And so it would appear that is exactly what I have accomplished.

At least, according to the photographs now emerging.

Thus, the topic post must be entirely retracted, which this notice now serves.

My sincere apologies to the Enes Omeragić that I have wrongly identified.

This is what speculation gets me.