Saving Theists a Ton of Grief

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by superluminal, May 27, 2006.

1. superluminal I am MalcomR Valued Senior Member

No, no! It is I who *kowtow*!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

(sigh) - okay then refresh my memory - What is your perspective of religion and how has it developed to take its current form of existence in society?

Can we use this definition of religion .......
    1 the belief in the existence of a god or gods, and the activities that are connected with the worship of them:
    or even this definition ......
    [C] one of the systems of faith that are based on the belief in the existence of a particular god or gods:
    as opposed to this one?
    [sing.] a particular interest or influence that is very important in your life:

Actually what we have to address before we get to evidence is the nature of reality - otherwise there is no point bringing up evidence - for instance if I am a rocket scientist and produce a document of my findings (which is evidence according to the ontology of rocket scientists), full of equations and squiggles, to a layman, he will not accept that as evidence because he has a different notion of reality- and that is why I am trying to get you to examine the general principles you apply to determine that something is real before jumping into fields of evidence -
    For instance compare your above statement about denying that religion was made up and compare it to the one posted below

Now this perspective on why people would believe in powerful enitites (perhaps now you can understand why i stand to be forgiven for thinking you were talking about religion) - How was this perspective developed? What general principles did you apply to establish it as a plausible reality? Obviously you seem to give more creedence to that perspective? Why? What general principles did you apply to determine that that perspective is more qualified than any other perspective offered?

Yes - trying to work out exactly what you are saying about religion (oops I just forgot - its about how early people came to believe in powerful entities) is quite difficult.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

IMO, the taoist writings I generally see quoted work with this comprehension of the subject of tao. For instance, the stuff DD quoted above seems to fit perfectly, but with a mystic's slant. Would you agree?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

(double sigh) - okay then: you can believe in whatever you want to, but if you want to try and promote it as being real, you need to provide some evidence.

Uh.. a collection of people with the same beliefs came together either by choice or force and started singing songs while a man in a collar gives a blow job to a 10 year old.

You can do whatever you want. It's most likely you're going to provide my answers and conclusions for me anyway.

Reality = that which exists.

Don't start with some philosophical crap about living in the matrix or "how do you know that tree is really there?".

In saying that, if you want to promote something as being real, (existing), then provide some evidence.

You religious people always say that. Evidence? Pfft.. who cares.

It's nothing to do with a "different notion of reality", but that he doesn't understand what the squiggles mean. Give him some education and he will.

But the evidence determines whether something is real, (exists), or not and so you can't really avoid it, (well, the religious can and must).

No, you're not forgiven - on the basis that I hadn't even mentioned these people or why they'd believe in powerful entities before you started with your abstraction crap. All I said was that you need to provide evidence if you want to promote something as being real, (existing).

Evidence. But why explain when you've already discarded evidence as being of any value?

because of the evidence. While sure, the sun might actually be a living, omnipotent being - that's not what the evidence shows.

Quality of evidence.

*Imitating light minimal* "Well, everyone else seemed to understand it. Read it again and then respond.

8. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Snake man - seems like its a common phenomena with a class of fanatic (whether they are religious or atheistic) - the moment you start to examine the issue of atheism/religion in terms of perceiving reality they get all aggressive and slide into insult and bad language

- I mean come on -

"Uh.. a collection of people with the same beliefs came together either by choice or force and started singing songs while a man in a collar gives a blow job to a 10 year old."

If that's your definition of religion I guess I must have mistaken you for an intelligent person (or you are posting while drunk - which amounts to the same conclusion)

9. SnakeLord snakeystew.com Valued Senior Member

I didn't insult you, wasn't specifically aggressive and kept my bad language to a minimum. What bothers me is that ten times now I have had to point out what I originally said that made you waffle on about something unrelated to what I said - while having to listen to you telling me what I do or do not think, and while having to put up with all the snide comments that imo are worse than the occasional swear word. Of course I refer to the; "(sigh)...", "oops.." etc.

Giving an amusing definition of religion has no bearing on intelligence. Of course people all have a different sense of humour, and some don't have any at all.

Anyway, you've already provided a suitable definition of religion, and I said you're free to use that definition. It is of no consequence to me, because, (for the last time hopefully), I wasn't talking about religions, whether they're "real" or not, or coca cola abstractions.