SciContest! Why can't matter be made of photons?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by BenTheMan, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vern Registered Senior Member

Methinks you've been eating too many green apples

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mike Honcho Shut up and calculate Registered Senior Member

Accelerated by what? Gravity?
    And its not pulling light in, but pushing it out. To infinity.
    Never mind.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Vkothii Banned Banned

WTF?
    What does "pushing or pulling" have to do with a black hole?

Energy doesn't create mass, it's the other way, Einsteins relation doesn't mean you can go back and forth from mass to energy;
    virtual pairs at the event horizon of black holes can radiate mass back into our universe, but like I said, any photon with a worldline that takes it inside that horizon, effectively goes to the visible edge of our universe. Because it does not interact gravitationally. but according to curvature of spacetime.

BHs curve the stuff infinitely, so massless particles accelerate to infinity, beyond any future light-cone we are in. So do massive particles, when they get to the singularity.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Reiku Banned Banned

Yes. Photons curve the spacetime fabric (around them).

8. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Only in a particular way. Depending on their directions of motion relative to one another sometimes photons won't interact.

9. Reiku Banned Banned

Really? You mean, now and again, photons have no mechanism of causing curvature in the fabric they move through?

10. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Photons can't accelerate and matter can.

11. Vkothii Banned Banned

So what happens when matter, say a bunch of electrons, accelerates past c, into a BH?

12. Vern Registered Senior Member

True; that's why when mass, if it is comprised of photons trapped in resonant patterns, must distort when it moves and so exhibit relativity phenomena. H Ziegler explained this to Einstein in 1906.

13. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Oh, I haven't the slightest idea.

I am hoping for the layperson consolation prize.

(moderator, please note: my answer is concise. A quality often given some weight in competitions.)

14. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

I felt this was the most important part of your response. The rest was over my head but no doubt interesting.

15. Vern Registered Senior Member

Maybe we should just say that a ball of photons moving in circles would need to squeeze together some to move because all the photons are already moving at the speed of light and can't move any faster, as you observed.

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

Before any electrons get to the speed of light, they emit radiation - 'energy', as high energy photons (with a large or extreme frequency).

Electrons 'emit' (low-energy) all the time, actually, in wires and other semiconducting crystals; electrons create perturbations in spacetime when they move through it -it's called: propagation (of EM radiation).

17. Simon Anders Valued Senior Member

Hey, that I could follow. Thanks.

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

Who is willing to have a go at undoing this a bit and seeing if it goes back together? What mechanism might he be talking about? "In a way that" some field binds particles isn't all that illuminating.
    BTW I didn't find the word "photon" on this webpage.

19. Vkothii Banned Banned

A mathematical observation:
    on p3 of this thread, the 3rd "point" was included in the published "book list", and then on the 2^3 page, it got rehashed, there seems to be a recurrence. Or am I imagining one?

This is the (2^3 + 2^2 + 1)th or the (2^3 + 2^2 + 2^1 + -1)th page...?

then the matrix would go: {0,1,0, -1}{1,0,0,0}{1,1,0,1}
    (or {0,0,1,1} for the first, and/or {1,1,1,-1} , for the last row), Iff we get another rehash; maybe not...?
    in what mathematical sense, anyway, and why am I bored enough to care?

20. Vern Registered Senior Member

Albrecht Gieses seems to be advocating a photon theory of the universe without straying too far away from QM theory. He is presenting in some high places, but I could never convince him that his two basic building block particles were actually photons. Phd's don't listen too good to lowly engineers.

21. Vkothii Banned Banned

He mentions "light particles, e.g. photons and neutrinos"; what does that imply?
    Where does deBroglie's idea of photons being composite leptons (electrons, neutrinos) get to? How equivalent, and what does that mean?
    He doesn't actually describe these other than as SM particles like the above.

Isn't there an immediate problem there, with then giving, or assigning every boson a gravitational charge?

He does appear to be trying to tie the fundamental angular momentum of particles to mass, and the geometry of the spin (via \( \pi \)).
    Spin is a wavefunction that every particle conserves, by "keeping" it, it doesn't gain or lose any.

But electrons can interact with a strong magnetic field across a 2-d surface, the quantum Hall effect, and you get fractional magnetic potential states, like 1/3, 1/2, 1/5, 1/7 - like harmonics, but explained by isospin (of electrons in a magnetic field); you get phases of magnetic quanta, like liquids, gases, and solids - the magnetic part of EM is seen compartmenting itself when electrons are forced to move coherently spin-wise, over a spectrum of 1/2 the EM field, the magnetic "component".

22. Vern Registered Senior Member

He's not here to defend his views and I'm not qualified to do so. In any event we're straying off the topic. Giese was just a reference to show that debunking, in general, all photon-only universe ideas is not a simple undertaking.

23. Kadark Banned Banned

Why can't matter be made of photons?

Does it really matter?

/cough /cough

Kadark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.