Science and technology in history

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by kgargar, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgargar Registered Senior Member

Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum. Could anyone update me on what's going on in here at least for the last three weeks or so?

Let me post the following theses regarding science and technology in history. Hope this will prompt comments and opinion from members in this forum.

---------
    1. Science is a product of collective social practice.

2. Science and technology landed in the hands of a few.

3. Bringing back science and technology to the majority is a struggle that is long and inevitable.

Thesis 2 is the reality. It's the truth since the emergence of slave societies right after hunting and gathering societies faded. It is still true (obviously) up to now.

On the other hand, thesis 1 is an absolute truth whenever societies of men exists. Any form of knowledge or science is actually an accumulation of bits of information obtained by each member of the society through its constant interaction with nature. It is not true that science is developed only by a select population of so-called scientists. In older civilizations, they are known as (in our present tongue) advisers or wizards.

Thesis 1 lays down the backdrop of why the majority must rise and struggle to bring back to their own hands the control of science. Since science results from their practice (each of them contributes to the development of science), the majority have the "moral ascendancy" to get hold of science. Everyone must benefit from the comfort brought about by science--thus the inevitability in Thesis 3.

The other aspect of Thesis 3--that the struggle is long (although one may ask how long is a long struggle?)--is construed as the essence of development of society. The entire history of world society (which may be self-similar in some respect) is actually a history of this continuing struggle. Every segment of history has this nature.

The three theses above regarding science in history completely describe in broad strokes the existence of society.
    ---------

Now, anyone may speculate what's next after society is fully developed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.