Science fair help

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by Experiment, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Experiment Registered Member

Hello I'am a high school student doing a science fair project on the chemicals and heavy metals found in both natural water sources(lakes,rivers,streams) and bottled. I'am looking to see if any one has information like a list of chemicals and heavy metals found in both sources.I also posted this in the earth science section but I think it applys to this section too. any reply is greatly appreciated.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. arfa brane call me arf Valued Senior Member

I'm no limnologist, but I would guess that the mineral content of water from various sources is fairly variable. I would hazard that forensics would find this is useful information, if different lakes, rivers, etc have a mineral "fingerprint", much like soil from different regions does.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I'd think that there are many types of minerals in water everywhere you travel. You would need to analyze the water to see the mineral content wherever you are to determine what is within the water that you test. I also think that there are many types of minerals and heavy metals in almost any water around the world today due to the pollution that humans are spewing out.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. sculptor Valued Senior Member

The DNR does regular sampling of water sources. Start with your local office, and move up from there.

8. timojin Valued Senior Member

I don't know in what city you live , but an other start would be tou sanitary district and your city water processor . Normally Iron will be found any place . Mercury if there are coal power plants v Cadmium and Zinc will be dumped into rivers from galvanizing , Nickel and Chrome were process Stainless steel. ete. ete.