Scientists Deem Creation to Be the Most Rational Explanation of Universe

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Woody, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

I can't wait for Snakelord to see this thread.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Nonsense. Since there is no definition of God, the choices he poses- either it exists, or doesn't exist, is a false statement. Besides, he was educated at a Christian school, hardly an objective institution.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Yup, this outta be fun. We'll see some common sense.

8. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Christian Apologetics - one of the world's biggest and most powerful propaganda machines.

9. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

This is silly.

That article's approach to the problem of "creation" can be applied to anything that is currently beyond human comprehension. "Hey, how did that happen?". "I don't know." "Obviously then, it was god.".

That's a piss poor argument.

10. Woody Musical Creationist Registered Senior Member

Nothing wrong with propaganda as long as it is true!

11. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

But there is nothing to show that it is besides individual's faith. So it is not the "good kind" of propoganda.

12. Internationalist Banned Banned

Let's say that there is a intelligent designer he doesn't have to Christian...ever think about Logos?

13. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

But what if she is right?! What if the universe indeed was created by a giant outeruniversal monkey rubbing its' arse?!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Why not just say "I don't know" when you don't freaking know?

15. water the sea Registered Senior Member

"I don't know" has never been a good answer.

16. Internationalist Banned Banned

I agree with you, I am a evolutionist but I am saying to the xtian fundamentalists, who is to say that this being is your god? Especially since the creatation story is not universalistic considering the Buddhist idea of creation which is non-existent.

17. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

water: Why not? Because it shows that you don't know something?
    I like people who give such an answer, because it shows that they are honest and value truth whatever it might be.
    People who don't know and invent in order to appear to know.. well.. they are weak people not able to handle themselves and the reality.

18. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

Of course, and those who are inclined to judge that which they feel strongly about, will do so regardless of whether or not they know. That one thinks they know is far more relevant to their behavior than one really knowing anything. Since each has their own bias and threshold of proof, beliefs are pretty eronious and will be rooted in a personal solution to circumstance.

Example: Fred grows up in a christian family. What is the path of least resistance for Fred regarding spiritual beliefs? Even if he doesn't follow that path, his circumstance is riddled with christianity. He can't escape his circumstance. As such, its role in his life is significant. It will either be part of it or struggle to overcome it.

More times than not, he'll just roll with it because it's easier and he learns to incorporate it into his perspective.

Regardless, the argument in the quoted article is a crock. It merely seeks to justify a presumption that can only be justified if presumed.

19. water the sea Registered Senior Member

But all human knowledge is like this, you know.

20. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

I disagree.

The core of any belief system is like that. Remember what I mentioned once before? "One can only utilize the essence of baye's theorum: What's the probability of this, if that is true?". A system of logical conclusions regarding knowledge are founded on a system of knowledge gained by faith (presumption). Such is the boundary of logic, it requires something upon which to build. Would you propose that an "intelligent designer" is an irrefutable assumption? That "I am", is an irrefutable assumption because if you are not, the statement itself is moot. If "you aren't" then there is no you to know there is no you and thus the connudrum is resolved painlessly. There is no down side to such a presumption. Assuming however "god is", is not so neatly resolved. That "god is" cannot be shown. That "I am", is demonstrated in the act of the assertion. That "god is"... can only be justified with emotion. Logically, that's quite perilous IMO - depending of course on your intended outcome. If understanding nature is your intended outcome, the presumption of god is as bad as you can do I'd think. If feeling that you understand nature is the intended outcome, then the presumption of god is a pretty decent bet.

The more serious repurcussions of the presumption, the more perilous the assertion.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  21. water the sea Registered Senior Member

It's not about emotion: it's about ethics. An ethical evaluation of our position in the universe.

22. ellion Magician & Exorcist (93) Registered Senior Member

what was this thread about again? oh yes!

who created god?

23. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

What's the difference? How do you get to ethics? Isn't that fundamentally emotional? Is ethics subject to logic or reason?

I have no problem with an ethical evaluation, but when deistic conventions of that evalution are asserted to be actual - there are problems.

The main problem I see is that ethics are anthropomorphic, whereas the universe isn't until we make it that way. In terms of systems, we are a within IT, yet due to our perspective are prone to make IT a product of us. Universal anthropomorphism is the pinnacle of arrogance.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005