Scientists discover that atheists might not exist, and that’s not a joke

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jan Ardena, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

I could ask you the same thing.

If you are critical of elevation that merely requires a colloquy of magical words with dubious connection to the world, it doesn't serve your interests to launch into a colloquy of magical words with dubious connection to the world.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I replied before you made your edit.
    And what please tell me is the tendency you would have for me ...
    What fanciful tendency do I indulge? Not believing in a character made up thousands of years ago? Is that my fanciful indulgence?
    If not please explain to me what you consider to be my fanciful indulgence...And I am sincerely interested in how you see things and most curious as to why you have said such a thing.
    Alex

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Er, no, what?
    The sentence is an accurate claim - are you objecting to the shaman being labeled atheist?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Or you could give an honest and well considered reply.
    I reject smugness on my part but suggest your reference to the little pony shows where you are coming from and your inability to comment on content.
    And I know you could say the same but why not offer an original comment?
    My words are magical by your definition? Thank you that is a higher regard than I have for them.
    So tell me what exactly have I said that you find unuseful. Although my magical words are simple have I not laid out reasonable observation.
    Is there something that I have written that is unreasonable.
    Apart from offerring a critique of my style what meat of my approach do you find too tuff for you to chew?
    Alex

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I find it difficult to relate the two perhaps I am too quick to judge methods than to consider the general proposition you present.
    Alex

9. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

UNIVERSE.

10. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Your ideas are indulgent fantasies because you think a society scrubbed clean of religiosity automatically defaults to utopia.

Magic is definitely afoot.

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I said no such thing nor do I believe such and I suggest that you have failed at guessing my thoughts.

My statements are avaiable for individual comment so one by one point out which "idea" specifically suggests fantacy.
    And what is this preoccupation of yours with magic...you seem to be stuck in some sort of loop...
    Nevertheless the best magic you could employ is to be specific and try and convey the meaning of your words such that generalisation is eliminated...if you find something I have said incorrect please identify it so I can review in the context of your targeted input.
    Utopia will not appear with the populace realising religion is a con or that god is a myth however we should see a decency evolve where the morality established thousands of years ago is let go and replaced with something appropriate to our exceptionally higher level of knowledge and understanding.
    Think how the role of and treatement of women could improve if the ancient concept of them being mere possessions had no place to hide.
    I mean things could only get better which is not saying or suggesting utopia has openned its doors to humanity and again such thinking is your injection presumably part of a knee jerk reaction to somehow plead the teachings of two thousand years ago somehow have some relevance in our modern era...they dont.
    Morality does not need a footing in the past and indeed a careful read of the bible will show just how irrelevent it is in todays world...Unless of course you still own slaves or concerned if your bride to be is a virgin and you seek authority to stone her.
    Alex

12. RainbowSingularity Valued Senior Member

?

please explain further this "critical" point.

set in stone "more"
    opposed to
    set in stone "less"

is there not an option to have something "not" be set in stone ?

please elaborate the psychology of this as you have come to understand it ?

if you can't thats ok.

13. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Atheistic spiritual authority? A shaman seeking knowledge through divination of animal parts is a prime example of theistic behavior, and hardly comparable to a mathematical analysis of strategic behavior by a modern ecologist. Now if the ecologist was also a practicing numerologist you might have a point.

Xelasnave.1947 likes this.
  14. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Just like the 10 Commandments?

15. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

The quote came from the article, for which I have provided a link.
    I understand it in the context that it is written, but I think 'theism' is natural to humans,
    whereas 'atheism' is an ideal, ever seeking to improve itself.

jan.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

And that's why you misrepresented the findings of scientific research on a science forum - it was an attempt to present them as supporting your Abrahamic monotheistic beliefs, and disparage those who do not share them.
    Yep.
    The oldest and most sophisticated form of spiritual authority - producing, for example, the Tao Te Ching and the I Ching and the life's work of this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozi, a thousand years old when the finest minds of Abrahamic theology were burning people alive in the public square for witchcraft.
    Except no deity is involved, either in the early days or in the body of metaphysical reasoning and apperception that emerged from it millenia later. So it's kind of odd to describe it as "theistic", don't you think?
    The hunting and foraging strategies established are essentially identical, and counterintuitive for most people. Do you think that is a coincidence?

I think it's too bad the ecological folks (by the nature of their means) lack the respect and influence granted the shamans; that spiritual authority is unavailable via their approach, but instead must be cadged and badgered from others in their culture - in this case, unfortunately, authoritative representatives of a comparatively simplistic and immature "theistic" spirituality.

But the Wendell Berry crowd provides hope, there. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wendell_Berry

17. Capracus Valued Senior Member

Nope, Mohists weren’t atheists.

Within the core chapters, the Mohists consistently portray Heaven as if it possesses personal characteristics and exists separately from human beings, though intervening in their affairs. In particular, they present Heaven if it is an entity having will and desire, and concerned about the welfare of the people of the world, even a providential agent that rewards the just and punishes the wicked through its control of natural phenomena or by means of its superhuman intermediaries, the spirits (guishen). Finally, Heaven and the spirits are also portrayed as the objects of reverence, sacrificial offerings and supplication ("Heaven's Will" B).

http://www.iep.utm.edu/mozi/#H12

How do you think the concept of divination was perceived by these atheist shaman? Perceived access to information from spiritual entities is not a theistic concept?
    The success of hunting and foraging strategies developed by primitive cultures was accomplished in spite of their associations with divine insight, not because of it. Through procedural evolution those erroneous information strategies were eventually put into proper perspective and disregarded.

18. Xelor Registered Senior Member

I've long been of the mind that theism and atheism are merely different kinds of religion, not that one is religion and one is not-religion.

19. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I like this Wendell Berry's worldview.... sounds benign
    IMO, atheism, aside from the non-belief in a biblical God, has no formal structure or ritual and can therefore not be classified as a religion. It is a personal philosophy, which bestows a greater personal burden of responsible and ethical behavior on the individual.

20. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

Braytheism perhaps?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Atheism is not a religion it is not even a belief really.

A religion requires a god ...end of story.

Being an atheist is hardly even a qualification ... One doess not think about it really at least not until you hear folk rambling about some made up nonsence about their invisable friend they cant show you.

It is only then that you think "what a load of crap are these people for real, surely they dont seriously think there is a god"

If your child has an invisable friend its a worry but when an adult refers to this invisable friend its all good.
    Sad that they have been brainwashed and cant think for themselves.
    Alex

22. Musika Last in Space Valued Senior Member

You just did a remarkable job of countering most of your first sentence.

I would ask you why the array of beliefs you employ to support your atheist worldview are not beliefs .... but I'm pretty sure you will take that as a further invitation to run down more of your beliefs.

A good definition of someone who is brainwashed is someone who can't come within 500m of philosophy when discussing their world view. I wouldn't be such a fool to suggest there are no brainwashed individuals who don't identify as theists, .... but I think it's safe to say, on the value of your input, that such brainwashed personalities don't have a monopoly on the term.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  23. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

And not collecting stamps is a hobby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.