Scientists Find More Abiotic Oil

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by OilIsMastery, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

That was never the claim. The claim is that the oil is seeping from volcanic bedrock, not a sedimentary source rock.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

The crust has more free oxygen and is more oxidizing than the mantle, so if oxidation is an issue for methane formation in the mantle, then it is doubly so for the crust.

If methane cannot form in the presence of oxygen, how does Mr. Glasby propose the methane on Earth got here? And if the mantle is so oxidizing, how is it possible for diamonds to form there?

Link

"I don't think anybody's arguing that gas couldn't be generated from the mantle." -- Barry J. Katz, 2002

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

He is Iceagecivilizations ? So he IS a creationist...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

No I am not Iceagecivilizations. This red herring is an issue because iceaura cannot debate science and is a self-proclaimed "sock puppet" expert.

8. EndLightEnd This too shall pass. Registered Senior Member

well if scientists say oil comes from dead animals, it has to be true right? Its science! /sarcasm

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. iceaura Valued Senior Member

That's my opinion, based on no evidence except the timing of his appearance, certain background and stance similarities, and the distinctive rhetorical style, as visible here. I have no special information, I just don't think there are two of these guys sequentially appearing on this one forum.

IIRC, IAC was banned ? (somebody was, seems like it was him) for doing with a source something like what OIM just did with his Glasby source on the "not dead dinos" thread, and has done with others elsewhere. Once in a while a moderator gets fed up with what is essentially dishonesty, and deliberate, of a kind unsuited to a science forum.

And I kind of miss blobrana.

There is sedimentary rock, of the kinds which are often sources of oil , all over the place in the neighborhood of the oil seeps. Agreed ?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  11. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

You can say that again.

So do I. One of the few people who ever posted anything scientific in the earth sciences forum. I asked Blobrana to come back but she said she wasn't interested in debate.

No. However there is a volcanic igneous rock and the mantle under every sedimentary rock in the world.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

For starters, did you bother reading the article you linked to? If you had done so, you would have realized that it deals with analyzing the Martian crust and mantle, not the earths crust and mantle.

Secondly. The oxidation number of Carbon in Methane is -IV, it is Carbons most strongly reduced state. The oxidation number of carbon in diamond or graphite is 0, therefore, Diamond and graphite are more strongly oxidized then methane. Also, the question ignores the kinetics of the oxidation reaction WRT Diamonds or graphite.

Oh, and it's Dr Glasby, you could at least show the man some respect even if you disagree with his views.

13. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Logical fallacy - appeal to emotion.

14. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

FYI there is more free oxygen in the crust of the earth than there is on Mars...

15. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

And of course you have a source to back up this assertion correct (With regards to free oxygen in the crust)?

Because last time I checked, the term 'free oxygen' refered to Oxygen in its molecular forms, not bound to any other element.

http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/F/freeoxy.html

Free Oxygen is present dissolved in water, however, because of the presence of minerals such as Sulfides (for example), Oxygen dissolved in crustal fluids is believed to be consumed fairly rapidly in chemical reactions, as suggested by this article from Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.

16. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Ever heard of O2?

How old are you?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Ad hominem fallacy.
    Straw man fallacy.
    Falsehood.

Obviously i've heard of O2 because I mentioned the molecular forms of Oxygen in my previous point.

You still have yet to provide a source that substantiates your claim that free, elemental oxygen exists in the earths crust.

Also, I just noticed that I neglected to link to the indicated article:
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=6a91b031daacace738f0d2afefe72b9e

18. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So according to you and Glasby, O2 only exists in the mantle, is that right? How are we supposed to breathe?

It's amazing the lenghts of insanity you psychopathic cultists will go to in order to twist and warp reality to fit your 19th century religion.

FYI, oxygen is the most abundant element in the earths crust and comprises 46.6% of the earth's crust by mass.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Turning the question back on me is not answering the question.

And no, you're wrong, according to me, free elemental oxygen exists in neither the crust, nor the mantle, and the potential to oxidize is not dependent upon there being free Oxygen present in significant quantities - i've already discussed dissolved oxygen in water and crustal fluids.

Reduction/Oxidation reactions occur without the exchange of Oxygen, modern Redox chemistry deals with the exchange of electrons.

And we would not breathe, but for photosynthesis, the early atmosphere of the earth was largely Oxygen free.

(Thus demonstrating that your argument is based on a falsehood).

20. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What's the question?

LOL. Ok, well at least now I know exactly how insane you are because Glasby's entire argument rests upon the claim that the mantle is too oxidizing. Oxygen is the most common element in the earth's crust and O2 permits us to breathe.

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Adhominem attack, which I will not respond to beyond this.

Strawman - i'm not disputing the abundance of Oxygen in the crust, i'm stating that it's not present as elemental oxygen, it's tied up in forms such as water, carbonates, silicates (the most common) and oxides.

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Then you have some source that disputes what I'm saying?
    Some source that discusses the presence of free elemental oxygen in the crust of the earth?

Or do you think that because 'Oxygen' is present, it must be in it's gas form.

Here's a hint SiO4 - which is silicates, contain oxygen, but it's not in its elemental form, and it's quite stable.

The same goes for Sulfates, Carbonates, water, Carbon dioxide, metal oxides, arsenates, and the list goes on and on.

They all contain oxygen, which is why it's so common.

Stating that "Oxygen is the most common element in the earths crust" is not the same as stating "Free elemental oxygen is most common constituent of the earths crust".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.