Scientists Find More Abiotic Oil

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by OilIsMastery, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who wants to invest with me? I'm starting a caramel mine.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Vkothii Banned Banned

Not the amounts a certain babbling moron thinks there are, at least.

Your oily rag needs adjusting. I have other trolls to feed, too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Insanity Recap:

Evidence of Multiple Personalities:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/crust

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crust
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atmosphere

http://dictionary.die.net/atmosphere
    So only by some definitions does 'crust' include 'atmosphere'.

I think it's plain for all to see that you're simply being dishonest again.

8. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Fallacy.

This post represents nothign more then an ad-hominem attack.

More to the point, it does not prove what the poster wishes to imply.

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

So which is it? Is the atmosphere a part of the crust on Monday but not on Tuesday?

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Oh.

You caught me.

I made a typo.

I was in such a hurry I skipped a word.

Dang.

(In case you can't figure it out, the missing word is 'not' and belongs in the second sentence).

Technically, your post is a fallacy, it's an ad-hominem attack, and you're (technically) misrepresenting it.

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

OilisMastery:

Quite clearly, Trippy has explained to you that the earth's crust is the solid material that we walk around on, while the atmosphere is the air above the crust. From your earlier posts, it appears you initially had trouble grasping that simple fact.

Now that you have been corrected, I strongly suggest that you stop misrepresenting Trippy's statements.

Trippy has stated that oxygen does not exist in its free molecular form (O2) in the crust. For the record, please state whether you agree with this statement or not.

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked...ere/30203/The-atmosphere-as-part-of-the-crust

I'm still not sure what he believes. How is quoting him misrepresenting him?

I know...LOL. It's hilarious.

He also said:
    :roflmao:

I do not and I don't know anyone besides the insane cultists in this thread that believe that. Oxygen is the most abundant element in the earth's crust. If there were no O2 in the crust it would be impossible to breathe.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  13. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

It is quite clear to everyone that Trippy's use of the word 'crust' refers to the solid material we walk on (as James says), not including the atmosphere.

You have had that explained to you. Yes, fair enough, there were some crossed wires but they have been clarified.

There is insufficient O2 in the ground (which 'crust' refers to in Trippy's posts) to support life. Oxygen is one of, if not the, most abundant elements in the ground but none of it is available for life to use as you and I use free oxygen in the air. You and I cannot breath carbonate compounds, despite them forming trillions of tons of the ground. Can you breath chalk?

And I ask you again, do you know what 'oxidation' means to a chemist? It doesn't mean just "Something bonds with oxygen". Oxygen removes electrons from things, because it needs 2 more electrons to form a stable electron configuration. That is 'oxidation'. So anything which is electron deficient will act as an oxidizer. Chlorine, oxygen, fluorine, nitrogen (when it can be made to react). They are all oxidising agents. Infact, Fluorine is pretty much the most powerful oxidizing agent there is because it's staggeringly reactive. Oxygen can exist as free O2 in our atmosphere. Fluorine cannot because it instantly oxidizes with other things when it's produced.

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

OilisMastery:

Ah! So you have had a basic misunderstanding with Trippy. You have been thinking of the "crust" as including the ocean and atmosphere as well as the ground on which we walk, whereas Trippy has been referring to the crust as excluding the oceans and atmosphere.

I'm glad I've helped you to overcome your misconception.

Let us take it that you wish to use the term "crust" to include the atmosphere from now on, then. That way, we'll avoid further confusing you.

So, proceed, gentlemen.

15. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

LOL. It just keeps getting better.

And you're saying none of those things exist in the crust?

No kidding. Tell that to Trippy...

16. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Because you're quoting me out of context.

I (as does every other chemist) draw the distinction between Oxygen, and elemental free oxygen.

Your argument is a strawman fallacy, and a falsehood.

At no time have I disputed that Oxygen is the most abundant element in the crust (as defined by the sources that I have quoted).

What I have disputed is your assertion that free elemental oxygen exists in the crust (as defined by the sources I cited) beyond localized sources involving water.

I strongly suggest that you stop this dishonesty, and actually engage in some serious discussion.

Do you have any arguments not based on logical fallacies, total falsehoods, or factually incorrect articles?

17. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Thankyou.

18. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Straw man fallacy.

At no point have I debated the existence of free elemental Oxygen in the atmosphere.

19. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You give him more credit then I'm willing to.

I was under the distinct impression that I had made it explicitly clear what I was referring to.

20. Vkothii Banned Banned

So if you were trapped in a coalmine, like those miners that were , the size of any compartment you got left in wouldn't matter in the least, since there's heaps of O2 coming out of the ground? No possibility of suffocation, plenty of fresh air to breathe?

That's pretty out-there, I wonder why cavers and miners run out of oxygen like they do, and need breathing tanks (in case they get trapped somehow)?

21. AlphaNumeric Fully ionized Registered Senior Member

Are you telling me you think there's free oxygen gas in the ground?
    Not in free form, they are all locked up in things like carbonates, flurides, chlorides and nitrates (and other nitrogen compounds).

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

LOL. So tell us Mr. Chemist, what is the difference between free oxygen and O2?

OK I guess we're all happy then.

LOL.

23. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

If there were no O2 in a coal mine, every miner and canary on earth would be dead...

I guess you also wonder how they breathe at all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.