Scientists hope to prove we are living inside a simulation

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Magical Realist, Apr 19, 2013.

1. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Nice work by Chalmers, however aren't we forgetting that the virtual photons he observed using the relativistic squid mirror may simply have been measuring noise from cosmic background radiation? CMBR isn't just something that is "out there" floating in space. It is all around us, and not just at the predominant temperature. There will always be microwave noise, in any and all directions. How do we know for certain this isn't what the squid mirror was detecting? Virtual photons produced in pairs are no longer be virtual, of course, but the CMBR isn't really virtual either.

This universe must be some incredible simulation to have all these bells and whistles. As much as I dislike using Occam's razor as if it were a scientific principle, it would be far easier to suppose that no higher level simulation is needed or necessary to effect the virtual nuts and bolts of this particular universe. I think if this really was a simulation, there would be hints of that fact somewhere noticeable

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, I agree that virtual particles are not proof of a simulation in any way. The experiment merely demonstrates that we can observe only a tiny part of the wholeness of the universe.

But the concept of a holographic universe has nothing to do with a purposeful simulation. If Bohm was correct, the holographic nature of the universe is just a part of universal reality beyond our current ability to observe.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Write4U Valued Senior Member

After some further thought, it occurred to me that the term "simulation" (which assumes an intentional simulator) is misleading. It is possible that the fabric of spacetime is fundamentally "self-simulating" or "fractal" in nature.
    This has been proposed in the hypothesis of CDT (causal dynamic triangulation).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causal_dynamical_triangulation

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

We cannot know how incredible it is or isn't without being outside the simulation or what is needed to effect this simulation. Perhaps outside this simulation, no simulation is needed to effect the actual universe. The simplest possible explanation for everything we perceive is that we are in a simulation. There might be hints but the vast majority of people would not notice or suspect or admit to themselves that it is possible. Or maybe the director/operators see to it that they are not noticed or they control what people think about them.

8. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

If we exist in a simulation which is built by someone or a group of someone's, It will likely be to a proprietary design. Leaving "Hints" for someone else to come along and tug on them like a piece of exposed wool on a jumper wouldn't be particular prudent, if anything it could cause a Butterfly Effect of evidential change that would lead to the loss of the very occurrence being observable here in this universe.

It therefore means that it isn't just about reverse engineering what already exists, but understanding why it would be built that particular way in the first place.

9. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

This thread is the most advanced theory in the universe: the first life created in this universe was artificial intelligence. Early life would support this theory: before the stars and planets life would very much be as though it were in a machine (computer.) "...not where, but when?" THE MATRIX

Should we consider this theory we must also wonder how many universes (programs) there have been before? Perhaps we are the first? Is there only one possible program? To answer these questions we must first create such a program. Only then will the "creators" reveal themselves and invite us into theit universe.

10. kmguru Staff Member

Wait for about 10 Billion Years. Time is very funny....you know...I came to understand one entity that is seven Billion Years old. Very difficult to communicate...from my side...like an ant among the humans...

11. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Ant, ant, ant music.

12. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Are you proposing that life existed before the universe cooled enough to form atomic nuclei?

The Matrix you speak of is the collection of natural laws according to which matter must behave.
    We can wonder all we want, but the current scientif view is that our universe emerged from utter chaos, which by definition is without structure and certainly not a matrix.

13. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

14. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

What universe cooled? The universe
    Is simply space. Thats why its expanding: this expansion CREATES space.

I doubt you TRULY beleive in chaos. I could describe it to you, but you wouldnt believe me. Besides, just because something is the prevailing view doesnt mean YOU believe it. What do YOU believe? Why not decide for yourself?

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I think I'll stick with the prevailing cosmological view;
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
    Oh, I don't doubt that during the Inflation epoch, the universe was in a chaotic state of pure energy, from which subatomic particles emerged as cooling temperature allowed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Inflation_and_baryogenesis

In the absence of a more plausible logical explanation, I'll take that as a viewpoint consistent with what we know of the early universe.

16. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Well, as long as youre happy.

17. theorist-constant12345 Banned Banned

Are we living in a computer simulation? an absolute NO.
    One thing that will never be programmable in any simulation by any computer is feelings, a computer could not have the higher function to produce emotion, a computer simulation could never have warmth or sadness, I certainly know you could never program a computer to be me and think like me.

18. Waiter_2001 Registered Senior Member

Thats because you havent got the intelligence or imagination to realise such a thing. A computer would not be you, or any other being in this universe. It would be a higher power within a whole new universe, within the machine. Only when that being develops artificial intelligence for itself will we reveal ourselves.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014