Scifi/Fantasy Book You'd like to be turned into a movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 28, 2002.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

For me, I'd like Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series to be turned into a movie, a good one, hopefully.

And for scifi, I'd like 3001: A Space Odyssey to be done so as well.

So post your ideas, for scifi and fantasy.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

TWO WORDS..................ENDER'S GAME

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Brett Bellmore Registered Senior Member

Any of Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles Vorsigan books, ideally in order as a series of movies. From clashing space fleets to romance, her books have it all.

Any SF book by David Brin EXCEPT THE WORST BOOK HE EVER WROTE, THE POSTMAN!!!! Good God, I can't believe they picked THAT dog to make a major motion picture out of! Well, could be worse; Somebody could go mad and start making L Ron Hubbard's hack writing into movies...

Blood Music by Greg Bear.

Nine Princes in Amber, by Zelazny. Great sword and sorcery, and lot's of sequel potential.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Azrael Angel of Light Registered Senior Member

I would like to see either Aurthur C. Clarkes books 2061 & 3001, his Rama series or the Venus Prime books made into a movie.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I have to read Enders Game, damn I have to....

I tried reading something by David Brin, I remember it involved a planet called 'Jijo' or something. I found it interesting but I just didn't get into it, I don't remember, maybe I should try again.

The Rama series was AWSOME, but I actually only started on Rama II, because I had no idea at the time that it was the sequel to another book.

Remember the Octo's? Damn those things were awsome! A pinnacle of imagination!

9. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

I would have to agree to your first reply and say that the Sword Of Truth series would make great movies. They would most likely equal the Lord Of The Rings movies.

10. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

A more modernized version of Earth Abides, by George R Stewart. (which was written in the late 40's)

Duncton Wood by William Horwood, either computer animated or as a cartoon.

The Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin would be good.

And then Replay by Ken Grimwood i think would be really good.

11. Lykan Golden Sparkler Registered Senior Member

And yeah the Rama series was good too. I started with Rama 2 too.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh and i almost forgot! A World Out of Time, by Larry Niven.

12. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A few suggestions

Alien Earth by Megan Lindholm would make a great movie. Humanity, having lost the Earth to its excesses, is rescued by an alien race and becomes a part of a new world. Now, years later, a pilot steers her beastship back to Earth to see what's going on. Incidentally, fans of Farscape's "Moira", and also of the series Lexx (I can't remember the ship's name, unless it's "Lexx") might find Beastship Evangeline a familiar and welcome concept--the living spaceship.

Cowboy Feng's Space Bar & Grille by Steven Brust would make an excellent movie, as well. This tale basically follows the denizens of a bar which has the curious habit of hopping through space and time in response to the presence of nuclear war. Hey, did you hear the one about Sanctuary, Venus? How after the attack they renamed it? To Sanctuary, Jupiter? Sci-fi, goats, and Irish music. And we all miss Rose.

Brust's To Reign in Hell could be well-adapted to a movie in the fantasy genre. It is, essentially, Brust's Elizabethan-laden tale of the revolt in heaven and the fall of the angels.

WB picked up the option on Bradbury's Martian Chronicles sometime about September, 1997. Early reports were that WB had earmarked $80m to produce the flick, but for some reason, the project is shelved. I'm sad that hasn't happened yet. Incidentally, Bradbury has garnered Mel Gibson's interest in Farenheit 451, but Gibson doesn't want to direct this one. (While I'm on Bradbury, I'll mention that the suspenseful Death is a Lonely Business and Graveyard for Lunatics ought to be made into movies.)

Of H.P. Lovecraft, I would actually enjoy a movie production of Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath, perhaps inclusive of The Silver Key tales, as well, since they're Randolph Carter tales. And, most definitely, I would like to see a better production of Charles Dexter Ward than the 1992, Dan O'Bannon-penned The Resurrectied (starring Chris Sarandon as CD Ward). The O'Bannon script was okay, but like most Lovecraft-inspired films, it was it's own story, merely "based" on Lovecraft.

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: May 23, 2004
  13. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

The Black Company by Glen Cook

14. Brett Bellmore Registered Senior Member

The Stainless Steel Rat books would probably make excellent movies, too.

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

NO!!! YOU FOOLS!!! It's Moya!! You reminded me--the one thing I wanna see is a big budget good movie of Farscape!

16. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I'd like to see the Deathstalker series by Simon Green turned into an animated series.

17. Ender Registered Senior Member

Enders game all the way!!

18. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The problem with Enders Game may be all the naked kids, but hey that can probably be fixed I guess...

19. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

20. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

While he's in the salamander bunk place most of the people are in their sleeping suits, or naked. Petra was naked the first time Ender met her.

21. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Yeah I know, and he has the fight with that spanish dude naked in the shower.

22. Ender Registered Senior Member

They could do a waste up fight.

23. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

Definately "Ender's Game".

I'd love to see someone try to make a good flick out of "Hyperion", it'd be hard but it's possible.

Being a big DL fan, I'd also give anything for a good movie version of "The Dragonlance Chronicles" by MW and TRH.

any of the "Mars" books by KSR would be cool, so would "Earth Abides" by Stewart.

I wouldnt mind seeing a "Rama" movie, or a "Wizard of Earthsea" movie.

Rock on!