Scifi/Fantasy Book You'd like to be turned into a movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 28, 2002.

1. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

Ender's game could probably make a pretty good animated feature, but stupid adults would no doubt fuck it up while trying to make it "accessible to all ages", 'cause that's clearly what you have to do in animated films.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sugarninja Registered Member

how bout 'Fallen Angels' by larry niven and jerry pournelle?
    get some liberals pissed off for sure. that would make my day. =)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Lilicia Registered Member

Reading something by Orson Scott Card, there was discussion over making Ender's Game a movie but they wanted to age all the characters (ie: make them all teenagers in battle school) to appeal to teenage audiences and forget child actors. Wouldn't that be awful?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I think that the Shadow of the Hegmon, etc. Bean's story on Earth is a little more film friendly than the 3000 year later stories about Ender.

Another good book to movie would be "Sabriel" by Garth Nix

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Sounds to me like they're just more interested in seeing teenagers naked rather than children.

That's the major problem, because if the film was true to the book we'd have kids naked for like, half of the movie (not to mention a fight scene).

But anyway, welcome to sciforums.

I'm a liberal, and I can be pissed off if you want me to be

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Related question that makes things more interesting: What books would make good anime?

As for Ender's Game, they could give them skivies, or some such.

I've always thought it would work better to write a new story for a movie, rather than "alter" a book.

9. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

For the most part I hate anime. So I don't think any books would make good anime.

What dost thou mean? Like a similar story in the same universe?

In which case I would agree.

10. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

It seems you got to dig to find great anime, some dont' have the motivation to dig, some the time.

You got the idea. I believe I mentioned earlier, I don't think book/movie conversions work, so a new story made specifically for the big screen would be best.

11. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Oh. I see.

Well, the only anime I liked was Princess Mononoke. I've seen other stuff, like Dragonball Z, Tenchi Muyo, but I haven't watched it in years. It didn't seem to be of too high a quality.

12. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

You also gotta realize that different people have different tastes. one person's trash is another's treasure. You're probably not an anime person.

I can think of four formats(for lack of a better word)?:
    live action(real actors, etc.)
    animation
    anime
    computer animation

The question would also include which one your making the movie as.

13. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Well, the worst would be if all 3 were in one. *shudder* It'd be funny, you'd have a real life actor standing next to an anime character beating a CG monster that looks like Disney's Mickey Mouse.

14. incendiary Registered Senior Member

Movies about great books are, to me, a dumbing down and insult to original text. Great books are to intense, personal, and complex to turn into movies that would only deter people from reading a book they saw as a movie.

But my rant aside i would say "stranger in a strange land". If it was 12 hours long so none of the good stuff was left out.

15. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Stranger in a Strange Land? That's Heinlen, isn't it? Ironically (according to your post) I actually read Starship Troopers because of the movie several years ago. I loved it, even if it was a little wierd.

Books are great, and hopefully they will always be great. They always have been great. Movies, or any other form of manufactured entertainment, can never beat an awesome book. But still, it is nice to watch a good movie based on a good book now and again, like The Fellowship of the Ring, for example. I don't know if I'll ever get over how much I love that movie. And the soundtrack. And the book.

*embraces the inner nerd*

stop......stop....no more

This is true. I'm all for scifi, and if the anime is good I'll watch it. I just can't really get into the style of the drawings, even if they are unique...and all. But they just don't speak to me like live action or computer animation, they're not my deal. It's just a subgenre of scifi that I'm not really a part of.

16. incendiary Registered Senior Member

Starship Troopers is a perfect example I read the book after seeing the movie,which got me into other Heinlen books. The book makes a big deal about how men and women are seprate on the ship. While in the movie all you see are naked women. In the book Dizy was a guy who dies in like the first chapter with out any explanation of him just his name.

17. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Starship Troopers I have not seen. Anyone who has read the book will remember that the exo-suits were a bit more practical that what I've heard of the movie. I'm sure there's a few other things they screwed up.

I don't know if they do it in the movie, but at the end of the book, they explain that the ship was named after some guy in 'nam(can't remember exactly).

18. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

The ship's name was the Roger Young, I think. And yeah, I was disapointed to see that dizzy was a guy instead of a chick that slept around with everyone

But I think that, in spite of its shortcomings, the movie is worth a viewing.

19. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Pollux Stranger in a Strange land is a great book! But a movie.... only if it doesnt have Jeff Goldbloom in it.

What I think would be a great Movie, or even TV series, are the books about Honor Harrington. By David Weber.

20. Rowen Registered Senior Member

Dragons

I would absolutely kill to see Anne McCafferey's Dragonriders of Pern series developed into movies. Specifically the first three books.

21. UberDragon The Freak at the Computer Registered Senior Member

Again, I reiterate this point. THE SHADOW SERIES by George Lucas and Chris Claremont!!!

22. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

books i think should me filmicized

I mentioned some of these before i think. These books should be made into good movies:
    "Earth Abides" by Stewart
    "Hitchhiker's Guide" series by Douglas
    "Dragonlance Chronicles" trilogy by Weis/Hickman
    "We" Zamyatin
    "Hyperion" quartet by Simmons
    "Mars" trilogy by KSR
    "the Dispossessed" by Le Guin
    "Cryptonomicon" by Stephenson

23. airdog prehensile Registered Senior Member

R.U.R. (Rossum's Universal Robots)-the old novel that first popularized and may have introduced the word "Robot."

Last edited: Nov 28, 2002