Scifi/Fantasy Book You'd like to be turned into a movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 28, 2002.

1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Definatly "A Mote in God's Eye" by Niven.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. barsoom Registered Member

Re: Alan Dean Foster: YES YES YES!

Anything by Niven and Pournelle! The Legacy of Herot anyone?

When my youngest son was in Grade One, he once came home crying because the teacher wouldn't let him get a book in library class. I marched right down to the school and confronted her. She said, "He was disruptive in class and wouldn't listen during storytime." Apparently the book they were reading in 'storytime' was "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" by Dr. Suess, which Al (my son) had read many times years before. I explained that he was familiar with the book and was probably bored. I suggested that she could have perhaps allowed him to pick another book and read on his own.

She said she had tried that but he refused to pick a book from the 'appropriate' shelf. I asked her to show me the shelf and it was one containing more Dr. Suess (of the most elementary kind). I explained to her that, at home, Al had just finished the novelization of "ET: The Extraterrestrial" and was currently reading the booklength version of "Enemy Mine" by Barry Longyear. She refused to believe it and I had to have Al read something from an 'adult' book before she would believe it.

In the years since Al has turned a bit away from reading and it was with great joy that I heard him ask tonight, "I just finished 'Moon of Mutiny'. It was really good. Have you got anything else like that?"

I gave him "Plague Ship" by Andre Norton and "For Love of Mother-Not" by Alan Dean Foster.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

I think Chronicles of Narnia movies would be lame. I liked the books, and they turned them into a funky miniseries, and the miniseries just wasn't that great.

Alan Dean Foster...haven't read anything of his. Recommend his best book and summarize it for me please!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. barsoom Registered Member

Alan Dean Foster's Best

Another hard question... although I'm truely a fan of his Flinx and Pip series, I would have to say... "Nor Crystal Tears". It's a book about a small farming community of a backward planet that gets a visit from some repulsive aliens. These aliens are hideous! They actually wear their skeletons on the inside, not the outside like any self respecting intelligent insect. A first contact story from the aliens point of view. Give it a try.

barsoom

8. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Darn I liked that book (Nor Crystal Tears) but it has bees so very long scince I thought of it. Thanks for bringing it up.

Go RyoZenZuZex!

9. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Have you ever seen early attempts at Lord of the Rings???

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

sad little pieces of entertainment they were and look at it now

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Tolkien's "Hobbit" anyone

10. puffy Registered Member

Legends of Dragoon

I think that they should make a movie out of the Four disc playstation game Legends of Dragoon. That game has one of the best RPG story lines I have ever played. It would make a great movie. Even if they made it computer animated like Final Fantasy the Spirits Within, it would be awsome.:m:

11. puffy Registered Member

Anime

They are finally making a movie out of my favorite anime series COWBOY BEBOP. This will be released in theaters!:m:

12. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I cant believe anyone has not mentioned E E "Doc" smiths "Lensman" series! I mean the first 6 books, the last one only has one lensman in it and doesnt really belong. They have everything, battles, bigger battles, and even bigger explosions, complete with 2D characters that would feel right at home in many of todays action movies, not to mention really mega gigantic explosions, you could spend an entire special effects budget on getting them right. Plus its the good old good versus evil stuff, total schlock, but entertaining fun. Except perhaps for todays audience, theres not enough sex.

HHmm, then theres all the more normal peoples work say Poul Anderson or C J Cherryh and others whose books would make perfectly good scifi films. Not necessarily brilliant, but I think many of them would translate well to the screen.

The problem with the second and third of Brins uplift "trilogy" is that they are too huge and complex, with multiple characters and much going on, which would make them very hard to pull off in a film, look at the trouble with Dune for example. I have the first of the second trilogy, and cant be bothered reading it cos its so damned huge.

13. barsoom Registered Member

What do you mean? Kim and Clarissa must have had sex... where else could all those second-stage lensmen come from? I do think serious thought should be given to this series. There was a Japanese anime, called "Lensman", which was very loosely based on the book "Galatic Patrol". It wasn't very good plot wise and not very representative of the rest of the books.

Brin can be wordy but in the end he's worth it. I haven't gotten around to completing the second trilogy, however I do intend to. I would like to think that someday Brin's Uplift universe will make it to the screen. The movie wouldn't have to follow any of the books. It could be something he writes specifically for the screen... who knows.

14. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Well, they never had sex on screen, is what i am thinking, a few good kisses and thats it. And lots of sighing after each other in the approved fashion.

As for Brin writing something specifically for the screen, that leads us to ask would it be a new book for us fans, or else a mangled for the screen version of his stories? After all a certain amount of cutting is necessary for the screen, look at LOTR. Therefore would that destroy his original plots and ideas too much or not? I suppose it just depends.

15. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

This is why, for SciFi, I prefer a good mini-series over a movie ANYDAY...With a mini-series you can show more of the story, and sometimes a smaller budget can make your film better by forcing you to use more intelligent dialogue, plot twists, camera work, etc.

-AntonK

16. aghart Registered Senior Member

WAR OF THE WORLDS

but this time set in London in the late 19th century like it's supposed to be!!!

I never read the book but the one thing that baffled me about the film was this, how come they had the technology to transport an army across half the known universe but when they landed on the 'bug' planet the only mode of transport from A to B was their 'plates'. 'plates' of meat = 'FEET'.

17. twobob Registered Senior Member

The "Culture" series by Iain A Banks

18. revbill2001 Registered Senior Member

My two cents

I'de like to see Heinlein's "Time Enough For Love" turned into a scifi movie, even if it did have to be rated mature.

19. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Belgariad - David Eddings

20. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

That would certainly be interesting.

21. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

It would have to be along the lines of Lord of The Rings; made into a trilogy but would anyone have the "guts" to put up the front money?

22. revbill2001 Registered Senior Member

The Lord of the Rings is being made into a trilogy, so why not.

23. Sarcophagus Registered Member

No offense, but the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a bit more popular worldwide, which is why it was fronted so much money to be made. Secondly, it's been attempted before, making it easier to "learn from past mistakes".