Scifi/Fantasy Book You'd like to be turned into a movie

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, May 28, 2002.

1. Sarcophagus Registered Member

Personally, I'd like to see another Babylon 5 made-for-TV movie. Take the Techno-Mage novel series for example. That would be spectacular.

In the Beginning and Thirdspace were good. I wasn't much of a fan of River of Souls, possibly because I've never really been interested in the Soul Hunters. I find them boring. But the Techno-Mages ... Ahhh yes!

Another possibility would be the Psi Corps novels. It would be nice to see Walter Koenig reprise his role as Bester for the climatic ending. After all, they made Peter Jurassic look much older when they shot the scenes of old Emperor Londo in future Centauri Prime. Why not?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Sarcophogus - I agree with you which is why I said "if anyone had the guts".........

As for B5, sheer writing brilliance and so well acted. A masterpiece of Sci Fi.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. revbill2001 Registered Senior Member

No offense taken. sarcophagus, You are right , of course, Lord of the Rings has been done before, and is more accepted worldwide , however, what I am referring to is doing it the right way. It should not be done by combining two or more books together into one movie, but each book done on its own. I think all trilogies should be done this way, otherwise you are forced to leave out large sections that should be included to make the story complete, or make it so long that people won't sit all the way through it.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

LOTR - I agree. I was sitting watching the first two and thinking to myself. they missed that out, or this out.......

8. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Perhaps LOTR could have been made four or even five movies?

9. Swiftbreath Registered Member

Well, I think you're being a bit insatiable, considering Tolkien was completely against the novel being split up into even 3 parts.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nah, you're right- I cried when the Barrow-Downs weren't in Fellowship...

10. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I seem to recall reading/ hearing htat Tolkein originally wanted to make the other two books as long as the first one. think of how long the fellowship of hte ring takes to get going. that used to worry me when i was younger, now I wish he'd had the time/ energy to make the otehrs longer.

11. Sion Registered Member

I think that david webers Honor Harrington series would make a a at least decent movie series, only problem would be honors telempathic communications with her treecat, nimitz in the later books. path of the fury by same author would be cool, can't beat the combination of Alicia a cyborg in the elite dropcommandos, tissophone the last of the greek furies( a demigoddess) and megera a living ai of an alpha synth warship.
    for a fantasy id pick black magician trilogy by trudi canavan

12. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

J.R.R. Tolkien "Hobbit"

J.R.R. Tolkien "Lord of the Rings" - Ralph Bakshi's animated sequel

13. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm never happy with books of any genre turned into movies. "Being There" and "Lord of the Rings" are the only two exceptions I can think of.

Usually when they make a movie out of fantasy and sci fi they emphasize the visuals. You already know the story, so they want to give you the experience of feeling like you're there. The recent "Dune" made me feel like I was there, but I hadn't read the book in so long that I had no idea what was going on story-wise. The Harry Potter movies are probably very engaging for younger audiences, but the stories are lost.

"Lord of the Rings," as I said, was a good job, but it took nine hours. How long would "Ringworld" have to be?

14. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

I love David Weber. My favorite of the Honor Harrington series was the one where she escaped from hell (the prison planet).

Have you read any John Ringo? His work with David Weber (March Upcountry and it's sequels) are very good. And his solo stuff's not bad either.