Sciforums attracts extremists and trolls?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by blankc, Jul 23, 2003.

?

Is sciforums getting flooded?

1. Yes, man the lifeboats!

19 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. No, it's fine.

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  3. Now where's my watergun, this stuff is fun!

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

Every month that goes by things become more and more a shouting match between two opposing extreme positions. Many people here are blatant trolls. I didn't come here originally to see who can out insult each other. I'll have to take a vacation from this site untill it's sanity level rises. There is no debating with shooting, drooling extremists. Please people, use your brains, and stop provoking for the "fun" of it, that is what AOL chatrooms are for. I wish there were a modifier that allows good intelligent threads to be marked and voted as such. This hands-off moderation policy used to work, but the tide of idiots is swelling, and the lowlands are being flooded.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nico Banned Banned

Ohhhh i agree 100% the WEP forum has some good posters but many are just plain stupid. Some are there just to anger the opposition. I consider myself a mod. in the WEP forum, and I feel as if it is collapsing.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mystech Adult Supervision Required Registered Senior Member

You consider yourself a mod? That has to be the single stupidest thing I have ever heard.

You don't just consider yourself a moderator, what the hell good does that do anyone? The lines between who is and isn't a moderator are quite clear, it's kind of a yes no thing. Considering yourself one doesn't get you jack shit.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ghassan Kanafani Mujahid Registered Senior Member

I agree with Nico

Go sort 'em out

But blankc , could you please point out what you are talking about ?

If it is the extremicy of a position in relation to all other positions on the forum , then I must say a judgement of the value of a debate is not the position but rather the argument that creates a position irrelavant of its extremicy in relation to others .

I think that we need fascism on Sciforums and the rights of peoples need to be reconsidered . There should be a technocratic application of intelligent debate ensuring a carefull and correct division of pre-arranged intelligence points , resulting in different accounts peoples have ..... you know something like the issue with the cash . If you pay you get more abilities , and so it should be if you can prove intelligence . As in addition the opposite should happen if you prove stupidity .

An example :

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=400473#post400473

clearly showing inferior intelligence . Now how can it be that such individuals can be allowed to use more than smiley's (3max) in their posts ? Would their opinion not be reflected just as perfect in the eyes of those who are obviously superior to them ?

You tell me , but I think fascism shouldnt be an issue if its based on the universal virtue that is intelligence . Hey , I hate fascism just like any other guy

, but if its based on the right pemisses .........

And no banning shouldnt be an option , but can we not show them their place ? Irrelevant to their position , would be a system that organizes the level of debate to be on its max level possible , as you simply create a natural-selection system dealing with that what creates debates the best way : intelligence .

Im sure if Nico was a mod he'd consider my ideas

8. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

This is one of the most absurd things that I have read in a while.

9. nico Banned Banned

You consider yourself a mod? That has to be the single stupidest thing I have ever he

I meant moderate person on WEP, sorry if you mis-interupted that.

Im sure if Nico was a mod he'd consider my ideas

Well if I was a moderator under your forum G.K I would be a Stalinist. MEOW!

10. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The fact is, <i>every</i> popular forum attracts extremists and trolls. The more people know about and use a forum, the more nutters who turn up, because they think they'll get an audience.

What matters is how trolling and extremism is dealt with.

11. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

A modest proposal.

We can eat the stupid. Efficient and tasty!
    /joke - look it up if you don't get it.

An idea that may work is to rename forum sections with language that the stupid wouldn't understand, and thus they would be lost! Don't forget to rearange thier order, even a rat can memorize previous positions.

Or a voluntary solution that need not be official, but could possibly be effective, would be to ensure you name any new threads you write with titles that would leave the dumb dumbfounded, perhaps cryptic, or perhaps uncommun vocabulary. And to further safeguard your discussion, use advanced vocabulary throughout.

This wouldn't be completely fair though, as some who aren't good with language may be very insightful and civil. And some who could decipher it, would still be trolls, or immature. But it's better than nothing. Maybe someone here has a better solution?

12. SG-N Registered Senior Member

1 month ago it was still "extrem", but now I think that it's better : the most extremists have been banned and those who are still writing in these forums are more moderate. Of course they've got their opinion but in general, they are more civilised and more "open" to the others'opinions.
    I've got no problem with WEP and it seems to be well moderated but maybe that personnal attacks should be warned. I mean that it's personal attacks that make a thread being a crap...
    Anyway, we are on the good way to have interesting discussions!

13. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

I object to the "term" Troll, to me it is a nonsensical colloquialism that is nonsensical and over used and used as a batton to beat over the head another who holds differing opinions to the ones you hold, and furthermore dares to argue as such, defending his/her beliefs.

However that is not to say that there indeed are some extremely immature and offensive members present on this forum, but they should be allowed to stay to further embarass themselves.

14. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

However it seems that in your case the term is wholly appropriate.

Furthermore I've even gone to the trouble of highlighting the words applicable to you. just to make easier for you to grasp.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2003
  15. SG-N Registered Senior Member

Zero :

You're proving what I said...

16. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

1) SG-N: Indeed he/she/it is.
    2) Zero: it's Favours, you can't even insult me using proper English.
    3)You must be into necrophilia, my Mother has been dead for over 20 years.

17. Wraith, what are you, a Canadian/British hermit? His spelling is fine. Conventionally, American English throws out the "u" in words like "honour,"" behaviour," and "favour".

[EDIT] I'm sorry, Wraith; I didn't realize that Zero had corrected you.

To compensate for this rashness on my part: Zero, you're also wrong.[/EDIT]

18. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

As an extremist I must ask; Where do you expect us to go? Extremistforums.org?
    Its not like we can voice our crazy opinions in public, give us this one little favour and let us stay.

PS: You are all diseases and I was put on this earth to find a cure. Kisses

19. kajolishot Registered Senior Member

It's all good for the most part.

People just need to learn to respect one another.
    There doesn't seem to be any sense of 'community' here;
    I don't know maybe because I haven't been here long enough to notice civility.

20. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Nope; part of the pain of growing. The sense of community
    dissappeared sometime in the last year to year and half.

:m: Peace.

21. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Believe me. I've seen far worse than sciforums. I like this place a lot.

22. outlandish smoki'n....... Registered Senior Member

Redoubtable:

Which came first, "American" English, or "British" English?

No! really?! You don't say! Thank you for enlightening me.

How can he correct me when I'm the one using proper English?

In amongst the torrent of insults and banal comments spewed by Zero, this is what you pick up on?

23. Zero Banned Banned

*sigh*

Should I even bother to reply?

I don't really care about the differences between British English and American English.

And of all the intelligent things Wraith could be saying, he decides to ignore them all and talk about my "improper English". Right, uh huh. He's basically claiming that all Americans are using "wrong" English.

Whee!! Everyone copy British English now! And their funky accent, too!