SciForums Is Closing

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by darksidZz, Nov 23, 2010.

?

Answer

Poll closed Dec 23, 2010.
  1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

16.7%
  3. Unsure

50.0%
  4. Close your face =p

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Well not really but what if it did?! How would this impact your life and what would you feel about it? Tell us.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I know you'd end working for some polling company.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. M00se1989 Banned Banned

Most people here would be happy to not see any more of my posts. Then I would have to find their door just to ask them stupid questions.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Why do you start such rumors anyway, you must work for the media in some form.

I have a life away from this place so I'd just do what I am doing already when I'm not here but just not be here.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. John99 Banned Banned

impact ='s ten minutes.

9. The Esotericist Getting the message to Garcia Valued Senior Member

I'm not sure I understand the poll. Yes? Yes what, it's closing? You aren't Plazma, or one of his socks, or a moderator are you? So, um. . . I'm going to say, considering where this is posted, and it's a poll. . . the correct answer would be No?

Close your face =p

Unsure?

it is what it is. I have other places I go too. This one's just has the best balance of crazy and sane, and people who don't have a clue which is which.

It's global too. It would be really kick ass if it were available in several languages with a hub that translated it into one common language. Then it wouldn't have such a western cultural slant. But imagine the headache?

10. stratos Banned Banned

There was a similar thread recently called "If Sci died, where would you go?" Taken together, no-smoke-without-firers would draw the conclusion Sci's days are numbered (either that or we're dealing with a large ego here needing regular flattery). Sci's departure could be for a number of reasons:

1) S/he's worn out. Fair enough, she's done her bit, posted 24/7, earned a rest. Guy Sajer *.

2) S/he's completed her mature student stage (otherwise known as "regrets retrieval", the attempt to make up for poor decision-making as a teenager).

3) S/he's realised what every man knows, that while intellectual systems such as science and linguistics are fascinating, all you need to experience total relaxation and inner peace is an armchair, some cans and a television.

4) S/he's disenchanted with internet forums, where, as long as you have one or two gratuitous facts here and there, people will think you know about nuclear fission/ Iceland/ micro-surgery.

5) None of these.

In the sad event of Sci's demise, perhaps s/he will leave a Will, normally the only place you can make a point and state your case with no answering back at all.

( * author. Served on the Russian front for several years without relief.)

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The only real solution is suicede....

12. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I was part of a site that went away overnight- and that's what they all do- go away instantly... all files deleted and gone. It's sad actually.

I am sure many participants here would be willing to contribute $5-$10 a head to finance this place... all they want is a star or something next to their name to show they donated- something for the site owner to consider.

13. stratos Banned Banned

Would your life without Sciforums be as bad as all that? If you feel all your energy disappearing over the horizon with its arse on fire and never has one person suffered so much, you need to get moving. Go out. Be extremely nice to everyone in your life. This may be unnerving for them but it gives you the moral high ground which is a lovely place with great views.

14. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

Most people would have to compensate for there lack of security another way

15. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

???

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

Too bad. Not as easy to curtail political speech or ideas when the members donate and have a say in their investment.

But I'd pay. Maybe a more open-minded forum without all the fussiness of certain persons would be a good alternative? Not to diminish Sciforums, but as a Sciforums 2.0; a diversion. Where we wouldn't have to deal with people jumping the gun about Internet 2.0 or whatever the heck they perceive it to be.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

This site has very good visibility on google.
    It would take a fresh site a fortune to get its visibility.

Just post something and check a sentence from it a couple of hours later.
    It'll be on there.

I once set up a free website using orange.
    I was getting up to 100 hits per day, which for a small selling site is brilliant.
    They closed it down and I left them.

The site might change its format, but it won't close.
    Unless someone is determined to throw money away.