Sciforums photos album

Discussion in 'About the Members' started by Sciencelovah, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah, I see. But doesn't a slip collar do the same thing?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Grim_Reaper I Am Death Destroyer of Worlds Registered Senior Member

As Ceasar Milan says a well balanced dog is a well behaved Dog.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No.
    They are supposed to be placed behind the ears and used to "steer" the dog, the way one would do with the reigns on a horse.

It chokes them and can injure them if used for restraint.

THAT is inhumane.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. John99 Banned Banned

what do you have a dog like that for?

8. sniffy Banned Banned

Aw that's just mean..... In most cases aggressive dogs are due to poor training. I stand by the fact that aggressive dogs (aside from guard dogs) should be put down they are a danger to themselves, their owners and the general public. They tend to be bred that way by certain unscrupulous owners but can also just be that way...

Ack! Dogs shouldn't be pets at all really.....but we are way, way too far along that slippery slope...

9. John99 Banned Banned

ridiculous statemnet.

10. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I never said anything about it being inhumane. I'm just asking a question.. :shrug:

11. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Bullshit.
    There are a lot of breeds that are fiercely loyal to the pack with all others and there are some breeds that are that way only toward other dogs.
    It has nothing to do with training at all, and with responsible owners are a threat to nobody.
    Thea has never bitten anyone - never even come close to nipping. She even played with a friend's two year old child.
    She has never showed the slightest sign of aggression towards any person, and is fairly well trained.
    She also has a number of dogs "friends".
    But if a dog she does not know is encroaching on her territory (our yard) or is showing aggression toward either her or Max, she will lunge without a moment's hesitation and go straight for the throat of any dog - regardless of the size.
    She is a threat to nobody AT ALL - it just means we can't take her to dog parks, and have to be aware when we are taking her for walks and other IRRESPONSIBLE dog owners are walking their dogs off the leash.
    This is the case with most aggressive dogs I have known, and this is the standard for many breeds.
    They are no threat, unless they feel their pack is being threatened.
    Dumb ass, irresponsible dog owners are a threat - not dogs.

I agree.

I know you didn't.
    That was a continuation of an earlier train.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, sorry

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

ahh I see.. but aren't there other kind of muzzles? that are a solid clothlike thing?

14. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico.

15. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

that place is sooo pretty..its a shame i have been to it just once and i dont live ubber far!!

16. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Somewhere near the Four Corners.

Badwater, Death Valley, CA

Bonneville Salt Flat, UT

17. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

Salt Lake, UT

Top of Mt. Elbert, CO - the highest peak in the Rocky Mountains.

I have a bunch more pictures I could post... but I'll worry about that later.

18. christa Frankly, I don't give a dam! Valued Senior Member

thats a pic of the NM side! hahahaaa.. I can tell..because the lack of our trees..and the crappyness of it all!

19. sniffy Banned Banned

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Then you should have said, "Aggressive toward humans."

Jacks, all terriers really, have a VERY strong prey drive.
    Jacks have been bred for many years to be fox hunters.
    They corner a fox in it's hole, and the only way to get the dog out of the hole is to grab it by the tail and drag it out.
    This not only enhances the prey drive of the breed, but enhances the feeling that it is a worker in the pack, subservient to the alpha - which means they are very protective.
    The provide food and protection to their pack.

The one curious exception is female Jacks.
    It is not recommended to have two female Jacks (two males, or one and one is fine) because there is a very good chance one will end up killing the other. Not unlike female humans, really.

21. sniffy Banned Banned

Sometimes - no matter how hard you may want to deny it, aggressive dogs can become aggressive towards humans. Non aggressive dogs can also become aggressive towards humans

. This is because dogs, like humans, are unpredictable. Even though we know an awful lot about dogs (and humans) the unpredictable sometimes happens. Grey areas. I thought you were a fan of those.....?

A knowledgeable owner, and I'm sure you are one, will understand the signs that things might just be about to go pear shaped. I always say to children and adults who come dashing over to my dog (everybody wants to stroke him). Approach slowly, bend or crouch with your hand held out, make nice soothy noises, don't stare directly into his eyes (until you get to know him better). I watch his tail and his body language. If his tail is stiff he's not sure. If he starts to growl, he's not very happy. If he starts to whine a little he's either scared or desperate to get to know you. Waggy tail - no worries. Usually if he is at home off the lead he's desperate to get to know you better!!

Not unlike male men either but I'll let that one go.....

Erm you know I live in the place that invented fox hunted don't you? I know quite a bit about jacks..... they also make excellent racers because of that prey drive. I've still got some of the old trophies and rosettes.....

22. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Just as some who are not aggressive at all will do the same.
    Take a look at Dalmations and German Shepherds.

Did you know that a tail wagging to one side or the other is supposed to mean different things?
    Full wag is OK.
    Wag just to the left, if I recall correctly, means it is concerned.
    Wag just to the right means somethign else - but I don't remember what.

We thought about getting them into racing - they LOVE jobs and recognition - but Max is too flaky and excitable and Thea is too aggressive toward other dogs.

23. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Male men huh?

What kind is your dog?