SciForums Policy Discussion

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jun 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Moderators have more responsibilities and functions than regular members, therefore they need a separate section, the same as human rights and the regulation of parliamentary powers is not done in one chapter in the Latvian constitution.

I write legal acts and contracts as my bread and butter, TOR, I doubt your are more competent in this.

No, I just have fun. It's healthy for ones nervous system, you know.
    I'd suggest you have some fun too, but it appears you are already having it by questioning mods for no good reason.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Creative Fossil Banned Banned

Exactly, thank you for agreeing with me. TWO sets of rules for TWO sets of people. Thus a contract between two groups.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

I don't think I was agreeing with you. What I am saying is that Rule set A applies to regular members and moderators/admins. Rule set B applies only to moderators.. but basically all rule set B says is that rule set A applies to moderators and that the moderators have the power to enforce them. The way I see them is that it's really just one set of rules for everyone.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Your logic is so pervertly wrong from a legal standpoint that my head hurts.
    I'm not going to waste my time explaining that to you,
    but I will answer a personal enquiry from Plazma Inferno or any other mod when I have more time.

Ciao.

8. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

Personal attacks aside I think the important thing about SciForums, and indeed those posting on it is that we discuss things in a scientific-lite. That of course means not arguing over every little thing someone says, which in all honesty can take on very different meaning later on down the line... You're each digging to deep into comments which mean very little in the end.

As for name-calling, I consider language to be art, and therefore names being thrown back or forth mean very little, it's merely a method of expressing yourselves... now I would prefer you did this without swearing but ehh..

You both sound real mad, it's scary

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. Creative Fossil Banned Banned

On a positive note:

One of the improvements I applaud was moving free thoughts to no mans land.

It was not a very good advert for the board having it as pick of the day!

10. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

well some of us have enough stress in our life we just like to joke around and shoot the shit...

11. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Ok, so back to science.

Creative (and anyone else who is interestd)---answer this quesiton please.

12. darksidZz Valued Senior Member

They should only be tolerated provided you give some evidence which contradicts the current paradigm.

13. Creative Fossil Banned Banned

Yes Ben they should be tolerated and responded to accordingly. This is a discussion board not a pure science peer reviewed board.

14. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

And what do you mean responded to?

15. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Plasma---

Maybe you could ask Spidergoat how much of a pain in the ass it was to take the time to read the discussion and follow it and delete the off-topic posts? I could imagine some of the more active fora having trouble keeping up with the posting rate.

16. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Creative back to the point---

All points of view, even in an objective matter such as science, should be given equal weight?

17. John99 Banned Banned

Fair enough. Some mods moderate on emotion a little too much, this is never good.

Ganging up on posters and mob mentality is another point that should specifically made. When the Administrator deems a poster unfit he bans them so why should a group of member be able to follow a poster around and trash their threads?

Well anyway, i guess this kind of addresses this:

18. BenTheMan Dr. of Physics, Prof. of Love Valued Senior Member

Why shouldn't they be able to do this? If someone posts bad science, for example, I will follow them even to other websites and list what's wrong with their ideas. There may be some differences between something which is subjective, like politics or religion, and something that it objective, like science.

Since SciForums attempts to cover everything, no one set of rules is going to work for every forum.

19. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It's a big pain, which is why I encourage members to abide by the rules that by joining this forum we agreed to follow.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That is a valid concern. I'm mostly just responding to complaints that others have made. Some degree of off-topic posting isn't a bad thing.

21. Plazma Inferno! Ding Ding Ding Ding Administrator

Creative Fossil there is no Plazma’s rules on SciForums.
    But, if you refer to this thread, then I clearly stated what I will do if off topic occurs.

That mean I will warn you and leopold and I’ll delete your off topic posts. Be very, very careful not to stumble on 2.

Second thing: No need to be hostile with moderators. In this thread we all discuss as members. For commonly good.

Your posts should be addressed to each member who participates in this thread, not only to me. That means that you disrespect other members and their suggestions.

Moderators are also members, but there should be a distinction between moderators and members, not discrimination or abuse, just distinction. Like on every forum.
    You have members who participate in discussions, moderators who also participate in discussions and also steer that discussions in right direction. At the end there are administrators to participate in discussion (optional), steer discussion (optional) and monitor all members, including moderators.
    We could have opposed views, but we are not enemies.

But, further in my responds.

You recieved that answer. Community should recognize the contribution, and that isn't so hard.

Same action as will be taken against any other member. But, could you give an example of what breach? Of which part of policy? We still discuss policy here. Policy isn't finished yet. That's why I opened this thread.

This part is important when someone in thread said to you (for example): "You piece of shit... Why don't you just go and kill yourself?" (I can say what I want to, even if I'm not serious, blah, blah... Sorry for digression!)
    That means that member who said that will recieve an infraction and if he decides to make a complaint to mod who gave the infraction or to other mod or administrator, he/she has no right to asisstance or reversal of infraction, because it's it's obvious insulting.

This part about neutrality is ok. I like it.

Regarding your concern about bringing the scientific spirit in SciForums.
    SciForums is scientific forum. But, there will always be place for off topic and casual discussion, as so far, but in propriate forums.
    So don't worry, you won't be left without place to rant and talk nonsense.

Anyway, one suggestion: Don't write in red, bold and in bigger size. I think we all see your point very well.

Thanks for input.

This is how things should go for now. Moderators follow the same rules as members, not only in other forums, but in their own also.

Thanks.

Ben and DarksidezZ thank you for your suggestions.

I hope that other members will take part in discussion.

22. Creative Fossil Banned Banned

warn me for what? I never breached any rules. I called no names and i insulted no one. If I did show me the post you refer to.

I have not been hostile to moderators in this thread, if I have show me the post. Avatar was hostile and rude and patronising while quoting rules.

Meanwhile where in the rules does it say members HAVE to respond TO EVERY members post in the thread? You accuse me of disrespect? There are hundreds of members here whose posts are NEVER responded to. Posters have a right to respond to whomever they desire. BUT clearly thats a NEW rule you just created to apply to me.

Your reaction here demonstrates the problem. You have blatantly ignored the poor conduct or your moderator and accused me unjustly of being hostile as well as associating me with leo's flaming when I blatantly asked him over and over to post to me in pm and keep the insults off the thread.

You wouldn't know that of course because someone deleted my reasonable responses. How very convenient. Fortunately Ben kept an active track and can verify I tried my damndest to keep Leo from flaming and never once retaliated in kind.

It is very sad, you invited comment and your respond defensively rather than constructively.

There in the problem lies, the board is moderated and ran by persons who cannot be impartial.

I have tired to bring the problems as I see them to the foreground , you choose to ignore them, that's your choice. You have no hope in hell of resolving anything while you wear rosy tinted glasses with regard those moderators who do an appalling job.

They make a mockery of the board. You are too emotional to see what is under your nose. It is sad, the board will continue along its current path.

That's it from me, really no point saying anything to someone with blinkers on.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2007
  23. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

While I am opposed to removing Free Thoughts from SF (been discussed), I have a few suggestions for it:

1) Move it further down the list (well, that's already been done)
    2) Rename Free Thoughts to "Off Topic" or something similar (like Misc.)
    3) Make Free Thoughts a private subforum, visible only to registered users. However, Invert has pointed out (when I suggest the same thing be done with the cesspool) this will make it impossible to do a google search for buried threads of interest. I'm hoping to find a work around to this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.