Shock from a camera flash is lethal!!

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Hideki Matsumoto, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weed_eater_guy It ain't broke, don't fix it! Registered Senior Member

a mini coilgun wouldn't do much but be a cool toy. in fact, it's not a bad idea!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Csel Poiuy Registered Member

im sure you'll be able to find info on the internet about it, i think i saw a couple sites out there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river-wind Valued Senior Member

I used to take everything apart when I was a kid.
    One day I woke up on the living room floor, then remembered that I had been taking apart a small camera I had pulled out of the trash. I still don't remember the shock. Just a blank 10 minutes in my life.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. GodlessEvil God is dead Registered Senior Member

I take it this works the same way as TV picture tubes, they hold charges as high as 30,000 volts even if they are switched off.

You can redirect the chrge to somewhere else, preferbly not your own body, just use a screwdriver with wire attached to the screwdriver and earth it.

8. AlexK Registered Member

It would be nice if I could read about capacitors discharging (cool!) without discussion of plots to kill my country's president. Damn dude!
    Go join a terrorist forum, you will fit right in.

9. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i like ideas like that.simple but clever clever.like car battery recharging.

10. vslayer Registered Senior Member

um, wtf?

11. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Screw you. Noone in this thread has mentioned killing Bush, or Blair, or Wen, or Putin, or Terry, or wherever the hell you come from.

12. RubiksMaster Real eyes realize real lies Registered Senior Member

Have you been staring into too many camera flashes, because you are blind. Much of the first page was devoted to plots of killing Bush. Who the hell is "GWB" if not President Bush? Can you not see this? vslayer obviously needs psychological help. True, he would fit in at a terrorist forum, but that will only encourage him. I don't go to Russia and talk about killing your leader (whoever the hell he is), because I have respect for other people, and other countries.

Back on the topic of camera flashes:
    My friend and I took the circiut and mounted it in a glove. If I remember correctly, the two terminals were the first two fingers. It was cool, but we could only get a few pops per battery.

When we were building it, my friend discharged the capacitor by accident (luckily not with his hand). It scared him so bad he flew out of his chair and flew about 5 feet back from the table. It was hilarious.

13. valich Registered Senior Member

I've never heard of excess current - even from a lightning bolt! - fracturing someone's bone, so I doubt this is possible. Defibulation? Yes! Certainly a capacitor with a large enough stored-up charge could cause someone to have a heart attack or result in brain damage. But is it possible to have that strong of a stored-up charge in a capacitor from a camera with a 3-12 volt battery??? I've seen people hold spark plug wires in their hand while the engine was running and that's about 20,000 volts - give or take 10,000. The surge goes up your arm to your shoulder, but as long as your healthy enough it doesn't cause defibulation or a heart attack. BUT PLEASE DON'T TRY IT!!!

14. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It's not voltage which kills you when you get an electric shock - it's current.

You can get a shock of 100000 Volts, but if the current is less than about a milliamp, you won't die or have a heart attack. On the other hand, even at relatively low voltages, a few milliamps through your heart can lead to fibrillation.

15. valich Registered Senior Member

Yeh, I know. You mean amperage not current, but still, how are you going to get that many amps out of a camera battery?

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Amperage is current.

The Ampere is the SI unit of electric current.

17. valich Registered Senior Member

You got me on that one. In laymans' terms current is the flow of electric charge and voltage is the power behind that flow, but I see in SI units the definition differs. No offense intended. It seems that voltage is also sometimes informally referred to as amperage by analogy with the term voltage?

18. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

valich: A milliamp is a teeny tiny part of one ampere. Perhaps you are confusedly thinking that a milliamp is a thousand amperes?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  19. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

The devices that input low voltage and output high voltage are called "inverters". These cameras must have an inverter in them to run 3 volts or whatever up to a thousand volts or whatever. I own two stand-alone inverters that charge 50 or 100 volt battery packs from a 12 volt ( or any voltage, for that matter ) car battery. When they raise the voltage considerably, they consume higher amperage from the donor battery.

The original purpose of this thread was to alert us to great danger existing in ubiquitous innocent-looking objects and I certainly applaud it.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  20. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Do you actually believe this crap? the electricity travels so fast that it stays above the skin. And doesn't actually do any harm. Its almost impossible to die, this was probably;y one secluded incident that happened.

P.S I would like to see a source to the article which you are claiming a boy died I don't doubt you I'm just generally curious to read the said article.

21. CANGAS Registered Senior Member

muslim: Contrary to your death possibility theory, a large number of people die every day, many of them without an intention to do so.

22. Muslim Immortal Valued Senior Member

Actually there is a thing called eternal-life however you do have to die first. After you die you get eternal-life.

23. valich Registered Senior Member

Because this is a science forum you should learn to be more precise in what you say and learn to use the scientific method when forming a hypothesis. A milliampere = 1/1000 ampere. Now what are you trying to say? What is your hypothesis or assumption? I fail to see how such a minute amount of amperage can be lethal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.