Shocking number of Flat Earth believers on youtube

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Ultron, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Crcata Registered Senior Member

The flat earthers are the epitome of anti establishment paranoid individuals. The paranoia in thier arguments is absolutely ridiculous.

It seems that something in them makes them need something to fight against. Right now its the round earth theory, but if it wasn't that it would be something else.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

From crcata Post #21
    It seems that something in them makes them need something to fight against. Right now its the round earth theory, but if it wasn't that it would be something else. Asimov once said

zgmc likes this.
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Inherence and Acquisition

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

The map is not the territory, and enlightenment is not the click.

In the United States, we often talk about "anti-science" groups, including diverse sects of Christianity and the Republican Party.

Personally, I think of the Seventh-Day Adventists. Anti-Catholic, quasi-nationalistic, and a community known both for the number of progeny trained up to medical professions and an unhealthy skepticism toward modern medicine.

And we can say what we will about diversity in the community; that's not the point. Neither, technically, are SDAs themselves.

The point is that a bunch of this stuff has been passing unchecked from generation to generation. SDA isn't exactly a huge sect, but throw in LDS, SBC, and the megachurch phenomenon growing over the course of recent decades, as well as massive television and radio networks devoted to disseminating misinformation―again, generally unchecked―and suddenly I don't find it surprising we are in a time of antivax and flat-earth.

Anti-institutionalism, as some have mentioned, is a consideration; anti-institutionalism is, however, as anti-institutionalism does. As with, say, antisocial behavior, the fascinating and vital aspect is the particular manifestation.

To crave empowerment is inherent; the manners and paths by which we pursue it are acquired.

Flat-earth, as I see it, is to rebellion as Boaty McBoatface is to science. That is to say, it's a desperate, pathetic joke whose adherents aren't smart enough to figure out.

Dr_Toad likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr_Toad It's green! Valued Senior Member

I just watched a video on YouTube in which the author said epitome as "epi-tome", not that that is of any significance. Just another symptom.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

We are doomed. The morons won.

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

If I say maybe they're going their own way, ...

... never mind. Some jokes I just don't want to make.