Should Godwin's Law be Applied to Sciforums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CounslerCoffee, May 4, 2004.

?

Should Godwin's Law be Applied to Sciforums?

Poll closed May 29, 2004.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, but the threads should be moved, not closed.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, I like comparing everything to Hitler.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Godwin's Law prov. [Usenet] "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely- recognized codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

Should Godwin's law be applied to sciforums? I don't think it should apply to discussions that start out about Nazi's or Hitler; but discussions that end up being about Nazi's and Hitler. Should mods have the right to close these crap-traps? Or if a Garbage/Rants forum were to be created, could they be moved there?

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Does the implementation of Godwin's Law also include that all discussions about Nazis and Hitler be immediately closed?

Like, what if there is a thread about the impact of Neonazism on modern culture, or something like that -- should such topics be prohibited?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Dear Lord, please spare me from stabbing someone with a fork.

Let me rephrase:

It shouldn't apply to discussions that start out about Nazi's or Hitler.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, what if we started a thread that was about hitler/nazis? wouldn't this law cause problems?
    Anyway, you sound like a bit of a nazi with all these strict laws you are proposing.
    sig heil! lol, am I right folks?

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I am going to kill you! Look, as I said before; if a thread is started about Nazi shit then it should remain, if the thread turns into a discussion about Nazis or Hitler then it should be closed or something. Reading the fucking first post and definition of Godwin's law will tell you this.

I will eat your soul, Dr Lou. And it's not strict unless you're trying to shut people like PM up.

9. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Yeah I get that, but don't you see? We have a history forum now, the story of adolf hitler's rise to power and consequent fall is an interesting one, you can't stop people making threads about hitler and nazis. This proposal is utter madness!

And ahh 'eat my soul'? I suppose you support the gassing of jews too?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

you make me sick.

10. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

*bangs head on desk*
    THIS IS IT! Read this!
    DO NOT CLOSE THREADS THAT START OUT ABOUT NAZIS/HITLER/WHATEVER, CLOSE THE THREADS THAT TURN INTO DISCUSSIONS ABOUT NAZIS/HITLER/WHATEVER!

Jebus Christ on a cross-walk, get it through your fucking head.

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

but what if the thread is about hitler?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I can understand closing the thread at this point, but it generally fun to point out godwin's law and ridicule the offender for a while.

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Look dude, I didn't have time to read that last post, but I will say this;
    Covering up history just because you don't like it is not cool. I don't like hitler, but it happened, we should learn about him and perhaps learn from his mistakes to strive for a better future :tear:
    Just my 2 cents...
    Peace I'm out

haha I'm just fuckin with ya

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

What he's saying is if the thread has nothing to do with nazi's, hitler, yaddah yaddah, and someone uses nazi's as a metaphor for something totally unrelated, then that is godwin's law. It's like saying Atari sucks, they're a bunch of nazi's.

Edit: doh! didn't see the fine print. Sorry.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  14. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Hey, you added that edit AFTER I asked my question.

15. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I didn't. It doesn't show that the post has been edited.

16. water the sea Registered Senior Member

All it took was a clarification, okay?

Now don't bang your dear head on the desk, you'll have bruise, and you can't blame anyone else for having it but yourself. Peace, man. :m:

17. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I honestly understood that from the start. I assumed it would be obvious I was joking.
    Notice the italics on about, straight after coffee clarified what he meant. Its like uber-ironically annoying. No one could be that dumb. And I even do what he obviously has a problem with by comparing him to hitler

Tough crowd...

18. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I know, it's also ironic that I noticed it before you noticed that I noticed. I edited my post to apologize before your last post.

Sorry, man, I'm thick sometimes.

19. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Are there many of these threads already of sciforums?

20. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Yes, Spurious. They are mainly driven to ground by people called Proud_ or Whirl_. I don't want to name names.

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I think that all propaganda threads should be closed immediately. But this is off topic.

My apologies for that...

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The thing I have against moving the thread, is what if the first of the thread actually had some constructive debate. If you move the thread to a rant forum or whatever, you're basically killing it. I guess closing it will do the same, but at least it will be in the appropriate forum and will come up on a search.

23. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

You cannot debate Godwin's Law. If a discussion about oil reserves in Iraq turns into a discussion about Nazi's and oil, then the thread is dead and all posibilities of good discussion have been exhausted. Godwin's Law is a known proven fact.