Should Godwin's Law be Applied to Sciforums?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by CounslerCoffee, May 4, 2004.

?

Should Godwin's Law be Applied to Sciforums?

Poll closed May 29, 2004.
  1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Yes, but the threads should be moved, not closed.

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. No, I like comparing everything to Hitler.

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  1. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

I understand that, but I mean whatever might have been said before it degenerated into chaos. Taking your example of oil reserves in Iraq, there could have been good debate bringing up good points before it turned nasty. So if the thread were moved to another forum, you wouldn't be able to find the thread in a search in the relevant forum. Things could get lost that way.

The only reason to move the thread but not lock it would be to allow the flame war to continue. As you say, nothing useful will result from this, so it would've been better to merely lock the thread and leave it where it was.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

Actually, Godwin's law was never meant to be used as a tool to guage when a thread should be closed. I don't believe threads should be closed when somebody employs the "you are a nazi" tactic, as this then becomes a tool to have threads shut down. Nor do I believe they should be moved (or that a Rants" forum should even exist, actually) because the animosity created by that type of atmosphere would continue to spill back into the regular forums. I've seen happen countless times in the past 25 years. Noooo, the only practical manner in which Godwin's Law can be used is to call attention to the violator's action, allow a brief period of scorn and ridicule by others, and then move on.

Either that, or carve the Law into a granite slab and drop it on the offender's head.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Peace.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

No, Godwin's law should not be employed as a tool to measure, limit, or affect Sciforums threads.

The flip-side, for instance, is misogyny.

Some posters like to call everything cunts. Some posters have a particular distaste for soccer moms. I think that, similarly to those who like to call everything Nazi, the poster's general argument is over if cunts and soccer moms are all they've got in a discussion of economics or gun control, for instance.

And besides, it's just words. Get rid of "Nazi" and people will just say things like, "You're fascist!" when you advise them they're interpreting a sentence wrongly.

The idea of Godwin's law and how people use it within internet discussions are two separate things entirely.

And no, Godwin's law is not a known, proven fact. It's more of a superstition, an observation of the cult.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

By the way, that poll pretty much renders this topic nonviable.

After all, you forgot the, "Yes, I am a Nazi" option.

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I did. Of course, the thread was started as a semi-joke.

9. Hathor Banned Banned

in that case, it is unfortunate that you have to resort to spamming this noble experiment in democracy. you are quite the character.

10. Rappaccini Redoubtable Registered Senior Member

You Nazi...

11. Mr. Chips Banned Banned

"noble experiment in democracy"

For an example see the thread "Edufer" in the site feedback area. Even though Andre tried to hide the reference, the thread was still locked down.

12. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

yeah, but what if the thread was started about Nazis?

and b4 you kill me, yes, that WAS a joke

13. Walker Hard Work! Registered Senior Member

People abuse the evocation of Nazi images as a means of expressing themselves on threads all the time. It sucks, but I think it should be allowed.