Should I take Eastern or Western Civilization classes?

Discussion in 'History' started by Athelwulf, Feb 12, 2007.

?

Which course should I take in the upcoming spring term?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2007.
  1. HST 101.

85.7%
  2. HST 102.

14.3%
  3. HST 103.

28.6%
  4. HST 104.

28.6%
  5. HST 105.

14.3%
  6. HST 106.

28.6%
  7. I don't know.

14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

The local community college offers history classes for both Eastern and Western civilization. Each has three classes which can be taken out of sequence, and there are no prerequisites. So I think it will be possible for me to take a history class in the upcoming spring term, even though I'm not starting college in fall. The thing is, I have to decide which to take: Eastern or Western? I probably could take both at the same time, but I'd rather not. This doesn't mean I won't take the other later on, but I'm talking about making a decision right now for this spring term.

Here are the course descriptions:

I'm only somewhat familiar with the history of Western civilization. If I were looking to improve my understanding in this area, and were also looking for comfortable familiarity, I suppose I would go for HST 101, 102, and 103. but then, I could take the opportunity to take HST 104 and learn about the Middle East first off, because it's a key area of the world nowadays. Then once I took 106, I would understand the Far East better, and that's a key area of the world which might become much more important during my lifetime. It would also be a good complement to my personal study of the Chinese language.

What are your thoughts? I could take any one of these six courses in the upcoming spring term, I think. Which do you think would be most beneficial right now?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sock puppet path GRRRRRRRRRRRR Valued Senior Member

If you are interested in history start at the beginning. I read pretty much only history now (boring habit I know but noone steals my books) and I always find myself getting curious about why things were how they were at any given period. So the timeline of my reading often goes backwards. If youare only semi-interested in history I would take one of the western civ courses (which ever you find most appealing). I think it is best to understand your own roots before delving off into other cultures roots.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. SkinWalker Archaeology / Anthropology Moderator

I wouldn't take 104 without first taking 101. The reason is that the description of 101 includes Mesopotamia & Egypt and this might be necessary to put the subject matter of 104 in perspective.

Generally, I would say take the topics that interest you most. Though it might be interesting to point out that many of the things you might discuss in 105 or 106 will likely be compared or contrasted to Western concepts and historical expectations. So it might be helpful to have early Western history behind you first. If you're taking a class in a Western classroom, it's unlikely you'll be learning Eastern history from an Eastern perspective. Just something to mull over.

Other considerations, of course, are class times, professors, class sizes, etc. Hell, take 'em all

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Chatha big brown was screwed up Registered Senior Member

Athelwulf,
    I see your delimmer. Why not just go in between and take African history, its geographically and politically in the middle. Believe me, with the amount of settlers and nonsettlers that pass through Africa every 1000 years, you are bound to come accross hints of Western and Eastern civilizations.

8. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

You should definately take 101. How can you understand the history of other cultures, when you don't even know your own?

9. Roman Banned Banned

If you were doing even anything in highschool, you probably picked a pretty good idea of your own history. I've found that the higher level western history classes just fill in details.

I recommend taking the upper level classes, as the class size will most likely be smaller.

Most 101s I've taken have like 100 to 300 people in them, and the subject matter is dreadfully simple.

10. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

But what about this:

11. Roman Banned Banned

Missed that.

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

What do I think of Western civilization? I think it would be a very good idea. - Mohandas Gandhi.

- in other words the essence of learning history is to learn western history (particularly 19th/20th century) since it tends to deeply dye all academic dialogues

13. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

I agree with MadAnthonyWayne: Start with the West. It is your culture. One ought to know one's culture before others, specifically as it is truly difficult to grasp another's culture before knowing one's own.

HOwever, I say all six of these classes sound excellently interesting.

14. Roman Banned Banned

I dunno, being raised in your own culture gives you a pretty good grip on it, imo. But I've always been a history buff, so I don't know if knowledge of western history is from my own personal endeavours, or being raised in the west.

15. Prince_James Plutarch (Mickey's Dog) Registered Senior Member

Considering the piss-poor level of historical knowledge in most people, I'd say it requires a good amount of dedication to learn the facts.

When Jay Leno can easily find people who do not know who were the participants of WWII...and Steven Spielberg has made a dozen movies on the subject...

16. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I would be careful of taking a class in a giant hall full of people that will only give you information you could just as easily read. If there's no real interaction then what's the point. You can learn an awful lot from Wikipedia these days. Sure, you'll be tested but that doesn't mean you really understand it or will remember it.

I side with the people who urge you to study ancient history. It tells you a lot about human nature and also the source of much of what's going on today. I would also recommend the Far East. This is such an important region today and most Westerners don't know anything about it. I'd probably recommend the one on the Near East for the same reason.

17. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

Wow, lots of responses. Thanks guys.

Good points.

There's no African history classes available. The options are Eastern and Western.

I don't see why it's absolutely essential to know the history of my side of the world before that of the other side. Perhaps it's a good idea, but still, I wouldn't pass up learning about Eastern civilization solely on the basis of not knowing much about Western civilization.

This is a community college. It has small class sizes.

This is a good point, but this is a small-ish community college, so there aren't any giant halls. I think the teacher-to-student ratio is similar to that of a medium-sized high school.

Thanks.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

It really doesn't matter which of these courses you take. You'll learn something useful in any of them.

Go with what interests you the most.