Should not Humanity be More Important than any god ?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by river, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Just what I said. What part needs explaining?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

Just wondering.

Any way ; the point I'm trying to make , which you seem to know , is that , religion is based on long past stories.

Hence religion the history of religion needs to be more investigated . When we do , we find that religion are not based on gods but based on beings turned into gods.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think we are spiritual creatures by nature. It's reflected in our history. Around the world you will find a spiritual element in possibly every culture, past and present. I sense that you might be hinting something alien may have sparked our spiritual journey. If that were true, I would also need assume that such beings touched multiple cultures in order to have such a far-reaching affect.

Correct me if I am wrong about

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. river

You are correct .

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Where are they now? Why toy with our primitive minds and then leave us to fester in a false notion of spirituality. Give me your take on the idea of extraterrestrial visitation and its impact on humanity. I gather that you might believe it the genesis of our long history with mythology, but what specifically would you point to as a clear sign?

9. river

Don't know ; well they have an ego , people bow down to them ; they were not very mature , at enlil wasn't .

Extraterrestrials have been here for thousands of years ; their impact effects us all to this day .

Clear sign ; religion

10. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

To be honest, river, I have a hard time accepting that idea. I've seen it elsewhere, so I don't think it's new. But I give you credit for giving it some thought and trying to rationalize the concept of religion. I think that if the idea of spirituality had sprouted within one isolated group of people, and then spread out through the world from that one point in history, there might be evidence of some unusual event taking place. But my limited understanding is that the concept of gods and spirits have existed independently throughout many cultures in our history. Many of those old beliefs have died and been replaced by what we now see. I suppose someone could argue that the idea originated with the first settlers, and in fact did spread from one group of people. But how can we be certain?

What do you think? Does the notion have a single source, or is it just a natural state of the human mind to gravitate in that direction?

11. river

What old believes have died ?

12. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I don't want to research ancient practices just to show what you probably already know, that spiritual practices come and go; however, I will offer you a link that should demonstrate the diversity the core idea has generated...

http://www.humanreligions.info/religions.html

13. river

Bowser

We are not getting any where , here .

My point again is that any religion puts the point of their god above Humanity.

14. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

That's is usually the case, but when a god is sacrificed for the benefit of humanity? But to answer your point more directly, if your existence hinged on the ebb and flow of nature, as was the case for our ancestors, wouldn't you respect that force and be dependent on it, maybe even deify it? I can't say for certain, but I suspect that they recognized their precarious position in the world. There were elements that they could not control on their own. The symbiosis between men and their gods is naturally one of power and dependence. If you accept the concept of a superior, intelligent force that can bestow blessing on your life, of course you will place that figure above all else.

Nature can be a real bitch, river, more so when your life is closely tied to it. Again, if the world were to end tomorrow, who would you pray to, humanity or some god?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  15. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Is Humanity more important than God? Well I wouldn't write MORE important, each has their part to play in the scheme of things, it's just difference. Any opponent can be beaten, you must choose the correct weapon. Inherent in every strength is a weakness: when speaking of one-hundred percent potential, a strength of ninety-percent still reveals a ten-percent weakness.

16. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I think that religion is the extension of man's propensity towards spirituality. It's existed throughout our history. I see it in myself. Though I can't explain it, I do try to understand it. I suppose that I have been fortunate in that I was not raised in an environment that pushed any specific religious dogma, which has left open to exploring the subject more broadly. Not everyone has been so fortunate.

Humanity will do what it will do. It seems to function much the same regardless of the deity(s) it worships.

17. wellwisher Banned Banned

God is an ideal, whereas humanity is not ideal, but is composed of a distribution of people from high to low. If you look at the American Presidential election, neither candidate is seen as ideal by half the people. In fact, neither are felt to be optimized and both are felt to be suspect by half the people. Yet, in human terms, one of these two will be the most powerful person on earth, based on the criteria of man. This will be the top of the distribution curve in terms of the power and influence they will have.

Should all the masses limited their ideal; hero concept, to one of these two people, because of their position of highest power, which is very important to humans? Or should they seek an even higher level abstraction; ideal leader? If they do the former, based on prestige of the office of president, the next election cycle can be worse, since the highest level human, based on prestige, can be a beast. If they do the latter; idealize, people will expect their leader to approach the higher level ideal. God sets the bar really high, which is good for everyone, since it forces the top to reach higher.

18. river

Which is because the representives of god did not give the action(s) required by the ritual ; the results of the ritual applied did not equal results.

You don't understand what god symbolized ; it was knowledge back in the ancient past . Given by these god(s) .
    But the god left , abondoned these people and therefore these people were now left to the changes of nature. A Natural change.

Of course to your last statement in your paragrapgh.

Humanity . To your last sentence . god , no , advanced beings , do not care about Humanity , period . They never really have . ( well Enki did ) .

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016