Should Theists Seek Psychotherapy?

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by PsychoticEpisode, Jun 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I didn't assert that.
    Learn to read.

In which case I will assert that you're mentally ill.

Actually the reason I am (now) asserting that you're ill isn't because I don't want to believe in a "spiritual realm", it's because there's no evidence whatsoever of such a realm.
    In other words you're talking about something that doesn't exist as if it were real...

But you should have done, since being "abducted by aliens" is just as ridiculous: no evidence, no reality.

It's not "close minded" or "arrogant" or "mean" - it's called being based in reality.
    If someone were to declare (as I did) that they have invisible elephants living in their bathroom how much credence would you give them? Or that a tiger lived in YOUR house but it hid whenever you went home?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

what physical evidence do you suppose you would find of a spiritual realm if it did in fact exist? do you realize what a nonsensical expectation that would be?

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

which expectation?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Everything I mentioned about telepathy applies to the "spiritual realm".
    Since there's no detectable interaction with what we call reality (none at all) then how do you propose to prove it's anything more than figment of imagination?
    It's not a nonsensical expectation: if it exists then it must interact with us somehow to be provable.
    If it doesn't interact then whether it exists or not is moot since there's no possible way to find out.
    And if it doesn't interact then any "communication" using it also specious.

8. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

This is funny.

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

There's a frickin' word that describes your symptoms in the dictionary as well.

10. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

We are spiritual beings as well. An interaction or communication between spirits would not involve the physical. Though I have seen and felt physical manifestations of spirits at times.

11. rjr6 Devout Theist Registered Senior Member

no to the first.

question for the second part: What if the delusion was that 'american idol' was entertainment?

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Speculation. Unproven. Zero evidence.

So if you've seen and felt manifestations that's NOT (somehow) an interaction?
    It HAS to involve the physical since we are physical beings.

Fail.

13. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You did not receive a telepathic communication, Lori. You have a disorder that requires medical attention. See to it soon.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

We are also spiritual beings. Pass. And I know that if I experienced physical manifestations of spirits it involved a physical response. Duh. That's how I felt it and saw it. It manifested.

15. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Lori...when are you most likely to see God? Is there anything in particular that you are doing or thinking before God appears to you? Do you call for God or does God generally arrive unannounced?

16. phlogistician Banned Banned

People have asked you if God talks to you? Somehow, I doubt that.

So you have told people you work with that you hear voices in your head, and you that you think it's God talking to you? What was their reaction? Were they religious people?

No, I'm saying that, because you are vague in the way you write, here, and you are most likely not much different in speech.

If they were obvious, you'd see what I was trying to do; persuade you to seek the help of a mental healthcare professional and get well.

17. phlogistician Banned Banned

I have had an 'alien abduction' experience. Except I know mine was a dream, despite it being very real at the time. I know this because the whole thing was witnessed by my partner, because I woke her thrashing in my sleep, and heard by other residents of the accommodation I was in, because I screamed when I woke.

My experience was very real to me at the time. I have had previous hypnagogic dreams that were very real too, I was once strangled nearly to death in bed by a dark haired woman, and was so convinced it was real ran around the house looking for her, until I realised, it had been a bad dream.

Had I not had outside perspective, or prone to believe in the fantastic, I may have counted these experiences as real.

This is another reason why I was interested to know if you had a 'life partner', because they may be present when 'God' talks to you, and it would be interesting to know what they see when it happens.

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Wishful thinking,. Speculation. Unfounded.

In which case there was an interaction and it should be provable to science.

19. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

You may not feel like you're doing yourself a favor by seeking professional help, but it would certainly be doing everyone else a favor.

20. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

i don't see god with my eyes. god isn't just some being that pops into your reality like some little fairie buzzing around or something. i don't know what the hell god is, but he seems to be everywhere and the relationship i've had with him has involved communication in a wide variety of means. sometimes it's like a telepathic message, sometimes it's a realization or impression out of nowhere, sometimes it's a movie, or a book, or a song, that speaks to me, sometimes it's a conversation with a person. it's more like a realization that there is meaning in everything that happens (even if you don't know what that meaning is). prolific coincedence that accomplishes things in you. that develops you.

in regards to your other question, it's both. generally, i believe based on my experience, that you have to initiate a relationship with him. otherwise, god can be everywhere and in your face and you're just not going to recognize. i know that i got to a point about 18 years ago, when i sincerely wanted to know the truth about god. if he existed, and what that meant, regardless of what the consequences of that knowledge were for me. and that's when it all started. since then, i consider what's been a relationship between us has changed me for the better. i've learned a lot. most of the time it's accomplished by me taking a look at myself and my intentions. it seems like the more you learn about yourself, the more you know about the world.

21. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I'd like to officially complain about Lori being harassed persecuted by idiots atheists. These are the same people who complain about a sign being taken down, but feel no qualms about demeaning and harassing a person for her beliefs.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What sign ?

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

somehow? you doubt that arbitrarily just because you want to. believe it or not phlog, not everyone on this planet is as close-minded as you are (thank god). lots of people talk about god and what he's accomplished in their lives. since you have a strong tendency to shun these people and make fun of them and such, i doubt they want to talk to you either.

i'm not the only one phlog. lots of people hear god's voice. have you ever read the bible? that's practically what the whole book's about...people hearing god's voice and it changing their lives. even people that don't have that kind of relationship with god, or that don't even believe in god, don't react to me like some of you neandrothals out here. it's called common courtesy and respect. not everyone's an asshole. some are religious, and some are not.

what the fuck do you want to know...specifically? it's not that i'm being vague, you just don't like my answers and can't relate because you think of everything in terms of objectifiable physical things. you have no spiritual experiences to relate to, so what i'm saying makes no sense to you. god is not a person. god is not an object. god is not even a being. as far as i can tell god is much more than that.

yes, i'm sure you care about me very deeply, saint phlog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.