Should We Be Vegetarians?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Joeman, Jul 11, 2002.

1. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Yay or Nay?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Aussie Registered Member

Hi Joeman

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Nay .. for sure

I dont believe that the amount of activity, so many of us undertake, could possibly be fueled by a couple of celery sticks and bean mashes! oh, and I lovvve chicken curries

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

First, you can, in fact, be perfectly healthy and have enough energy on a veggie diet. All you have to do is make sure you eat plant matter that contains high amounts of proteins. There are some that contain greater concentrations of protein than meat.

Second, I personally have no desire to give up meat. I like it. I crave it. I have teeth in the front of my mouth specifically designed to shred flesh.

Here's a radical idea. Why don't the people that want to eat just vegetables do that, with no harassment from lowbrow insecure meat eaters, and why don't the meat eaters do their thing, with no harassment from pretentious holier than thou vegans?

The question is not should we become vegetarian, the question is should you become vegetarian.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Just a point to add - some people can't be full vegetarians. There are people who are unable to exist solely on the proteins found in greens and beans.

8. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Why would anyone not want to eat meat?

Humans used to be hunter gatherers. We ate what we could find. This was usually a variations of meats and berries and other things. It's still a fact, now more than ever, that humans need meat as part of their diet to live long and healthy lives. You should eat way more grains and fruits/vegetables, than meat. Ofcoarse, people become unhealthy when they start to eat more meat than anything.

I don't think we should give up meat. I think we should eat less of it to lower our body fat percentages and stuff. Meat cells pack twice as much a punch than plant cells, so obviously, they're harder to digest, and fatten you up a lot more. That's not to say excess fat isn't good.....until you become too overweight.

Now, if your planning on cutting meat completely out of your diet, than you're either a mentally retarded chimp, or a bleeding heart European (basically someone who has bad teeth and smells funny.)

9. lixluke Refined Reinvention Valued Senior Member

me

TOTAL AND ABSOLUTE YAY!

I am the biggest wannabe vegetarian.
    I started my life eating nothing but complete junk.
    I hated vegetables. There was nothing that mom or anyone could do to make me eat them.
    I would go for months without eating any fruits or veggies. There is only one word for this type of behavior: Suicide.
    After deep deep studies on nutrition and the human body, I uncovered some serious findings about meat and milk that would blow most people away.
    It changed my entire outlook on what I eat.
    Now I am on my way to becoming one of those total vegans.
    I haven’t been able to get myself to change completely, but I am much more serious about putting better things in my body.
    I changed from having no vegetables or fruits each day to having a little bit of vegetables.
    Then, I changed to my current diet which is mostly fruits and veggies now.
    My next step is to let go of all the junk that I completely craved growing up.

I don’t have time now to back up what I am saying.
    For those of you who would like my logical proof behind these statements can let me know.

In due time, I hope to show reasonable proof to you all for my following premises:
    *Why the largest most energetic land animals are herbivores.
    *Why cows milk does nothing but total harm to the human body.
    *Why you should pay no real attention to your protein intake.
    *Why meat does nothing but harm your body, and why uric acid in meat (cellular waste product that comes out of all animal cells. aka cellular shit) should be completely avoided.
    *Why humans with the longest life spans also happen to be the humans who eat the least (for example eating meal per day).
    *Why heart disease and cancer directly due to eating habits are by far the number one cause of death in America.
    *Why the US government including the FDA does not tighten it’s standards despite knowledge of these truths.
    *Why social proof (when human beings accept premises based on the common social norms in their environment such as the current food pyramid) is the most powerful way to influence human behavior.
    *Why being different than the crowd, and changing your behavior that has been accepted as normal for thousands of years will make you healthier and happier.
    *Why even most experts and doctors are influenced by social proof, and don’t know these truths, but lately are beginning to become more aware.

If you don’t think I’m being completely serious here, CHECK THE GRAMMAR!

10. Northwind Master of Anvils Registered Senior Member

Remember those lowbrow insecure meat eaters I mentioned?

Why would you say something like this? Why do you care what someone else eats? Retarded chimp? I find it incredible that you could be so insecure about your personal choices that you have to insult people simply because they want to subsist on vegetables. Ass.

11. ~The_Chosen~ Registered Senior Member

Re: me

LMAO!!

No way, MEAT RULES - you need that protein for weight lifting...and for firm muscles...

12. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Coolskill, nicest post from you so far. I knew I shouldn't put you on ignore list and I am glad I didn't. (although I was really joking) I am going to copy it down and store it.

I am thinking about becoming a vegetarian. My family members are all vegetarians. I know the myth of not having enough nutrition is totally false. I don't even consider that as a reason. My dad is very muscular and fat. My mom is not fat but she is getting there. There are lots of food you can get protein from. You can buy a book called "vegetarian's handbook" It teaches you to eat properly. Vegetable stir fries are tasty. When I go to my parents' house, I don't miss eating meat at all.

One of my reason is I don't think we should exploit animals. Animals can feel just like us. They can feel pain and discomfort. Locking them up in cages and exploit their meat and fur is a terrible thing to do.

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Yeah, humans used to be barbarians but now we are capable of being much more.

I don't think so. If I am retarded I wouldn't even think about becoming a vegetarian.

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

Joeman:

Awwww! That's sweet. It's quite - interesting - that you feel that way.

(God, Erin's gonna kill you if you start talking like that.

)

Anyways, I don't eat much anyway. At least not at the moment. But I do like a steak or Chilean sea bass now and then. And shrimp cocktails. And vindaloo.

15. 765 Registered Member

My vote is NO, not me.

I too enjoy a good steak or ham very often.

If you want to be a Vegan that is your right.

Joeman
    One thing that is never considered by those who advocate that no one should be allowed to eat meat is that if that ever became the case more than 50% of the world's population would starve.

There is not enough aridable land on the whole plant to feed 6 billion people on a strictly vegaterain diet without cutting down every forest on earth and even then it is doubtful.

Presently 75% of all corn, 80% of all Soy beans and nearly 100% of all wheat grown in the U.S. is used to feed people directly. The remainder is used for animal feed.

Personally I dislike greatly the way that cattle, hogs, chickens and such are raised in commercial farming. I find it inhumane and cruel as well as unhealthy both for the animal and for those who eat their meat.

(BTW I am a part time farmer in Indiana)

But since I do like to eat meat, I have decided to raise animals on my terms.

I raise mainly hogs, I keep them completely outdoors where they get lots of fresh air, sunshine and exercise. They are not feed any theripudic antibiotics or growth hormones.
    And they are treated as friends. They love to have their bellies rubbed, my children play tag with them and squirt them with water on hot days.
    It pains me greatly the day that they are sent to the butcher but that is why I got them in the first place.

The same goes for our Jersey steer, he is like an 1100 pound puppy dog with horns. He will follow you like one, he even likes to play with a ball and have his ears stratched.
    But soon he will leave his pasture and enter our freezer.

You may feel that this is still cruel but I feel that my animals have led a happier and healthier life than those on a big farm, and they probably lived longer too.
    I also know that because of this, my children will be healthier without all that crap that is in store bought meat.

Pass the steak sauce please!!!

16. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Great topic. I have so much to say about his, but right now I must rush. Later...

17. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

I had the best steak ever last night. It surprised me because it was at the base chow hall

. With a shrimp cocktail, steamed carrots, and a peice of corn on the cob, apple pie fo rdessert, it was heaven.

18. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies to anyone who felt insulted by my previous post. I ment by saying those things, that you would be foolish to consider not eating meat only because it hurts the animals, not your diet, and consequently life. Maybe it sounded a bit harsh when I called you people retarted chimps. I get really annoyed by some of the lifestyles of hypocritical vegans and anarchists type people (not saying you're all anarchists

)

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a big juicy animal to cook.........

19. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Elbaz, your post is not insulting if it makes perfect sense. (but it doesn't) I never consider the truth or sound logic to be insulting. (none of your post have that)

I can't see why vegetarian diet can hurt my own health. I can't see why I am hypocritical.

I believe people evolve biologically, but we must evolve ethically as well. Colonialism used to be acceptable in 18th and early 19th century, but not today. People's moral standards continue to raise.

I don't expect people to agree with me in this issue, and I am not converting anyone into a vegetarian. I just want to hear some thoughtful, logic responses here. I do thank Elbaz for representing his end of the spectrum.

20. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

If you don't say anything now you are going to run out of new things to say pretty soon

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

gimme a medium baked stake and I'll bow before you in all the honour

22. Xenu BBS Whore Registered Senior Member

Some people are talking about how we are genetically made to eat meat. This might be partially true, but I've also heard that humans lack an enzyme in their stomachs to digest raw meat. This is why humans have to cook their meat. Anybody else hear of this?

Meat is economically wasteful. For every pound of meat you get from a cow you must feed it 12 (or is it 16? I don't remember) pounds of grains etc. (grazing not included in this figure). To feed all of the cows that the US consumes it takes up huge chunks of land. In order to do this efficently, this takes pesticides.

Are you worried about pesticides in fruits and vegetables? You should be worried about pesticides in your meat. Remember the 12:1 ratio figure, that applies to pesticides too. For every 12 pounds of pesticidal grain consumed, the pesticides get concentrated into that one pound of beef. Ummm, yummy.

Diet for a New America, by John Robbins has many "facts" about meat. Many of these areas have been retested since the printing, some evidence show that conditions are better then the first group of evidence some show conditions are worse.

23. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Most of the meat we eat is economically wasteful. There is a lot of land that can't support farming, but can support grazing. To make this land produce in this way is economically practical.