Should We Be Vegetarians?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Joeman, Jul 11, 2002.

1. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

As pointless as sharing that was it made me giggle. hehe!

Is it worth commenting on...hmmm, probably not. If you seriously think that (I have met one person in my life who said something similar, but wasn't just being an ass, he actually meant it) then give an actual argument.

Funny, thats why I started.

I don't understand why you are wasting your time arguing all these non points(humans being 'designed' for anything at all), and sharing the philosophy of the paleo diet. That site is a complete waste of time. Show me something that says I require meat, in this day and age, please. Thats the only way your gonna show me my diet choice is not right for me. Everything else has been argued to death and is a waste of time.

I also get the feeling your not reading most of the posts, but just typing to hear your own voice(I mean keyboard). While I appreciate your posts and your inputs, it would be nice if they didn't repeat old posts and if they commented on new thoughts.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Retort it all you want, it won't change my family history. I wasn't saying everyone should share our ways, just commenting on my own family.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

I had a gr-grandfather that smoked till he was 98, smoking is good for you.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

8. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

I had to retort it because a lot of people feel that way. It's a big attack on anyone that has any concern for their health or diet, whether thats being a vegetarian, or avoiding trans-fats, whatever. " But my granny lived to blah blah and she ate blah blah every single morning. " I'm not trying to attack you or anything, I just don't want people to think that is a viable reason to avoid considering what you eat.

9. Captain_Crunch Club Ninja Valued Senior Member

mmmmmmmmmm porkchops.

10. Deepuz Registered Senior Member

NOTBACON

What gets me is the soya / quorn products that are made to look like meat products. LMAO. What's the point? I mean, NotBacon, WTF?

11. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

They are made to look and taste like meat products, and provide the same nutrition, so that people who likes the taste of meat can still enjoy it, without killing anybody. It's like ethical meat.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Of course, they could have made it look like something different , but what would that be?

12. Deepuz Registered Senior Member

But, if for ethical or health reasons you want to avoid meat, why would you want to substitute it with something that pretends (in shape form and taste) to be that product? Why do people still crave that association?

13. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

Because thats all you have eaten your whole life

What kind of answer are you digging for or trying to imply?

It's called...dum dum dum..FAMILIARITY!

oh that reminds me, ever seen those aids to quit smoking that LOOK like cigarettes. They are these silly looking plastics things that when you inhale on them they give you a dose of nicotene. Apply whatever argument you were trying to imply to this.

14. le coq Registered Senior Member

Thanks for your appreciation... I think. I apologize if I've taken up some bandwidth to run off at the mouth about this. I've done quite a bit of cogitating and ruminating and I guess I was just so darn excited to put it into argument somewheres.

I was trying to counter the "design" points because they were brought up. I thought I explicitly said that I do not share the philosophy of the paleo diet. I like the idea that it tries to come at it from a scientific point of view, but even the evolution arguments, or basing our diet on what we may have done thousands of years ago has its limits. In all I was trying to counter ethical arguments from supporting scientific ones, and vice versa.

No, I don't think you need meat, in this day and age, to live healthy enough to enjoy life. With all the supplements available, you can avoid animal products, and get just about all of what you need. You won't get scurvy and will live just as long as anyone else. I would agree with an earlier poster that it is most likely not optimal, though. And not nearly as tasty.

Can you provide more detail on how the refererred site is a "complete waste of time"? Or is it that you just don't agree with it, but are not sure why? The "six scenarios" article is, I agree, a little flippant and generalized, and that probably colored your view of all other information there.

John Le Coq

15. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

haha, well I have to admit I never much enjoyed the taste of meat. But I also always thought vegetarians were inane weirdos. I would read the 'propaganda' about animal farms and say, well what the fk do you think happens, of course they have to die! But anyways...

yes, it did color my view, along with about 3 or 4 other articles I read. What can I say, I was highly put off. I don't know why anymore because I forgot what I read. I don't feel like going back to it.

To be honost we share damn near the same philosophy on this. We started for very similar reason and also I have deeply considred many of the same things you have brought up that made you stop being a vegan, we just came to slightly different conclusions on those considerations.

I think it is superb that your are a conscientious consumer because that is such an incredibly important thing in this day and age. I have a high respect for you and appreciated the debate. I think I'll just leave it at that.

16. Deepuz Registered Senior Member

So with the cigarette analogy you are implying that there is a comfort in familiarity, craving factor, an addiction of sorts? I want to know why some vegetarians aren't happy with vegetables that look, taste and behave like vegetables. Why dress it up as meat? I'm not trying to imply anything. I'm trying to understand the psychology involved here, because it seems strange to me.

17. lotuseatsvipers CloseMindedBob Registered Senior Member

Smokers are used to sticking things in there mouth, therefor a patch just won't cut it. Its familiarity, thats the analogy.

Well imagine this. You are a meat and potatoes type of guy. You have a heart attack, and your doctor reccomends giving up red meat. What do you do? Well you go through your grocer's freezer and you find something familiar. You think the person im talking of generically is gonna reach for a block of white squishy bean curd (tofu), my experience is that tofu is a cuss word with a lot of meat eaters (not sure why, its in lots of things they eat anyways, they just don't know it).

On the whole I am fairly confused at what you are questioning. You probably eat pringles that taste like pizza, or (insert any food flavored like something its not). People grew up with the taste of meat, and some people really enjoy that taste. Vegetarian alternatives that still taste like the real deal are catalysts for these people. Other people who quiet enjoy a block of tofu, use these 'grocery' alternatives as convience foods (well I'll speak for myself). I never ate hot dogs before I was a vegetarian, yet now about twice a month I eat a 'tofu-dog'. It is convenient, and about one of the only convience foods you can get from the grocery as a vegetarian. And no, I don't like to eat salad four times a day, yes that is a conveinent food.

Plus these foods are packed with protien, and just a good all around alternative. What would YOU have them taste like, being familiar and having grown up around an american diet? seriously.

Maybe the asian cultures that grew up with tofu don't have things like this. My strong assumption is they don't, but I really don't know.

Also, let's say your at a baseball game and everyones getting a hot dog, does one really want to stick out and look like a freak. Especially with the gaining popularity of vegetariansm there are a lot of 'normal' people who like to appear 'normal' so a veggie dog is to them a very great thing.

I'm not sure I can explain anymore than this. Need any more clarifications. I really do find your question odd.

18. Andrew111 Registered Senior Member

yes we should eat meat

19. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

You can have mine any time

20. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Personally, I became a vegetarian for ethical reasons only, the positive effects it had on my health was a happy surprise.
    I still like the taste and texture of meat, that's why I gladly enjoy eating qourn. Another positive health aspect is that it doesn't have stresshormons deriving from death angst of the animal, like real meat has.
    Unless mushrooms can produce that feeling.

21. kmguru Staff Member

Yes, there is overwhelming evidence that most South Indian Computer consultants are vegetarians and they basically run the computer system of USA (as well as doctors). If a career in computer system is corelated with smartness, then being vegetarian might make you smart.

That could be bad.....

22. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

So why is Cow milk bad for humans? I have never heard of that before.

23. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

The theory behind milk being bad for you stems form the fact that you are not two months old, and you don't need some of the things in it. But then if you look at it, there's alot of stuff we eat that contains sutff we don't need.