Should we care about the life of an ant?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Why?, Sep 21, 2007.

1. divine sapience Registered Senior Member

i think that it is your intent that matters.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

It can be debated whether that is a moral lesson or not, I think it is. It's disturbing how you compare killing animals for the fun of it with farting in public though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Wow... 360 eh ?
    I never said you can't help animals.. I only said that IT IS WRONG TO PURPOSELY HURT OR KILL ANIMALS FOR THE FUN OF IT
    Get that through your thick skull please ! :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Exactly

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. maxg Registered Senior Member

9. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ok, fair.

I'm sorry !?

Where did you get that ?
    I doubt you know what I mean. All I have been saying is that it's wrong to hurt or kill an animal for the fun of it. I really don't get how anyone can disagree with this.. :shrug:

Developing a moral system ? Reciprocity ? "Divinely" sanctioned moral code ?
    I can repeat myself again but it gets tiresome.. I did not ever mean anything other then what I have said.
    I don't know what you mean by that last comparison but I don't really care.

10. Thrix Registered Member

Someone asked me if I think humans should be crushed as ants can. I'll be perfectly honest. If humans were the size of ants and I were still big, I'd probably crush people as though I would ants. I don't believe in religion and I don't believe in a morality. I believe in power, dominance, and pleasure. If there were no consequences to my actions, and I don't believe there would be, I would do whatever I want. Seeing insignificantly tiny humans running around my feet would feel pretty empowering, and it would be an intoxicating power trip to slowly step on them for fun. One man's feet being the apocalypse to an entire civilization is cool and ego-tripping.

What moral obligation should hold me back from doing as I please?

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You mean like Hitler did ?

12. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

Wow, I hope that you never hold any political office.

13. Thrix Registered Member

Don't worry about it. I'm just someone who believes humans should be all that they can be. I think it is the right of the strong to dominate the weak -- after all, that's the natural order of things. That's how things work in nature. Humans are that way too. This human society we have built is just a veneer upon that nature and it's never going away. I don't see any reason to make it go away either. Nature dictates that the stronger beings will and should exercise power over the weak for their personal empowerment. In reality, I am a tall, slim, athletic 25-year old guy. I make fun of fat people and short people. I'm exercising my superiority over them. I believe I am within my rights in doing so. That is my logic. I'm also something of a Hegelian in that I believe everyone deep down inside wishes to see themselves as God.

And following that logic if every human were the size of ants compared to me, it would be my self-determined right of strength and power to squash people beneath my feet for gratification if I wanted. Which I would. I would also do a lot of other cruel things with my size to fuel my ego and assert my power. Being God among ants is one thing, but being a God among other intelligent life is more gratifying than anything else.

Anyway, that'll never happen, so don't worry. But maybe now you'll see why a lot of people have no compunction against stepping on ants -- because we're bigger, we can, and we don't care. I think what I have said here is the same logic that the OP "Why" has too.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. Thrix Registered Member

By the way, to the person who said aliens are much more advanced than us: probably just technologically, but if aliens existed they would share the same arrogance and self-importance that exists in all life. If a race of 2,000 foot tall aliens came to this planet to scope it out, they would probably arbitrarily crush our cities beneath their feet as we do anthills. They would assume that their massive size makes them superior to us insignificant, pathetic beings and just squash us for fun.

That's how the world works. I can't blame them. If I were to likewise come across a world where I'm 2,000 feet tall compared to its inhabitants, I would step on them for fun too, aware that I would be casually ending lives en masse for my personal amusement. My superior size over them would justify my exertion of power. That's the nature of life.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  15. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I know why some people like to step on ants, and they are dumb idiots for it.
    But you really take the cake here..

16. Enmos Valued Senior Member

You are pathetic..