Should we have Democracy...?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Spectrum, Apr 21, 2009.

?

Should we have democracy...?

1. YES!

71.4%
  2. IF YOU DO NOT WANT DEMOCRACY THEN DO NOT VOTE.

28.6%
  1. Spectrum Registered Senior Member

How can we answer this question unless we vote? Should NO-ONE vote, then we should not have democracy...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bishadi Banned Banned

democracy is good, when given to the people to choose

'we the people' lost our rights to the media

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. jps Valued Senior Member

I think from an individual perspective, the only thing better than democracy is a monarchy ruled by the individual. That not being an option(for most people) democracy is certainly preferred to a monarchy run by someone else.

As your quote suggests, what exactly comprises a functioning democracy is a more difficult question.

Here are just a few considerations:

•Is it just a matter of having elections?
    •Who needs to be allowed to vote, everyone, just adults, just citizens, just the educated?
    •What do people vote on, individual laws or leaders?
    •How often do you have elections?
    •Would electing a dictator-for-life, and not holding another election until his or her death be a democratic system?
    •Does democracy require a level of knowledge among voters?
    •Who decides what knowledge they need?
    •Can you have a democracy if in your election one candidate is limited to driving around with a megaphone, and another controls all media?
    •Does a democracy require exactly equal access to the populace and thus the media?
    •If a majority votes to disenfranchise a minority, is this democracy in action, or the end of a democracy?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bishadi Banned Banned

No
    each equally wishing a voice

both
    Ask the people
    not to me as many would like a single person they could trust, but since power is often what corrupts; then restrictions must be kept in place. (ie... the US lost their capacity to do this because the media has blinded what people are aware of)
    not really, but knowledge and education is why many even join a society
    Nature
    the rules of nature should rule mankinds choices.

'life: purposed to continue"
    to me, leaders should be born within the people, not the media; so each area should have someone speak on behalf of each area. The difference should be in 'responsibility' as if any mislead or misrepresent their constituents; then the people should share in the destruction of that persons existence.

ie.... misrepresent yourself; you live in the consequences
    misrepresent a populous and be torn to shreads

case closed!
    you bet........ as the media is for NO bias, such that if there are 2 sides to an argument, then let the people know and decide for themselves; the media has no right to tell us what to believe

and again; misrepresent others based on selfishness; and be destroyed

there is no minority unless a divide is created; address the divide and remove minorities

if the divide is based on selfishness (like believing you chosen-ones over others).......... then let em burn! (wiped off the map)

to me democracy is bound in honesty and representing people is a contribution to mankind; not a method of placing an agenda because of divides between people.

republican/democratic differences are for the birds

as in each within the USA, the invisible hand (capitalism) is the underlying boss, and that is misrepresenting 'we the people'...............

8. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

We the people never had those rights.

9. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

====

10. Bishadi Banned Banned

folks, we found someone living in a box!

do you realize half of what is occurring right now in the middle east is based on stone-cold fibs?

oil?

energy?

religion?

water boarding?

Seems to me the orignal terrorist of the middle east are the folks we are supporting.

Heck, the guy Rahm Emmanuel, his father is a bonafide documented terrorist.

And a cousin of the brother of the limo driver's dog, pissed on the same sidewalk that Osama walked on, and he is labeled a terrorist; when we have the son of a real one as the chief of staff in the white house.

So perhaps if you put on sun glasses and left the closet once in a while you might not be so blinded by seeing reality at face value.

Democracy is the best but a rule should be put in place; misrepresent yourself and live with the consequences, misrepresent others and you responsible to them. (not for them, but to them)

meaning if my leaders misrepresent me; i own their life!

leading people is not nor should have ever been observed as 'i am a leader and my opinion is what they want" but that 'i represent them people, and what they want is what i represent'

'we the people' are who should be running this show, not the leaders and the media is who created this divide.

he who owns both the media and the political front are who wins in today's democracies.

(the invisible hand)

11. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

What's the saying...

Democracy is the worst form of government... it's just better than all the others...

Or somesuch...

In an ideal world true communism would be the best, without the aristocracy of the ruling class, however there is no such ideal world available. Humanity spoils everything it touches, is inherently corrupt, destructive, and generally fond of injustice. Perhaps a better question would be "Should humans be allowed self-rule of any kind?"

"Democracy" as we are familiar with, allows us to spread the corruption evenly across a number of people in our governmental bureaucracy. Right now, in the US, our democratically elected leaders are dismantling the value of citizenship by affording rights to non-citizens. They can do this because we live in a republic. We have the tech to form a true Athenian style democracy, perhaps that is what should be done.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Yes.

Look who's talking about seeing reality. I don't know where you get these absurd assumptions about me. Not from my post you quoted.

I bet you don't know what democracy means.

The media is part of the problem but they did not create it.

Grow up.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2009