Should we take Ray Comfort Serious? If no, what not?

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Jan Ardena, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Jan here is a link to Rays store where he sells stuff.
    https://store.vision.org.au/ray-comfort/cid-63

There are some tempting items..lots of God stuff... I notice he references himself as the banana man...once if someone called someone a banana man it met he was "bent" meaning he was crooked. Thank goodness that has passed so Ray can do his banana thing without being labelled bent.
    Ray is a nice chap ex NZ and he has a following, overheads etc. and he seems to have an intelligent business plan ...working a big market..
    Religion USA...gets and seeks plenty of exposure, as you must do in sales...just like the video it all helps get people into the shop...yes a good businesman.
    Alex

Alex

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I didn’t say you did.

It’s right to see design in nature.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I think so too, and I appreciate that about you, even though you don’t agree with him.
    It shows you have character.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I said it is a pity people like him, not him you may notice....
    What like a 4wd in the bush?

Alex

8. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Okay.
    ???

9. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I find him very likeable and he probably has similar views to me but clearly with his sales business he has to push the God story...and even if he actually believes it doesn't worry me...I looked up his net worth...between $100,000.and one million which is not much really so assuming he isn't hiding cash that is not a large amount indicative that he is probably honest...he is around my age but still working which is a shame..
    Alex

10. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

I bet he doesn’t see it as work (labour).

11. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

The bush represents nature...4wd is a vehicle one drives in the bush...the design of a 4wd is clever...intelligent even...so it supports your proposition that you can see intelligent design in nature...just being supportive Jan.
    Alex

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

How much do you wish to bet and will you offer me odds?

I guess you think that he would think he is doing God's work ( an aside..my spell checker now corrects my little god to capitals..do you think that is a sign?)..maybe he does think that..heck God can do anything you could think he would do his own work...
    Anyways it is a shame that at his age he can't retire...he ought to go back to NZ as he would probably get the old age pension and enjoy life.
    Alex

13. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

Evolution is a fairy tale as JC and the Bible is well documented history.

14. Beer w/Straw Transcendental Ignorance! Valued Senior Member

But whatever.

First off, do you think it is appropriate to make a comparison that preachers are like firefighters, Jan?

15. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Because he lies and profits from Jesus. Do you think it is acceptable to lie and profit from Jesus? In Ray's own words...

"Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" Why not say — as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as some claim that we say — "Let us do evil that good may result?" Their condemnation is deserved."

Ray is seriously fucked up.

16. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

I have no idea how Dawkins supposedly "made atheism look bad". I have never read a word by Dawkins.

17. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

It depends upon what it is you’re trying to convey. As a metaphor, I see no problem with it.

18. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Where did he “lie” in that video?
    As for making a profit. What is wrong with that?

19. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

It quite strange (to me) that you have never read Dawkins. Is there any particular reason for that, or have never gotten round to it??

20. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

There are thousands of books I have never read. Why would I read Dawkins in particular?

21. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

We weren’t discussing history.
    We’re we?
    But if we are, JC like a$$.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

I don't know Alex, selling deception and lies to the gullible doesn't seem very ethical or moral. Anyone can do that, but most have a conscience.

23. Jan Ardena OM!!! Valued Senior Member

Because he is the most popular atheist of his generation, and has put atheism on the map.
    He’s quite brilliant , in that regard.