Shows about time travel

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by arfa brane, Apr 9, 2018.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I read the book and saw the film (at least, I think I saw the film).

I did not like either. I saw increasingly lazy writing from Crichton over his career. Or maybe familiarity breeds contempt. I've read every one of his books.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, and if you interfere with that past a deterministic new you as well, who may never get back to the original U and self. Your own past is destroyed and with it the you, you were, all this time before you traveled "back" in time.

There are only two ways to travel back in time. Linearly or dimensionally
    But any interference with the past will create a paradox in your present, either way.

If I change the past, I change myself. Remember the saying; "If I could do it all over again".
    You can't, ever....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Correct. Once you go there, you can;t get back.

It's not destroyed; its just not available to you anymore.

I would be stuck in 1968 (unless I went into cryosleep for 50 years. I would awake in 2018, but it would not be the same 2018 I left).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Actually when you return to the future you would simply be an observer because it's a different timeline.

8. Write4U Valued Senior Member

It just occurred to me that the time traveler may not actually does or even can travel in space while travelling through the time dimension. He stays stationary at the space coordinate, but only changes the time coordinate, no?

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

What does it mean to "stay stationary at a space coordinate"?

Stationary, like motion, is entirely relative to the reference you choose. How does your machine know that?

Also: what the hell? It's 3:45AM. Go to bed!

10. Write4U Valued Senior Member

We're talking time travel , not space travel, no?

I meant that the time machine is part of the earth's gravitational influence. The machine does not travel spatially relative to the earth. It is stationary in relation to earth.
    They both move through space bound by gravity. The machine just travels to a different time frame in its spatially fixed coordinate on earth.

You never leave earth. You cannot ever leave earth in a time machine and end up somewhere in the past floating in space.

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Is there a problem with the different time frame in its spatially fixed coordinate on earth being filled with, at the very least, air?

12. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Some maintain that time does not exist. I contend we have TIME simply because we have not yet died, therefore time flows in reverse, and death is neccessary for the existence of time.

13. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Or, Michael345, a fly?

14. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Certain atoms might meld to produce a human body with fly head and a fly with human head

From memory wasn't the fly inside the machine?

Just checked - machine was a teleportation device, not time travel, but no reason could not happen with a time travel machine

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0091064/

1998 version

15. Write4U Valued Senior Member

I'm not getting into details..lol. Conceivably the time machine could be outfitted with oxygen tanks...

....like scuba divers.

But I see no special problem with the earth's environment 60000 years ago. Humans already roamed the earth. With a little luck the time machine might materialize 60000 in the past and the block where your house will be, the center of a village where they would welcome you and feed you, or just kill you and use your machine as the golden throne of the chieftain ....or just throw it and you in the nearby lake....

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Understood but my concern was more about the air atoms (I was here first) fighting with the time machine and persons body atoms (make way for us) atoms

17. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Yes, superposition might well become a real problem. 60000 years of time coordinates piling up in one spatial coordinate. Although each moment backwards would just dissemble the environment from all changes during the 60000 years before your time frame.
    Would it affect atomic distribution, no doubt. You might stop inside a giant sandstone boulder.
    The end.....

18. TheFrogger Banned Valued Senior Member

Your traversal into the past would not change it. All that would happen is that you would discover it was YOU who committed those deeds, then. ☺

19. Gawdzilla Sama Valued Senior Member

So far as we can tell right now, anyway.

20. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

How does the time machine know where Earth was 46 years, 3 months, 12 days, 4 hours, 23 minutes and 11 seconds ago?

Space time doesn't divided neatly into space and time. Any more than space is divided neatly into X, Y and Z.
    Try flying in only one axis, say, X. No motion in Y or Z.
    You immediately realize that X, Y and Z are entirely arbitrary. Any movement is necessarily through all three of our spatial dimensions, because our universe does not have axis labels.

And the same is true for time is space time. There is no motion "only" in time. You are always moving through 4 axes: x, y, z and t.

21. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

I'm not with Write on this although it puts a heavy strain on Huey Dewey Louie to consider how it might be done

Any time machine worth its salt must by necessity speed up the whole Universe time wise
    Actually that solves the appearing in a occupied location problem
    So you speed up the Universe and arrive 20 years in the future
    Get out. Look around. Pick up a beer mat. Go back to machine. Slow the Universe down below normal time speed until you reach your take off time

Simple concept but totally wacky

TIME DOES NOT EXIST
    HAS NO SPEED

But perhaps those with a talent for making Time Travel shows can work the idea into the dialogue

No charge, but a credit line at the end of show would be nice

Write4U likes this.
  22. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

On Star Trek, the transporters could move you from point A to point B (x,y,z coordinates) whether there was another transporter at point B or not. On Stargate, they needed a stargate at both ends. On Sliders, they had a device that told then when (t coordinate) a wormhole would pop open at a certain point (x,y,z coordinates). In The Time Machine, Rod Taylor had to take his time machine with him in space.

The (fictional) physics seems to have some flexibility.

23. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Does it need to know? No matter where you start your travel, deterministically the time machine will be built on earth where you departed from, in the traveller's garage. If you travel back in time, your future spacetime coordinate is already fixed. Travelling forward into the future may present a real problem with as yet probabilistic spacetime coordinates of everything in the future.

I doubt if one could actually program a "time of arrival" with time-travel, but we know the original space coordinate on earth. It remains unchanged relative to earth.
    Just hop in, turn the time dial, sit back and hope your garage was not a sacrificial altar in the past.
    ====================================
    But as someone already mentioned, IMO, a traveller, being in a different time dimension, would be unable to physically affect the past. He could only be an observer, until he returned to his original spacetime coordinate and synchronization of both dimensions.

It would be critical for the time machine to return to the precise time coordinate you started from + away time. A quality time machine should be able to do that at minimum...