Silenus -- Why??

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by Sciencelovah, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

But he ooofffeennnndddsssss people.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gustav Banned Banned

all participants should have faced some disciplinary action. that includes me.
    it was a fucking disgrace

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Gustav Banned Banned

this is sci
    allusions have never cut in here
    talk specifics or dont talk at all

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

I haven't seen much if it, but from what I did see -

He assumes the position of authority, he speaks with confidence. Even though much of what he says is old, obvious or bland.

He enthralls because the audience wants to be enthralled. He knows the appeal that submitting to authority has, and that many -if not most- people seek to submit to some authority so that they can feel that good feeling of losing themselves.

Not to forget that he is borrowing Hannibal Lecter's appeal, and even if only borrowed, it works like a charm.

Engaging with someone like him can be a good test to see what a shithole one's own mind can be, to see how ready one is to indulge in whoring oneself in every way, and how ready one is to squander time, time that can never be reclaimed and is lost forever.

My, how readily we do as if our lives don't matter to us, how readily we reduce ourselves.

8. Gustav Banned Banned

one dimensional and infantile reasoning. is the act of being offended somehow irrational? can you think beyond that moronic one liner? maybe ask why?

9. Gustav Banned Banned

and that was where i found myself yesterday
    a flashback to a similar incident that occurred several years prior to this one

repitition is the definitive human condition
    if you do not know this, you will

never ending, repetitious, garbage!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2007
  10. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

The asnwer's obvious. A better question would be why life here without him feels too safe. Sheep grazing happily without a wolf in sight.

I think it's good to have your values challenged. It helps you to work out what they actually are. Just don't be drawn in too deep. The wolf can't really hurt you but he will, given a chance, devour all your time and attention.

11. Gustav Banned Banned

you feel safer because wanderer is not here? please elaborate. flesh out the analogy while you are at it.
    just for kicks, what is the obvious?

is this specific to wanderer? or just a generalization?

12. Sciencelovah Registered Senior Member

Thank you all for your eloquent responds..

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Dear Cosmic,

thank you also for your respond. The thing is, nobody here is forced to read
    everything.. if we feel uncomfortable, we could always use an ignore button..

I agree if Satyr is banned, but I disagree if Silenus is also banned. Though
    they are the same person, if the later follows forum rules, I do not see why
    the later should be banned.

13. Reiku Banned Banned

I would like to know what it was that he has said or done that is sooooo bad compared to what the quantum zoo round here do anyway?

14. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

Oh, did I say me? Without him Sciforums feels too safe. Meaning staid; stale; boring; less entertaining; less thought-provoking; less surprising.

He holds no fear for me personally - not on any level. Even if he did have a key to my darkest thoughts, it's only the internet - I can always Ignore him, or switch off my computer screen and run away in blind terror. This medium isn't one I take awfully seriously - it's primarily an entertainment source to me, and little more, so the idea that I should somehow be frightened of a little bald Greek bloke (or is that his cousin, as he maintains? You'd know), typing reams and reams of lofty philosophy is one I find laughable. I'm occasionally engaged by what he has to say, but mainly amused by him; he knows this.

But, even taking his novels seriously, they hold no fear for me. I reject his basic premise: that Man has purpose, destiny, an ultimate goal, and that, whatever it is (I've never seen him clearly define it) we could somehow get there by acting like beasts in the field. I see that man is a social animal, with our greatest achievements coming from a mixture of co-operation and controlled competition. In almost every arena that our competitive streak is given free reign the results are almost always negative: poverty, corruption, death and destruction. Furthermore every attempt to massively re-engineer society on the scale he advocates, from the Great Leap Forward to the Killing Fields, from Stalinist Russia to Nazi Germany, has ended in disaster on an unimaginable scale.

But perhaps the revolution he intends is more personal? A revolution of the mind. I can certainly see the value in emphasising individual mental strength but not in taking it to the extreme that he does. The dog-eat-dog social order he wants seems pointlessly destructive. What's the aim? A society of supermen, I suppose. All mediocrity purged. Good luck with that. I can't really empathise because I'm too much of a dull pragmatist to envision such a lofty ideal. A drugged, mindless ram, locked into a trajectory of birth, work and death, too stupid to conceive of more, too inarticulate to express it, too little time to pursue it. What would I know. What would any of us know.

He's a fascinating irrelevance.
    It's maybe not so obvious. I'm not sure why he offends people. Or who he offends. I've just explained why he doesn't offend me. I think you'd have to ask this question of one who he offends. He'd probably say that it's because he confronts people with their hypocrisies and their bullshit. I think the truth's probably more mundane. He's rude, condescending and habitually calls people nasty names. And some people don't like that.

Does Satyr offend you, Sciforums? Speak up.
    This...
    is a generalisation.

Whereas this...
    is specific to him.

15. greenberg until the end of the world Registered Senior Member

If I'm reading you correctly, you are disagreeing that Man has purpose, an ultimate goal? Do you think that Man has no purpose, no goal?

Whereas I certainly do not agree with some proposals of what that goal is or should be, I do think it is crucial that Man has a goal. Otherwise, one is stuck in the hell of agnosticism.
    Of course, if one is wealthy and healthy enough, one can afford agnosticism. But when the going gets tough or if one really wants to accomplish something, then agnosticism is not the way.

I think one has to make an effort to know.

I haven't been here long, so my experiences are limited.
    But I have to say that especially yesterday, I was offended - but by myself, seeing how ruthlessly I have wasted time on those integrity and racism threads, but not only there, elsewhere as well.
    Due to overexercising, I've been on mandatory rest these past two weeks, and my schedule went to shambles. I suddenly found myself with so much time. And -bam!- wasted it. Fortunately my muscles seem well enough to go back to the track now.

Anyway, my point is that posts like those by Satyr or Silenus can be an uncomfortable wake up call, perhaps even more in an indirect than in a direct way. Like starting to wonder Why am I reading this? Why I am so interested in this? and then touching on some parts in oneself that one would rather see they weren't there. It's convenient to lash out at whoever triggered that.

I'm not saying this in Saytr's or Silenus' defence. I find the mere notions of a satyr or a silenus repelling.
    The fact that it sometimes takes behavior like this to get people to get in touch with themselves speaks of the sad fact how spiritually bankrupt they might be. Being spiritually bankrupt is offensive to oneself. It hurts.
    Without posters like Satyr or Silenus, but in the company of mild, nice, proper posters, one might actually settle for the impression that all is well and that nothing bad could ever really happen to one.

16. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thats a very interesting viewpoint, greenberg.

17. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I agree, along with being wrong. Bad combination.

It is fine to be insulting if it is made up for with something else, but it sure wasn't made up for by being funny or intelligent, IMO. Without some compensation it gets annoying. He was the first one I've ever used the ignore button on.

18. Gustav Banned Banned

stop trolling shorty
    it is very unbecoming

19. Absane Rocket Surgeon Valued Senior Member

And she got James R to bail her out, right?

20. mountainhare Banned Banned

Someone always bails her out, or stifles the slightest criticism of her!

21. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

silenus is terribly disappointed that someone named green-something doesn't come over and engages him in an debate that will probably consist of glorious insults and truths.

i'm disappointed too. But I guess Silenus knows all too well human nature to really expect someone to come and fight without gloves.

miaow!

22. redarmy11 Registered Senior Member

It's not fighting. It's mental masturbation. I wonder if he has the physical prowess to match the undoubted mental prowess? I hope so. It's much harder to subdue people in life with mere words than it is on a forum. I asume that he does carry his philosophy over into real life. That it's not just some silly game.

23. shichimenshyo Caught in the machine Registered Senior Member

I found satyr to be the least charming of all the people I have yet encountered on here. Before I even directed any posts at her she took it upon herself to demean me with a colorful onslaught of insults. I know she may have been smart, but honestly shes not that smart if she couldnt conduct herself in a manner that is acceptable here. I know we all break the rules every once in a while, but to parade how intelligent you are by insulting every other person here despite how much you say you hate these forums and despite alll the warnings you get doesnt really display that much intelligence at all. Also if these forums are infested with only dullards and imbeciles why keep returning? Why not go find another place where "intelligence" of her caliber is properly recognized?