Six of the top 100 Science Fiction Adventure books on the Kindle store...

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by swivel, Jan 11, 2012.

1. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

...were written by a certain member of SciForums.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16% of the top selling books are by me. How freaky is that?

One of the other top Amazon SF writers blogged this week about my success:

http://thinkingscifi.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/diverting-the-amazon/

This is pretty crazy. Thanks again for all the encouragement and support over the years, all of you. I just hope this wild ride continues a little longer...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Congrats Swivel, I'm gonna have to order one of them sometime.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

Swivel, you should put this in the section "about the members"

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

Wow, that's fantastic - congratulations

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I am so jealous I refuse to congratulate you, or to acknowledge your achievement via a post in this thread.

9. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Thanks, everyone. It's crazy how things are going right now. I'm considering quitting my day job. I'm making a lot more at writing, and feel like I should be doing it fulltime.

Thanks again for all the support over the years!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Perhaps if you were to quit your day job the ideas you come up with not might be as easy to come by. If your job isn't that difficult and you enjoy it as well then I'd continue doing it until you find it not very enjoyable any longer. Congrats on your authorization!

11. kx000 Valued Senior Member

I have no idea of his greatness. I have no Idea what this thread is about, I came to learn, but then I didn't. At the very least I will congraulate who ever gets the end of this post. Congradulations.

EDIT: NVM I re-read that. Double congradualtions for succesfuly dealing with my foolry, dedicated reader of post #8 of this glorious thread. Seriously, I see it now. Congradulations. Your the best. Ever.

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Really, good job. Thats not bad at all.

13. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. Been a whirlwind. Just got my first email from a literary media company inquiring about TV/film rights.

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Wow. That you still have a day job is telling a lot about the profitability of writing books.

15. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I've heard it said that there are roughly 200 people who make a living just off their writing. That means they didn't get famous and rich from something else and parlay that into their writing, but make money solely for their craft. That's a tiny amount.

But I suppose it's 201. My last day at the bookstore is next Friday. I'll be doing this full-time after that.

16. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Could you give us a rough estimate how much you can make with an average novel? Also how long does it take to write one?

Let's run the numbers. Mind you, I am just pulling these numbers out of my ass. If it takes 300 hours to write the novel (1 hour per page), and it brings in 30K, then it is still $100 per hour, not so bad and there is always the possibility to get discovered or studios buying options on it.

17. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

It would be hard to tally the hours. It's not just the ones spent writing, revising, and editing . . . you have the hours spent promoting, marketing, selling. There's the hours spent daydreaming and plotting, scribbling notes. It's a ton of time.

As for earning, when does it ever stop? The stuff I wrote three years ago continues to sell. Hopefully it will for many more years to come. It would be fascinating to know the exact ratio, but I doubt it would be anything more than a guess. The book I've sold the most of is the one I spent the least time on, which really confuses the exercise.

I look at it this way: Writing is my hobby. The fact that it pays all my bills is quite silly. It's like someone who enjoys woodworking or gardening and finds that they are paid so well for it that they can just play at their hobby all the time.

18. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

When your hobby is that much fun that is the point where you stop working and you continue living even more.

19. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

A guess would have still been better than a nonanswer.

20. fedr808 1100101 Valued Senior Member

For which book?

21. swivel Sci-Fi Author Valued Senior Member

I'd say about $20.00 an hour over my entire lifetime would be the payout of the writing. That could double or halve depending on if my books continue to sell spectacularly well or fizzle.

Heck, I don't know how much I'll make this week, next month, next year. It's wild and unpredictable. I couldn't do this full-time if it weren't for my cheap lifestyle and my habit of saving.