Skeptics vs True Believers

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by James R, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yeah. The problem here is that these UFOs haven't been shown to actually be aircraft.

Utter crap.

Again, they haven't been shown to be craft.
    The best that can be said is that such phenomena have long written history.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river

Dy ; investigate

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No it does not. It depends on physical evidence.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
    No, nowdays it is either a UFO or explained by any number of other mundane means.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

So these Aliens travel many light years to buzz around earth, maybe kidnap some unlucky person in some out of the way place and undertake medical procedures, then buzz off back home again until they decide we are worth another buzz.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Why would any advanced civilisation undertake such missions in such secret and then just leave without leaving any evidence or at least announce themselves to us. Afterall they would have nothing to be afraid of.

And of course they have been investigated.One of the original investigators was Carl Sagan an avid believe that we most certainly are not alone.
    Guess what? Most were totally dismissed and explained and a small handfull remained as UFO.

8. river

We all know that a small number of sightings of UFO's are unexplained. I've known this for years.

It is good to know you you acknowledge this fact.

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I do not need to acknowledge it. Perhaps I give you too much credit. Do you know what UFO is the acronym for?
    Or perhaps your problem is simply equating Unidentified with Alien.
    You do understand what I'm saying?

10. river

From pads post #44
    My post ; river

Hmmmm.......

Do explain pad.

11. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

OK, UFO = Unidentified Flying Object, but does not = Alien Unidentified Flying Object. Perhaps too much

? Hmmm river?

12. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

Weed doesn't usually make one delusional.

13. river

To much for you. You have no idea what your even talking about. Other than explaining of the acronym of UFO. After that you have no idea. You really have no idea at all.

14. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

The irony...

Daecon likes this.
  15. river

Meaning...

16. Kristoffer Giant Hyrax Valued Senior Member

That I don't think you have much of a clue.

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm not going to comment anymore on your apparent confused state river, that situation appears par for the course for you over the last month or two.
    But maybe you will be able to explain all this away....

Again on the issue of Alien visitations, no one has yet answered my reasons as to why they are highly unlikely.
    [1] Why do they mostly appear to impressionable individuals out the back of no where?
    [2] Why do they on other reported occasions, appear to impressionable children, again in reasonably isolated circumstances.?
    [3] Why do they not properly announce themselves, or make their appearance before the White House, Westminster Abbey, the Kremlin or Canberra, or any seat of government or huge gathering of everyday people.?
    [4]Why do they not leave some physical evidence of their visitation.?

Remember in answering those queries, it needs to be assumed that any Aliens would be far in advanced of us, having travelled the distances required, so should not be afraid of any aggression by our puny attack/defence capabilities.

Being that much more advanced then us, even if they were aggressive, they would not want of anything, as whatever we have on earth would be readily available to any such advanced civilisations anywhere in our solar system, or any other solar system.

While I agree logic tells us that our Universe should be teeming with life, that same logic tells us that time and distance are natural barriers to contact, even at warp speeds.
    That also is not to say that we have not been visited by Aliens in the past, but again going to the crux of this question, WE HAVE NO EXTRAORDINARY EVIDENCE FOR ANY SUCH VISITATION:

18. river

Why so.....?

19. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Yeah, the old fall back.
    We've already (several times in fact) established fairly conclusively that my reading on the topic is far more extensive than yours. The major difference is that I'm not gullible.

20. river

The difference is your not objective to the facts. The data is what it is, facts.

21. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

So then why are you so ignorant of those facts?

22. river

Why are you? How can thousands of eye witnesses from presidents, military, astronauts, police and the public be so wrong, every time all the time?

23. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

river, demonstrate.

Extraordinary claims requires extraordinary proof. You asserted a claim not found in any accepted textbook on World War II, therefore you are required to demonstrate your claim or lose all credibility as a reliable source of information.

Iron Sky was fiction, not a documentary.

Wikipedia cites many contradictory stories about alleged Nazi UFOs. So they seem like made-up stories, lacking the corroboration of being grounded in reality.

http://magonia.haaan.com/2009/nazi-ufo-00-intro/ “Far from achieving any kind of respectability, by accepting so readily the existence of high-performance wartime German flying discs without, with a handful of honourable exceptions, bothering to make even the simplest of enquiries, ufology has again made itself look amateur, gullible, and easily manipulated. So no change there, then.”

RationalWiki points out “this allegedly sophisticated technology didn't exactly help them win the war” which coincides of no record of aircraft shot down by UFOs. The 'foo fighters' of WWII were seen both in European and Pacific theaters of war, but unlike actual war machines, didn't engage in war. That is consistent with pilots mistaking distant objects, meteors and mirages with actual wartime airspace threats.