Skeptics vs True Believers

Discussion in 'Pseudoscience' started by James R, Aug 19, 2015.

1. river

Any accepted books on World War 2. That is the key here. General books on this war would have no details on the secrets of German technology. You know that.

Look deeper and you will find amazing and profound information.

For example operation HighJump in Antarctica in 1945

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Functional military aircraft aren't secret -- they are known by the criteria that they wage war. Thus they have every expectation of being in the history books (like the V-1 and V-2), if they existed. They would be built by men and those men would be targets of Operation Paperclip, if they existed.

So while it is completely true that WWII pilots in both the European and Pacific theaters reported seeing things, those things were never demonstrated to be high performance aircraft, let alone hostile high performance military aircraft, let alone Nazi high performance military aircraft.

I linked to information. You did not review it. You did not contest its researched factual claims. You did not contest its arguments.

You did not link to anything. You did not demonstrate your claims. At best you have demonstrated an ability to repeat a story -- an act which does not make the story more credible.

Wrong year. There's plenty amazing about Operation Highjump -- the establishment one of a series of temporary bases in Antartica that doesn't having anything to do with fictional stories about Nazi UFOs and untruths told in fake Russian documentary films.

You did not demonstrate your claims.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

1946-1947

They came earlier after 6 months in tatters. And they mentioned they had aircraft that could go from pole to pole.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

Correct.
    They came back after 6 months, because thats the nice time to visit Antartica. I don't know what you mean by "earlier" -- if you are trying to imply they returned earlier than scheduled, you need to demonstrate that claim.

And even that misstates the schedule because the ships didn't depart until December 2, 1946 returning in late February. https://books.google.com/books?id=ZuMUEkB53zwC
    You need to demonstrate that claim. I do know 3 men (out of a crew of 9) died when their plane crashed. Since the operation involved transport of 4700 men, that was tragic, but not "in tatters."
    1) You need to demonstrate that claim. 2) That claim does not support your earlier claims about Nazi UFOs unless "they" refers to two different groups in the same sentence.

Like Operation Jade Helm 15, Highjump was a training exercise. “Operation Highjump was designed to train the US Navy for a possible war with the Soviet Union in the Arctic”.
    10.1017/S003224740600578X

8. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You missed out the word "false" in there.
    Much of the origins of the Nazi UFO mythos was created wholesale (in the 1970s) by a Nazi apologist and sympathiser (Ernst Zundel, with a couple of other names/ pseudonyms) as a teaser to get people to accept his view that the Nazis were a good thing.

No they didn't.
    I don't know if you're deliberately misrepresenting things here or if you're reading into what was actually said something you'd like to be true.

9. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

it's always amusing when the general public are rambling about what they think they know and such.

10. river

Your arrogance and ignorance is unfortunately amusing.

I'd rather not be amused.

11. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

funny, my comment was in support of a majority of your comments. i was backing you.
    so when you say my ignorance, i have to reverse it and point at you now.
    so now what ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

shrugs.

12. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

I am unsure if krash661's comment was directed at me, but I thank krash661 for the clarification that river's posts were not "rambling[‍s]" of the "general public."

That would be too scary a view of the general public to my mind.

13. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

no, not at all

even tho i am suspicious of this post,
    Likewise for the "Gray aliens" -- we first have "eyewitness" reports that only arose under years of hypnosis (which can be easily abused) and illustrations came out only after the 1964 episode "The Bellero Shield" of the Outer Limits. A decade later an NBC TV movie The UFO Incidentcemented this look in the popular culture.

don't worry about it tho,all in all.

14. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

beileve it or not, this whole conversation is intriguing for me.

edit-
    even tho this is massively obvious, i'm going to clarify that i'm a true believer.

15. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I'm certainly a believer in the fact that ETL must exist elsewhere.
    But I also accept that as yet we have no direct evidence for them other than numbers, extent or infinite nature of the Universe and the stuff of life being everywhere.
    I also accept the position that possibly earth may have been visited by Aliens in the past.
    But I also accept the premise that we have no evidence for such a visitation, and supporting that, the fact that time and distance makes contact difficult.
    The other obvious facts that are now well documented as to reasons if they have visited, as to why they do it in such isolation and secrecy, considering they are so advanced.

16. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

we might if the government's motive were for the betterment of mankind. the government's motive is control. and just as much as they crave control, they fear loss of control. knowledge is power, but power does not necessarily confer competence. the people at the top of these programs are intellectually very average. they are not capable of making proper use of what has been handed to them, but they have no intention in letting anyone else ever get a chance to solve the puzzle. and let's not forget there's also a real possibility that the government is being manipulated by the extraterrestrials for their own purposes.[edit] When you're dealing with beings whose intellect is so far beyond your own, i don't think it's safe to assume that they have your best interest at heart.[end edit] use your own judgement. that's all any of us can do. there's been so much secrecy and disinformation over the last fifty years, that it has become impossible to prove anything in the face of official denial. of course the flip side is nobody really believes anything that the government says. the only vindication i can imagine would be if the government finally revealed all of what they know about these aliens.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  17. sideshowbob Sorry, wrong number. Valued Senior Member

If the government did reveal "everything they know", true believers would still not believe it because it wouldn't be what they want to hear.

18. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Some sense in that statement.
    Conspiracy notions are strong in some.

19. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Not trying to hijack the thread, but this is relevant. Below is a picture:

of a bright spot near the center of a crater on the asteroid Ceres recently discovered.
    Science doesn't know what it is, or even what it might be. All we know for certain about it is that it is very bright in contrast to everything around it.

In the absence of experience with any similar image anywhere else, any theories about what it may be is sheer conjecture. Yet evidently, ufo enthusiasts have already taken this image as incontrovertible evidence that we are not alone.

Skepticism generally serves science better than conjecture, but it's not the same with superstition, particularly when someone who knows how gullible people really are see an opportunity to turn a buck. Have you got your Ceres "we are not alone" T-shirt yet? Better attend a rally.

20. krash661 [MK6] transitioning scifi to reality Valued Senior Member

just to reiterate,[excluding post 76]
    it's always amusing when the general public are rambling about what they think they know and such.

21. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

22. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

A mineral deposit that's at just the right angle to reflect sunlight towards Earth?

23. rpenner Fully Wired Valued Senior Member

That's not in evidence. What is in evidence is that it's lighter than the surrounding region. Thanks to nonlinear optical response, the unattributed images don't allow us to say if the patch is as white as new snow, but even dirty snow is lighter than dusty rock.

krash661 likes this.