Slavery. Is it time to pay the money back?

Discussion in 'History' started by Captain Kremmen, Jul 26, 2007.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

Ethnic groups: white (of which English 83.6%, Scottish 8.6%, Welsh 4.9%, Northern Irish 2.9%) 92.1%, black 2%, Indian 1.8%, Pakistani 1.3%, mixed 1.2%, other 1.6% (2001 census)

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Willy Banned Banned

If "people" want to stay in "Africa" I don't care.
    People should never be "taken" from anywhere.
    Are you really asking me why it would be better if people had never been inslaved?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So why do the 3% bother you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Willy Banned Banned

I am bothered that the 3% commits alot of crime here.

8. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

The other 97% dont commit crime?

9. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

So what of all the times that the native peoples of Great Britain have been captured or enslaved by other countries. I mean we've had the French Ruling, The Vikings and The Romans. All involving persecution to an extent, should those people of England that are the descendants of raped slave girls and fearing clans also ask for money for what history has thrown at them?

In essense those that live today do not agree with those policies of old, this is proven by not just the abolishment of the slave trade but the continued policing of such trades being commited illegally. The Universal Declaration of Humans Rights was also founded to maintain that such slavery will never occur again, of course all this cost, it cost the lives of those that were slaves and that is where you should look to for remembering, to repay would mean that nothing would have been achieved.

10. Willy Banned Banned

In Washington State, blacks make up 23 percent of the inmate population in the state Department of Corrections, while constituting just 3.4 percent of the state population, state officials say.

http://members.tripod.com/~ronmull/racism.html

11. mountainhare Banned Banned

Nick:
    Come now, Nick. It's not like you to feign obtuseness. Of course whites commit crime. But non-whites seem to commit a larger, disproportionate amount of the crime.

12. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Racial profiling is a serious issue in the United States.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

How do you know?

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually since it is not like Europeans or Americans went over and captured slaves, I say tough shit. The African tribes were preying on each other for slaves LONG before Europeans and Americans entered the scene. Hell, they still have slavery. We did not prey on them one damn bit. Slaves were offered freely as part of trade for Rum among other things. Those nations that sold slaves already had their recompense and since EVERY tribe did it at some point, none of them have the right to be boitching.

15. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

It is like that, actually. Partially, anyway.

While you naivette is endearing, you really ought to research a little and inform yourself. Otherwise, you risk looking silly.

Exactly how much rum is a person worth, according to you?

Actually, even if we assume you're correct, I wasn't aware that the Europeans and Americans who traded rum for slaves then set all the slaves free as a matter of principle. I was under the impression that they willingly shipped the slaves off to work on their plantations. But I'm sure I must be wrong, since all Europeans and Americas were fine upstanding supporters of human rights for all. Right?

And no slave trading ever happened in Europe or America, did it, once the African slaves arrives there? There was no on-trading going on in markets in the US, for example. Was there?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  16. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Pay attention next time in Wolrd historyy class, I know you have the brain to absorb the knowledge. Slavery existed in Africa before there were Romons. Hell even before their were Pharoahs. And the best rule of thumb in business is minimize expenditures. trading lives for slaves is expensive, trading baubles and liquor...much cheaper.

Are you kidding me? Your the one looking a bit silly to the world. Those tribes captured slaves and SOLD them for goods. Even if the traders had not bought them the people still would have been slaves. Quite a bit of Africa still does this. yes we took advantage of the goods offered,

Me personally, I would never trade a person for rum, but that is besides the point, someone did and they weren't forced to.

I'm not defending the actions of anyone in the situation. I'm just saying that there is no reason to punish people today for what wasn't even a crime when it happened. Yes it was morally wrong, but it wasn't illegal.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  17. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Oy vey, the stupidity of your comments is astounding.. Actually the traders in question took the slaves and sold them on market. I would suppose a few buyers set the slaves free, but it matters little at this point. For the slaves it was slavery in that tribe or slavery in another country. Once they were captured by the slave trading tribe they were pretty much screwed.

As for the trading that happened in this country, yes, in our infancy we had slave trading. However that was abolished long ago. Same cannot be said for a good deal of Africa and the Middle East.

18. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

TW Scott:

And that is relevant because...?

So, there was no fault on the part of the buyers; only the sellers. Interesting willful blindness on your part.

Every transaction involves supply and demand. No demand - no market. Get it?

No worries about that. The people who did that trading are not alive today.

So, it was ok then. Interesting.

It didn't need to be. Americans and Europeans condoned slavery and made many slavers rich. So, your point that "We did not prey on them one damn bit" is just a little stupid, wouldn't you say?

Try to stay on topic.

19. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I may have been a bit out in my estimation that the money owing is $3 Trillion. In 2001 it was estimated at $8 Trillion. Human beings were the oil of their day. Their muscle strength powered everything.

20. mountainhare Banned Banned

James:
    Can you demonstrate that the crime rate disparity between blacks and non-blacks is solely due to 'racial profiling'?

21. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Maybe someone has already said this:

Britain gained from slavery, but so has almost every country in the world.

However, Britain was almost singularly responsible (directly and indirectly) for ending slavery around the world.

22. G. F. Schleebenhorst England != UK Registered Senior Member

Perhaps someone can actually give a decent reason why slavery is wrong.

Maybe even tell us whose fault slavery is?

23. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Think of it as working all day every day and being taxed a 100% of your income.

Any takers?