smoking or drinking?

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by lucifers angel, Aug 18, 2009.

1. lucifers angel same shit, differant day!! Registered Senior Member

We see a lot adverts for alcohol, but ciggerette advertising has been banned, and after a fairly long discussion with a friend the other night, who said that they have banned ciggerette advertsing because of the health reasons that come along with smoking, we all know it causes cancer and many other illnesses, however doesnt driniking also cause illnesses, drinking has been known to cause prostate cancer, liver damage, stomach cancer and heart disease. Alcohol is estimated to cause 28,000 excess deaths per year in England and Wales.(181) 2,000,000 deaths per year worldwide.

so why is it that ciggerette advertsing has been banned but not alcohol advertising?

Also which one is worse for the body?

I would really love someone to clear up the discussion with my friend, because she said smoking is worse for you but i think they are on the same length, your opinions

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nyr Registered Senior Member

One thing I do know is that smoking damage is irreparable. The effects of drinking, however, can gradually wear off.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

further more a little (one glass a day) of alcohol has been shown to be good for you. It DOES increase the risk of cancers of the mouth slightly but it improves cardiovascular health (so there is a trade off but only a small one)

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

more than anything i think, is that the government wants to use cigarette smoking as a scapegoat for everything, all the while taxing the hell out of it because they know of it's addicting properties (guaranteed revenue). it's actually all the chemicals that they add to cigarette tabacco that greatly increase it's addictive nature and cause most cancers.

it's all a smoke screen. pardon the pun.

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ah yes, yet another paranoid delusion from Lori. Do you ever stop making stuff up?

9. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't go that far... cigs are becoming the scapegoat... of the smokers I have known who have passed on...everyone of them were heavy drinkers also

10. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

I emagine thers to much "lobby" money an to many people hooked on ther drug of choice (booze) to get much goverment acton in that directon... much less to out-law it escept for medicional purposes only.!!!

11. Nyr Registered Senior Member

In fact it's also amazing how much support the tobacco industry has from governments... the cigarette companies (think Marlboro Man) have tremendous power in the legislatures, just from the amount of revenue they bring in. Think about it this way, why isn't cannabis legal. Yeah, there are a lot of health risks to it, probably more so than tobacco, but there are benefits. But no, cannabis has been pushed to the wrong side of the law, and I wouldn't be surprised if tobacco-power had a role to play.

Take a look at these links:
    http://www.globalissues.org/article/533/tobacco
    http://www.thehempire.com/index.php/cannabis/cannabis_hemp/why_cannabis_is_illegal

12. John99 Banned Banned

there are no real benefits to cannabis. i know some people like smoking weed but that old wives tale has run its course.

13. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

you only wish it was true.

14. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

that's not true. it's a prescribed medication for nausea and pain, can relieve anxiety, and is not physically addictive like most pharmaceuticals.

15. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

not real sure about that...depends on what level you take the drinking.

sure maybe lower parts of the body recover...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. John99 Banned Banned

i think it is very true.

if anyone is smoking pot for pain relief they are going to be in a hell of a lot of pain, for that matter you can just as easily say that drinking is much more effective at that. weed doesnt relieve anxiety but causes it and sometimes it is pretty bad anxiety.

now for terminal patients who want to smoke, does it really matter that much? i can see it possibly being beneficial but it will make the whole ordeal a little stranger\weirder, but then maybe easier for some...i really dont know.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yes... an i know people who smoked it ever day but coud quit any time the wanted to... they jus never wanted to i supose :scratchin:

18. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

mm hmm...

that's probably what would be called drug abuse.

it all depends. you could say the same thing for food...if you eat to live it's a good thing, but if you live to eat it's probably a bad thing. know what i mean?

19. John99 Banned Banned

but that is the problem with all drugs. you dont need them but once you try them then that may no longer be the case. you do need to eat though.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Uh, earth to Lori, some drugs are narcotics while food is not.

21. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

That's what I thought as well.

22. PieAreSquared Woo is resistant to reason Registered Senior Member

yeah..it's in the AA literature .

23. Lori_7 Go to church? I am the church! Registered Senior Member

marijuana is not physically addictive, and as you don't need drug a drug like marijuana to survive, it could improve one's quality of life quite a bit if used for the right reasons.

if someone is in chronic pain, it can help them cope with that pain. the pain causes a lot of mental and emotional stress on those who suffer chronically. and i've known someone who has testified to using it this way, and he said it helped him quite a bit. i know from experience that it also relieves nausea. in regards to anxiety, it has to do with the state of mind of a person prior to use. if you are calm, and using it recreationally, then some people do react with a sense of paranoia. but if you are experiencing a lot of stress and anxiety prior to use, the drug will often times ease it to the point where you're able to function and cope. it probably depends on the person i would imagine. but if you can avoid using an addictive pharmaceutical, that's always a good thing.