So what is the correct protocol for complaining about mod behaviour?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Dr Lou Natic, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

LOL. And I got a nice healthy chuckle just imagining why you posted that.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Roman Banned Banned

Hey, Tiassa just locked that thread because he got tired of people disagreeing with him.
    Tiassa: "Here's how I see it."
    Other People: "We disagree."
    Tiassa: "Fine, thread LOCKED."

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

Pretty much..........But he insults Angrybell first for just stating what is true.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

You said you were done with the issue. And you hadn't bothered posting in the place reserved for you to make your complaint. Why bother leaving it open for trolls like ABS and Roman, who want to complain without reading the topic? I mean, Roman's question was already answered, but that didn't seem to matter.

Like I told you, Shorty, people need to tell us why they disagree, or even that they disagree. Simply trolling and asking questions that have already been answered? Like Roman's other appeal to me, claiming to have read the topic and asking that it be reopened in order to address my "lunacy". What was wrong with addressing it the first time?

Two-bit, cheap trolling.

• • •​

See above. Also see my response to your private message.

8. shorty_37 Go! Canada Go! Registered Senior Member

How do you know he didn't read it, if he says he did :shrug:

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

To reiterate yet again:

Like I told you, Shorty, people need to tell us why they disagree, or even that they disagree. Simply trolling and asking questions that have already been answered? Like Roman's other appeal to me, claiming to have read the topic and asking that it be reopened in order to address my "lunacy". What was wrong with addressing it the first time?

You are welcome to address those points.

After all, the question—

"What is this shit, and why didn't the mods close it down, instead of taking the time to pander to shorty's attention seeking?"​

—had already been addressed. Twice.

10. Roman Banned Banned

Can I not say I disagree, then you say, what do you disagree with, rather than throwing a tantrum?

What if I don't have the time to sift through 12 pages of threads and write a couple pages on why we disagree? Should I make some sort of snipe about how I don't get to sit around smoking pot and not working?

Sum it up for me in three sentences, or less.

'Cause what I've managed to understand, you started the thread because... shorty_37 didn't understand something Orleander said and prodded for more, and it may have been troll-like?

11. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

See your Inbox. Let me know.

12. Gustav Banned Banned

stop being so accommodating, tiassa
    i say both barrels

13. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Yeah, after all the complaints we hear about "fascist" moderators, an attempt to accommodate a disgruntled member as much as possible has pretty much blown up in my face. Life goes on. Note for the future: Don't bother trying to help, just shut 'em up.

Sad, really.

14. Reiku Banned Banned

''Is there a way to express dissatisfaction without getting in trouble?''

Yeh// sure.... just tell them they will hung///:bugeye:

15. Gustav Banned Banned

so ahh

so you have complained
    you have been presumed rational
    the objective is to prevail

allusions dont work in sci
    you need citations
    quote like there is no tomorrow
    dig up patterns of misconduct
    cite em too

ridicule till the cows come

oh
    unless the possessor of an overly principled disposition......never pick a battle you cannot win

16. Challenger78 Valued Senior Member

Out of pure curiosity, has any mod been banned for abuse of power ?.

17. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

EF was fired for abuse of power

18. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

abs is a troll to the core

19. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

Guys, I used to post here all the time. Unfortunetly, I got into a nasty incident with a moderator who kept editing my posts and threads because he did not like the topic I was speaking of, or the arguments I was making. He said he was "getting complaints" from community members about the topic. Rather than address the topic of discussion, it turned personal... and damned ugly real quick. I tried talking to both him and Pofiry, but nothing changed. The only way to stop the whole debacle was for me to finally appeal to a moderator who I also knew, who was nice enough to lock down the thread. The kind moderator has since left... and this incident was at least 5 years ago. What it demonstrated is that the moderators themselves (and the offending Moderator is still at Sciforums) can be just as irrational and immature as the forum users they accuse.

What it demonstrated to me is that some moderators don't care, some stand on top like God to censor and ridicule for their own kicks, and those who see what's beeen going on have been leaving for some time. Most of the time I show up just to check out the outlandish stuff in the Cesspool... which is ironic because it's supposed to be the embaressments of Sciforums. I would be interested in seeing how many hits the Cesspool gets versus the other threads.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Don't bother caring. This website belongs to someone else, and there are loads of forums to post on elsewhere on the internet. Don't waste your emotional energy on this place. Don't care if you get banned. The moderators control the flow of discussions and information, which in turn controls the opinions and results of each topic. It's typical in American politics, even from those who profess in "free speech". But this is not a free speech situation. If the moderators do not like how you think, they can make it hard on you. Don't bother

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

There are?

21. Xevious Truth Beyond Logic Registered Senior Member

Sure are

Just look around. If you don't like it here, take a hike. It's all you can do if you don't have the power to make change.

22. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

i happen to know of a forum that has very relaxed moderation, and the only personality clashes that have happened were between myself and the owner of the site.
    but he is a douchebag anyhow.

its possible, but mods/admins have to relax the reins of power.
    gebruik uw stemmen, mensen!

23. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

I know of an online forum which has practically no moderation at all. It is mostly filled with little boys puffing themselves up, trading "laddish" insults and sex talk, demeaning women, intolerant of difference (vis homosexuals and people of other races in particular). The total membership there is less than 50 people; it's a closed shop antagonistic to anybody not in the "cool" in-crowd. It is also a haven for several people with apparent psychiatric issues, whose declining mental instability is seemingly encouraged.

If it came to a choice between there and here, I think only somebody deeply insecure and in need of attention would choose to go there.

The atmosphere of any site is affected by the administrators and the moderators, as well as the general membership.

I'm very glad sciforums is nothing like the place I'm thinking of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.