Social Networking Disputes

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Mickmeister, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

Today on Facebook, there was a huge dispute/argument on my profile between three of my friends who have never met. I know all three of them in real life. As usual, the dispute degraded to a personal lever not pertaining to the topic at all. It even got down to asking me how I could be a friend of the other; basically wanting me to take sides.

How do you deal with huge disputes like that? Do you get involved, delete the thread, or just remain silent? I am not taking sides on it because I think all three are wrong in different ways of the dispute.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. jmpet Valued Senior Member

I am pretty careful with who I make my friend... do you have 100 or more friends?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

be honest, be simple, be straightforward.

either tell them where they are each wrong,
    or tell them you're not taking sides no mattr what.
    don't contemplate it a lot, it's no big deal, imo at least.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well it's completely down to the OP's own style. I mean you could be the silent type that just lets them act like a complete bunch of nitwits in the hope that it will eventually decay on it's own. The problem with this method however is if any of the people you know take the insults to heart, if they do then it might come to blows or worse (in a worse case scenario)

If the OP is a straight forwards type of guy, he could always just tell them openly to pack it in with a comment like "Stop acting like a bunch of kids guys" or something more profane (and/or profound), tell them to ignore each other or something.

Otherwise the OP's left with the default "Apathy" that people usually default to because they don't know how to handle a given situation.

I'd suggest going with whatever he feels comfortable with, which expresses his feeling and his own rational, after all those guys are his friend for him being himself, not conveying something expressed by an online forum

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Mickmeister Registered Senior Member

In the end, once the thread calmed down, I ended up deleting it. It got to the point of one asking me how I could be friends with the other and so on. I was like, I am not getting involved.

9. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Facebook disputes can only be solved through Thunderdome.
    2 men enter, one man leaves.

10. Quigly ......................... ..... Registered Senior Member

11. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

How bout, 1 man enters, and 2 men leave? Possible?

I say, leave Facebook alone, and stick with Sciforums.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Erm... thats not a Thunderdome even, more of a Paradox event. One man enters an arena with a machine, he stands their for five minutes and then jumps into it. The machine is for time travelling, he goes back 5 minutes in time and then leaves with himself. (A number of paradoxes occur here, he's missing from one universe, he doesn't do the time jump in the universe he just entered, there is now two of "him" in one universe.)

Obviously such events are only available at Sciforums... or not available... depends how you look at it

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

I prefer that scenario more than the one that results in, well, savagery.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm a blood drinking vampire lizard!

14. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Maybe..... but that seems like things would be less resolved at the end of the exchange. Murdering people that disagree is much more of a solid way to resolve problems.

15. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

Well....actually wait a minute....strength in numbers. The dispute is settled by creating a multitude of people who have the same viewpoint. The opposition would be unable to maintain their position regardless of how the argument was being fought. They would either lose democratically (assuming it was an issue of vote), through status quo, AND as a combatant (2 vs 1).