Sociopaths

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by skaught, Feb 20, 2011.

1. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Honestly? I think it's because an addict looks like a sociopath from the outside, that's all. But the internal dynamic, and the reachability? very different.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. birch Valued Senior Member

well, appearances can be deceiving. anyone with some experience in life and especially an adult should realize that. :bugeye:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Birch, I do sympathize with you and I do applaud your willingness to share your experience. Please don't ever think I don't appreciate your incites from your unique perspective. The best example of a narcissistic sociopath that I've ever seen was the original version of Caligula that played exclusively in Hollywood’s Pussycat Theater for over one year. The only version I've been able to find now is a pathetically watered down version not worth watching. I would like to watch the original version again, so if anybody knows where to find it let me know. It will be about 3 and ½ hours long. The crappy version is a little less than 2 hours.

Caligula was one guy you wanted to be as far away from and as unnoticed as possible.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

8. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

"Caligula was one guy you wanted to be as far away from and as unnoticed as possible."

Well he wasn't all bad.
    He loved his mum.
    And his sister and he was fond of horses too.

Dee Cee

9. birch Valued Senior Member

10. birch Valued Senior Member

like that means anything. i'm sure each sociopath has their own favorite flavor of ice cream. jeffrey dahmer loved his father and grandmother. why don't you tell the family members of his victims this? maybe they'd say you were an ass or crazy? i wonder if you'd be saying this if he had victimized you. i highly doubt it. you can say it because he's dead and you know he can't harm you.

11. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

His sister, he got her pregnant then he gutted her before the kid was born. My guess is he did them a favor, as continued life in that family sure wasn't worth living.

12. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Not enough to tangle with a sociopath, no. There's a lot of denial and a lot of indifference...and fear...but still a lot of dumb. And naivete. People don't see the sociopath for what they are until it's way too late every time-that's how they do it.
    You know what sort of malicious evil the worst of them are capable of. They can not only manipulate individuals, the skilled ones can manipulate the system as well.

And yes, there's all sorts of hoping for the best, and of simply failing to realize how bad it is.
    There's also a misperception that small children lie about this. Teens? maybe. Younger kids? not very likely.

Some of that's changing somewhat, as far as child sexual abusers go...but not nearly enough. Serial pedophiles are still able to rack up victim counts.

I grew up in the late 70's and sexual things weren't talked about with children...as if that somehow sheltered us.
    One of my victimizers would have never been able to get access to kids now-in retrospect he was a far too classic child sexual abuser.
    The one who tried to force me into his apartment at gunpoint was actually caught doing it to another child and sent up for same.

13. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

Oh dear.
    I've been back five minutes and bumped into the local loon.
    This is the internet, 30 seconds with google and you could have been in on the joke.
    If google is not your thing then can I recommend you grab a copy of Seutonus or Tacitus.
    I think you'd like Tacitus. Very moral and judgemental. Also has a thing about hairstyles.
    Romans. Go figure.

I think I'm going to like you birch

Dee Cee

14. Bells Staff Member

Birch, I understand you have been through some unimaginable horror. Those people may not be aware of the truth. It does not trivialise the pain of the victims or that of their family.

What it does show is that sociopaths are very good at being sociopaths, which is why they are so often and unfortunately successful in either killing or destroying the lives of others.

I have often seen family members and members of the community come out in droves and fight that the person who raped the girl next door for years on end is not a bad person and that he/she could never have done this. The public facade does not match the private one. And that is often the case with sociopaths. The majority do love their family or friends and do help in the community in some way or are friendly and funny - the types you'd never once consider as being able to commit such a fly - the whole 'wouldn't hurt a fly' types. In that sense, in the sense of how they loved those they loved and cared for, to those individuals, they weren't all bad.

It does not diminish their crimes of the horrors they have brought into the lives of others.

It just makes them sociopaths.

15. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

"His sister, he got her pregnant then he gutted her before the kid was born."

Yeah and he looked just like Malcolm McDowell too.
    Weird that.

Dee Cee

16. birch Valued Senior Member

yes, sociopaths are very well aware of how to use social norms or memes to their advantage as they are aware of them just like anyone else. the perpetrators also did this with me as they tried to put doubt in other's minds that i was accusing them falsely out of spite or that i was just a bad person. this is the classic 'blame the victim'. this is how they try to get sympathy to their side, pretending to be the concerned and especially long-suffering parent who has had to deal with this 'problem child'. the thing is, they conveniently leave out what they did. they can do this easily because they know there is no proof, that's their leverage.

so those who may have falsely accused make it that much harder for those who have been victims of real criminals to prosecute them.

there are also many people who do sympathize with perpetrators as well even naturally. it could be they just dislike the victim, they know the perpetrators and friends with them or because some of them tend to be sociopathic themselves etc.

17. birch Valued Senior Member

i'm not in a joking mood and there was no way to tell if you were joking or not. there are loons who would believe caligula wasn't all bad. you made yourself clear that you were joking. oh, good one. i'm laughing up a storm. it's loons who joke about sociopaths.

18. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

Righto. And the really brilliant ones don't have to do a thing themselves, they wind up their victims to destroy themselves, then sit back and watch with glee.

A chillingly interesting page...I linked it earlier, but here's a relink: http://www.sociopathworld.com

From what I can tell, it's actually written by a sociopath and has some sociopathic guest posters.

19. Bells Staff Member

Ummm ...

The mention of Caligula and 'mother and sister' should have been a good enough indication.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. DeeCee Valued Senior Member

"there are also many people who do sympathize with perpetrators.... some of them tend to be sociopathic themselves"

And here's me thinking that empathy was somewhat lacking in the sociopathic personality.
    Well we live and learn.

Dee Cee

21. birch Valued Senior Member

he did profess to love them at first. what kind of person jokes about sociopaths anyways?

22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

@ all

I'm mainly speaking to those who have had personal experience with sociopaths. I know the anger and pain may stay with you for life, but do you ever have fantasies about getting even or at least giving karma a helping hand? I'm sorry but I can't help it, not that I would ever do it. Whenever I watch a good revenge movie or any of the SAW series, I can't help putting her in the victim position, and I was just wondering this is just me or if others have similar fantasies.

23. Bells Staff Member

*Snort*

Have I told you I'm glad you're back?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Hmmm?

He said Caligula loved his mother...

A person who recognises that discussing sociopaths on the internet can at times require some jokes to lighten the mood.