Solar energy causing global warming.

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by esbo, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esbo Registered Senior Member

Sounds crazy doesn't it, at first glance, because solar energy is supposed to eb the solution to global warming ie no CO2.

Of course the elephant in the room is that solar energy takes energy from the sun and converts it into heat.

Now then you are drawing about 4 units of energy from the Sun to create about 1 unit of usable energy (if that), it seem to me they you can't be doing much ro reduce global warming. In fact it I would not be at all surprise if you were continuing to it.

Ob

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

That may be so, but there's no greenhouse effect involved, so the overall impact of the use of solar panels is minimal.

There could be some CO[sup]2[/sup] produced during manufacturing however.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. billvon Valued Senior Member

Every bit of global warming comes from solar energy. It's our planet's only source of external power. Absorb more energy, temperatures go up; absorb less energy, temperatures go down.

Ah, you're talking about solar power conversion. In that case, overall temperature rise goes down significantly. Energy captured by panels is moved away from the panels and used elsewhere, causing an increase in temperature. This is better than the increase in temperature caused by conventional power, which has THREE sources of temperature increase - the power plant itself, the power dissipated by the load and the increase caused by the power plant's CO2 emissions.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . .then again . . . . there's all that 'internal' heat energy (e.g., molten core? radioisotopes?) of the earth that may be contributing somewhat.

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I don't think so. Most of that remains underground.

9. Arioch Valued Senior Member

Not only that but that energy initially comes from the sun as well.

10. kwhilborn Banned Banned

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Well then I guess it would not surprise people to realize that a university study is now supported by Nobel prize winner Steven Chu, The United States Secretary of Energy.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/13/news/economy/white_roofs/index.htm

They want all roads and roofs to be white in color so they reflect sunlight back to space..

12. Arioch Valued Senior Member

So their answer is to increase the albedo of this planet even more? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

13. kwhilborn Banned Banned

Why! Dark colors trap sunlight and get warm, light (or white) colors reflect most of the sunlight and remain cool. The sunlight will reflect to outer space,

This is sort of a no-brainer if you ask me. Also The Secretary of Energy is no slouch, he has won a nobel prize in physics.

He is making sure all U.S. department of energy buildings will have white roofs.

14. wlminex Banned Banned

. . . perhaps we should pave all the roads and parking lots with aluminum foil! . . . tee hee

15. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why not? Higher albedo = more energy reflected.

16. Arioch Valued Senior Member

But at what cost? What are the other effects of having a higher than normal albedo? We've already increased the albedo of our planet with just our normal cities and roads, what effects will such a tact have? I, personally, don't think it's a very good idea to go messing about with such stuff.

17. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ Arioch

So you disagree with common sense, a University study, and Steven Chu who has won a Nobel prize in physics.

You think this might be taking our planet away from its normal state. Let us imagine for a second that mankind did not exist.

How much black exists in nature. Most of the land would be green or beige grasslands, some of which would be snow covered in the winter. The only natural blackness might occur after a forest fire.

You seem to be missing something? I don't understand your viewpoint at all. Here are some links so you can inform yourself better.

linked here for full article:
    http://www.physorg.com/news140875649.html

or

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/5389278/Obamas-green-guru-calls-for-white-roofs.html

or
    This one lessens helpfulness and talks about how much energy is being "albedo'd"
    http://www.drroyspencer.com/2009/05/white-roofs-and-global-warming-a-more-realistic-perspective/

or

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35150462/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/could-white-roofs-reduce-urban-heating/

If you want more try google. I cannot understand your viewpoint Arioch.
    Black color attracts energy in the form of heat, and the idea of white roofs is to offset global warming a bit. It is a no brainer.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps we should unpave all the roads and parking lots.

19. billvon Valued Senior Member

Or cover em with solar panels. Higher albedo AND generates power, reducing the need to burn fuel to generate power. And keeps your car cooler. And keeps snow and rain off the road.

20. Veselin Andreev Registered Member

change for go0d..!

THIS IS MORE LIKE BLAMING GOD, and not the impotent promises that we make to ourselves FOR THE MISERIES, disparity...!
    and i'd like to make a point .....without sun this place would freeze and there would be no you or me to reply on this....

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. GASHOLE Registered Senior Member

Global Warming does not exist.

22. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

I guess we are just reading the thermometers incorrectly.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

This unsubstantiated one liner seems to have the same immense depth, perspicacity and intellectual rigour of all your other posts. Still, once you leave kindergarten you should find the schoolwork more challenging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.