some cool sayings i made up

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Pollux V, Jun 1, 2001.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

They're from a scifi book I'm writing, I got the idea from reading 'dune.' The sayings are at the beginning of each chapter. Tell me what ya think. The story is currently 43 pages long, and I'll email it to anyone that asks.
    “We find that many humans amongst the explored Universe have almost no knowledge of the past exuberant history of their own species. Even though both countries have excellent schools and teachers, we find that people just don’t understand or rather care about the Emperor Hitler and his failed conquest across Ancient Europe or President Smith and his exploration of the stars. With the leaps in technology that changed the course of the Universe in the last century life hasn’t been the same for any person at all. In these turbulent times I’d rather find salvation reading about the bloody French Revolution than the headline of the morning transmission that would read: ‘Fifteen Billion lost as Exlesius Four shelled with Fusion Weapons.’ I only wish I could go back to when humans were worried about a ‘nuclear holocaust’ rather than the deaths of the trillions on Centaury Seven. But I bet I would find a good amount of people begging god to be able to see the future. Kind of ironic, isn’t it? It seems no matter what position in time we’re at we always want to be somewhere else.
    What is reality? Is it what you hear or see? What you touch or smell? Anything can be interpreted in an infinite amount of ways. The only things one can get a true perspective on are these two words: Cause and Effect. You need not any of our blessed senses if you can truly get an idea of the consequences of your actions
    Patience is virtuous to all beings seeking a satisfactory end result of an ordeal.
    Fear is logical only when it saves your life from overwhelming circumstances.
    The events that happen in-between a process do not matter; the end result is all that counts.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

It would be better if you could condence your ideas into fewer words. They would seem more profound and less...wordy.

Someone once said that genius is simplicity.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Fear

Shrike,

I don't think that fear is ever logical. Rather that it's what you feel when logic fails, particularly in situations that put your survival in question. When logic tells you survivability is ZERO, fear takes over and you often respond in ways completely inappropriate - and sometimes survive.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Have you seen <i>Vertical Limit</i>?

8. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Vertical Limit

Don't believe I have, Bowser. Don't get to the movies too often but if it's on V HS or DVD I can maybe latch on to it.