Some Thoughts on Philosophy

Discussion in 'The Cesspool' started by RonPrice, Jul 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonPrice Mr RonPrice Registered Senior Member

Having given some thought to philosophy over more than half a century, I'll post this link to my website: http://www.ronpriceepoch.com/PHILOSOPHY.html

My website on the subject of philosophy divides the field of philosophy into: classical, medieval and modern, three separate sub-divisions and three separate webpages. Readers who come to this introductory section on philosophy are advised to click on one of the other sub-sections at the top-right if they want to continue reading on the subject of philosophy in one of those 3 time-periods. Readers who want some of my take on other disciplines, other topics, should go to other sections of this website. Readers can click on any one of the many other sections found at the top of this access-page. Given the inevitable, and in this 21st century, necessary interdisciplinary nature of so many fields of study, I encourage readers to go to some of the other sub-sections of this website, dealing as they do with: history and political science, economics and sociology, religion and the print and electronic media, inter alia.

This introductory section on philosophy also includes the subject of "political science" toward the end of this webpage. There is much more to political science than the endless partisan discussions that fill the air-waves day after day and night after night. The daily dose of the serious and the trivial from the world of partisan politics and popular culture is often important, sometimes entertaining, but sometimes highly complex, indeed far-too complex for your average punter requiring, as many subjects often do, a knowledge-base far in excess of the basic facts of the news-item in question. Many issues are dealt-with in a two-minute, a 30 second, or a 10 second fact-grab or sound-bite; the viewer is often left at the end of "the news" with an assortment of stuff that requires the sport and the weather to neutralize the heat, the sound and the fury.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Part 2:

The significant is, as Shakespeare noted, often reduced to nothing but an endless and frenetic passivity in our contemporary world. "Would you like a cup-of-tea, dear?" For a helpful video to introduce philosophy with an emphasis on St Augustine and the Romans go to: This video could more properly be part of the classical or medieval philosophy sub-sections of this website, but I place it here as a type of enticement especially for those with little background in philosophy. The video is part of The School of Life series made by Alain de Button for u-tube.

I have studied, taught, and written about political science and philosophy for at least 60 years, 1955 to 2015. I had a decade, 1949 to 1959, of warm-up in the home of parents who took their politics, their partisan politics, seriously. For some years in my late childhood & early adolescence, my parents belonged to a small political party in Canada and they often held meetings in our home. Those years innoculated me against the whole field of partisan politics. But I still took an interest in the field of political science; I just avoided the partisan variety. Now, in the evening of my life, I continue my study of both political sceince and philosophy in my private life. The result of this study are the many posts on this webpage, on many other pages of my website and at many other locations in cyberspace. When this 4th edition of my website was in the planning phase nearly 5 years ago in September 2010, my website design company & I divided the field of knowledge into more than 80 sub-divisions. I did not include the subject, the discipline, of political science at the time, and so I have added it in the more than four years since this 4th edition "went live" on 21/3/'11.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. danshawen Valued Senior Member

I think you are right. Philosophy has played out. Good riddance.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Reported for spamming.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat ― Closure

The thing is that if we want to be linking our own blogs, websites, and other work, it should be more than de facto spam in the form of crossposting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.